Fix Home Page from disappearing

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 13 2019 2:26 PM

It's been too long with the Home Page disappearing. I've been told it's on the back burner when it really should after so long a time, have been put on the front burner a long while back. 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 255
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 3:33 PM

This no longer seems to be happening to me in 8.8 beta 3.

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 4:37 PM

Actually it is. I've got the latest Beta and the Home page is disappearing still. I'm wondering if we're on the same page. 

Let's say I have the Home page open. Then I open up anything in Logos, for example a Dictionary then close that Dictionary. Immediately, the Homepage goes upwards and disappears as it did before.

This is also done when bringing back the Homepage, clicking on another open program such as Word. Going back to Logos, the Homepage again goes upwards doing a disappearing act. 

The Layout problem has been fixed but not the Homepage disappearing, or at least not on my system here. 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 5:10 PM

I can't reproduce that. The Home page reappears after I open then close a resource.

Bootjack:
Let's say I have the Home page open. Then I open up anything in Logos, for example a Dictionary then close that Dictionary. Immediately, the Homepage goes upwards and disappears as it did before.

What you're describing is the opposite of what I see happening. When I close the dictionary, I'm momentarily left with a blank layout, then the Home page slides down over that layout.

The Home page is positioned (layered) above a layout, such as a single dictionary. The Home page slides down to cover any layout, and slides up to reveal it. It's not located underneath any layout.

I wouldn't expect the Home page to be completely visible (after closing a dictionary) then slide up and disappear, since it should have already slid off-screen when the dictionary was opened.

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 5:19 PM

Thanks for your reply. As long as I've owned Logos (up to Logos 8) closing anything in Logos, whether a Dictionary or a Layout etc, would immediately bring the Homepage back up. 

You say you "wouldn't expect the Homepage to be completely visible after closing a Dictionary" ... I would, especially if the Dictionary was the only thing I had opened. 

I never saw the Homepage slide upwards and disappear either when closing out everything I had opened in Logos but I certainly do now and also with this Beta 3. 

And of course when the Dictionary is opened, the Homepage is going to disappear. But that's not what I'm saying.  

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 5:40 PM

I'm not on the beta, so someone else would have to comment on whether the behavior has changed from the stable version.

Bootjack:
As long as I've owned Logos (up to Logos 8) closing anything in Logos, whether a Dictionary or a Layout etc, would immediately bring the Homepage back up.

Yes, and it reappears for me in about a second, taking into account the animation duration of it reappearing.

Bootjack:
You say you "wouldn't expect the Homepage to be completely visible after closing a Dictionary" ... I would, especially if the Dictionary was the only thing I had opened. 

Completely meaning "instantly visible," rather than taking a moment to slide down and be visible again.

You said you see the Home page then it disappears. Do you instantly see the Home page, or does it slide down, but then slide up?

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 5:58 PM

Thank you again for your kind response.

I've got one computer with the stable version and one with the Beta 3. Both have the same problem. 

Let's say I boot up Logos. The Homepage is there. 

I open a Dictionary. Closing the Dictionary should take me back to the Homepage. It doesn't. It just goes blank. 

Now let's say I boot up Logos again from a cold boot. I open the Dictionary. I close the Dictionary. The Homepage goes upwards and disappears. 

I then manually open up the Homepage again. 

I then click on another icon which is Word and Word is opened. Clicking back on the Logos Icon on the Taskbar brings me back to Logos. 

When I do that, the Homepage once again goes upwards and disappears. 

This is a problem that Home Office has reproduced on their systems. 

They said they were aware of the problem. 

They said it was on the backburner and not a priority. 

I say it should be a priority. It comes across to me at least, as sloppy. 

This has been going on for months and my thoughts are, it should have been fixed a long while ago, at the same time understanding there's other bugs they're working on also. 

And you say you are not able to reproduce this what I am describing to you? If we are indeed on the same page you and I, it does seem strange you are not able to reproduce it and yet Home Office does.  

Posts 255
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 9:42 PM

Ok I forgot the problem details...yes it is still doing it as you described. The dictionary is a good example but any opening any panel seems sufficient to cause the issue

If you just launch Logos, switch to another app and then switch back, then the problem does not happen.

If I leave the dictionary open, then return to the Home screen, switch apps and back, it returns to the dictionary.

If I from the dictionary panel either close the dictionary, or 'Close All' then switch, it returns to the blank screen.

However if after opening a panel, I return to the Home Screen first and then select 'Close All', after the switch it returns to the Home Screen. Perhaps you could change your close panel workflow to this method for now? You can even bind these commands to 2 shortcuts in the bar next to each other 'Show Home' and 'Close All'.

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2019 1:00 AM

Thank you Kevin for your reply. If you mean by a 'Panel' to be what I understand as a 'Layout' then the problem is linking Dictionaries or Lexicons. I was told the underlying problem lies in this area by Home Office (Chat). 

If I link those and 'close all' then Logos crashes. If I unlink those (and I always click on Active Update) then closing all brings me right back to the Home screen. 

But that there's a glitch here just the same, is as you know, too obvious & which in my judgment should have been fixed a long while back. 

If memory serves me correctly, this came along with Logos 8 or with an update shortly thereafter. 

Again, thank you for the suggestions. 

Posts 26769
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2019 10:55 PM

Bootjack:
If you mean by a 'Panel' to be what I understand as a 'Layout' then the problem is linking Dictionaries or Lexicons.

Just for clarity for those reading the thread:

• Layouts, which can be saved and opened, are one or more windows consisting of panes containing panels (or tabs).
  • Panes are the divisions of the window contents (i.e. not the scroll bars, application bar, tool bar associated with Windows apps) which contain panels (tabs) that are the resources, documents, and tools of Logos.
  • Panels (or tabs) are the resources, documents, and tools filling a particular pane in a particular window of a particular layout.

Unless I misremember the language of the Help document.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS