Teach the Text Important Question

Page 4 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 71 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1835
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2019 7:21 AM

Mattillo:
I really wish they would have squeezed out the volume on John before cancelling though... but oh well.

I concur. I just got this series yesterday and I'm preaching John 3 next Sunday. Oh well!!  I'm just tickled that I got the 21 volumes at such a GREAT price.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 199
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 12:10 AM

Well,

What can I say...

I bought this series from a competitor last month. I preferred to have this in Logos. Since I am still within my return window with the other company I went ahead and bought the Logos version.

But... I am not happy.

The photos (most of the ones I have seen so far) in the Logos version have a really poorly done vignette applied to them. This is very distracting to me and does the photos a dis-service. Before some one someone says "that is probably how they received them..." the competitors photos do not have this issue.

Is there a "valid" reason for the edited photos? Can we get this changed (that is can we get the un-edited version of the photos put back into the resources)? 

An example from the volume on Luke....

From Logos:

The other guys:

Does this bug any one else?

Posts 937
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 1:11 AM

Has anyone used the Exodus volume profitably? It's written by Desmond Alexander who wrote an extensive Exodus commentary in the AOTC series. However at first glance the Teach The Text volume seems very light on detail. However, brevity and insightfulness aren't mutually exclusive. Any thoughts anyone? I certainly wouldn't have paid full price, but is it worth $9.99?

Posts 937
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 4:49 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Hi, Paul!

I have John F. Evans' Guide to Biblical Commentaries, 10th edition. So not speaking for myself, but quoting (mainly freely) Evans. The first Psalms Commentary by Bullock (2015) gets a "suggested for purchase" bold star. (The second Ps. Commentary by Bullock was published later, so Evans has not read or evaluated it whilst his Guide was written and produced - hence he can make no recommendation, although saying "if I were pastoring I think I might make this my first pick when it's complete.").

The other TTC commentaries that Evans considers "worthwhile purchases, but not as first priorities" (which nevertheless get a star) are: Daniel by Pierce (evangelical dispensationalist), 1 & 2 Samuel by Chisholm (while criticizing it's briefness), Job by Estes (criticizing the fact how much the speaches of Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar get space for sermon prep), Luke by R.T. France (which Evans calls "a model vol.") and Revelation by Duvall (criticizing the illustrations part).

The other vols. he has either not seen, read or were not yet produced at the time of the writing.

Hope this helps - at least somewhat!

Olli

Does John F Evans have anything to say about the Exodus volume? 

Posts 3229
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 5:06 AM

I’m surprised best commentaries still has the exodus volume listed as still in publication

Posts 61
DanC | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 12:58 PM

The difference in picture quality is surprising. 

I purchased the 21 volume from Logos in July for over twice of what it is going for now. I just called customer service to see if the July purchase could be returned, or if I could get some credit on my account and was told no. They said I only have a 30 day window to return the product and no credits can be given. Oh well, I asked. :) 

Posts 6
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 2:27 PM

Paul,

I'm afraid not. He only mentions Alexander's TTC Commentary as forthcoming.

Posts 937
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 10:40 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Paul,

I'm afraid not. He only mentions Alexander's TTC Commentary as forthcoming.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Posts 3229
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 7:44 AM

Paul

I own both of the volumes you referenced above and I'd say that if you own the AOTC (which I believe is newer) than you wouldn't need the TTT Exodus volume.  I briefly went through both and the TTT is obviously much briefer.  The only thing you gain out of the TTT is the preaching examples so that is up to you if $10 is worth that.  Another odd thing is that the TTT Exodus didn't have any pictures or graphics as I skimmed through it so I wonder if this was one of the last ones to make it out the door, albeit a bit rushed.  If you would like a sample, tell me where sir!  When I taught Exodus a few years ago the AOTC was one of my favorites along with the NIVAC and NAC volumes.

Posts 937
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 8:44 AM

Mattillo:

Paul

I own both of the volumes you referenced above and I'd say that if you own the AOTC (which I believe is newer) than you wouldn't need the TTT Exodus volume.  I briefly went through both and the TTT is obviously much briefer.  The only thing you gain out of the TTT is the preaching examples so that is up to you if $10 is worth that.  Another odd thing is that the TTT Exodus didn't have any pictures or graphics as I skimmed through it so I wonder if this was one of the last ones to make it out the door, albeit a bit rushed.  If you would like a sample, tell me where sir!  When I taught Exodus a few years ago the AOTC was one of my favorites along with the NIVAC and NAC volumes.

Thanks Mattillo.  I've decided to return the TTT Exodus and perhaps get the AOTC volume when next on sale.  I've settled on Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, 1 Corinthians and Revelation, which with the exception of Mark all appear in Denver Seminary's top NT commentary recommendations.  I also picked up the 2 Psalms volumes, which were rated as very good for preachers in the John F Evans guide to commentaries.  It would have been nice to get all the volumes (especially at $132.65) but I need to keep an eye on the budget too, so it seemed sensible to get the ones with the best recommendations at this stage.  

Posts 1835
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2019 9:09 AM

Roy:
The photos (most of the ones I have seen so far) in the Logos version have a really poorly done vignette applied to them. This is very distracting to me and does the photos a dis-service.

Confirmed! I just skimmed the first 4 chapters of Luke in this resource and there are several images that appear to have a "glare" on the scanner. Sometimes on the top, sometimes on the left (and/or right). I am GRATEFUL for the wonderful price I got for these commentaries, but the quality of photos is NOT up to Faithlife's normal standards, especially for a "Logos" resource.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 6401
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2019 10:10 AM

Hopefully an update will take care of those! 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 4 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS