Reminder: Brill Dictionary Ancient of Greek Shipping Sept 30

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 18 2019 10:09 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/168884/the-brill-dictionary-of-ancient-greek

I know, I know. You're exhausted with expensive Briill greek reference works. But prepubs save, so.

This one's not too pricey ($90). It's supposed to be LSJ's replacement (Larry Hurtado).

And Logos went 'all out' ... on the product page, scroll down; they have a series of clickable check-it-out references ... most useful, a pdf shortie.

I'd suspect the volume might appear in the collections similar to LSJ?

Posts 523
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 12:53 PM

I got these sample pages, looks good

https://brill.com/fileasset/downloads_products/34732_Preview.pdf 

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 6:22 PM

I have been very intrigued by this, but just a few questions before I drop almost $100:

i).  I have never bought anything from Logos on prepub.—so what does it mean when you say it “ships?”  Does this mean I pay now and it appears in library on the shipping date?  If not, how would I go about actually acquiring this source in my library?

ii).  I am assuming this spans both the classical and koine’ periods, replete w. examples (?).

iii).  I wonder if this would be viewed on the same authoritative level as BDAG? 

*Regardless, I greatly appreciate you pointing this out Denise—now if you could just help me devise a plan to sell to my wife prior to yet another purchase from Logos🤫!  She is already threatening me w. 1-800 numbers to call for Logos Anonymous 😳!

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 7:02 PM

Puddin’:
so what does it mean when you say it “ships?”  Does this mean I pay now and it appears in library on the shipping date?

No. It "ships" when it is finished and is "delivered" to you... which is when you are charged. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 10:05 PM

JT (alabama24):

Puddin’:
so what does it mean when you say it “ships?”  Does this mean I pay now and it appears in library on the shipping date?

No. It "ships" when it is finished and is "delivered" to you... which is when you are charged. 

Thanks—so if I pay now I’m still a little confused as to specifically when it would appear in my library?  On the ship date or sometime afterwards?  If afterwards, how long afterwards?

I realize this is probably aggravating to explain to a newbie—just trying to understand the whole “ship” deal relative to when/how I would actually have the product in my library😊.  I never buy prepub. stuff for this very reason. 

Posts 3252
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 11:05 PM

The old store had a "What's Pre-Pub?" link on the product page that led to the pre-pub FAQ. The link doesn't seem to be available on the new store's product pages. 

You would be charged on the ship date, which is also when it would appear in your library.

The ship date is the date that a product goes live and is purchasable/downloadable on the website by anyone else who hadn't pre-ordered it.

Pre-pub customers pay less when it ships for pre-ordering it in advance (which let FL know that there was enough interest to cover the production costs).

Puddin’:
I never buy prepub. stuff for this very reason.

An insufficient number of pre-pub orders means that people who did pre-order it would have to wait that much longer for it to be produced. Some waits can be 5-6 years.

The worst case of not pre-ordering something is that FL determines there is insufficient interest to cover their cost to produce the resource, the pre-orders get cancelled, and the resource doesn't become available in Logos.

It's generally safer to pre-order than not pre-order at all, since you can always cancel before your order ships. You can also return it within 30 days after it shipped.

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 12:09 AM

PetahChristian:

The old store had a "What's Pre-Pub?" link on the product page that led to the pre-pub FAQ. The link doesn't seem to be available on the new store's product pages. 

You would be charged on the ship date, which is also when it would appear in your library.

The ship date is the date that a product goes live and is purchasable/downloadable on the website by anyone else who hadn't pre-ordered it.

Pre-pub customers pay less when it ships for pre-ordering it in advance (which let FL know that there was enough interest to cover the production costs).

Puddin’:
I never buy prepub. stuff for this very reason.

An insufficient number of pre-pub orders means that people who did pre-order it would have to wait that much longer for it to be produced. Some waits can be 5-6 years.

The worst case of not pre-ordering something is that FL determines there is insufficient interest to cover their cost to produce the resource, the pre-orders get cancelled, and the resource doesn't become available in Logos.

It's generally safer to pre-order than not pre-order at all, since you can always cancel before your order ships. You can also return it within 30 days after it shipped.

Excellent.  Okay—you sold me on it.  Ordered & ready to go!

Much appreciated for all of the info.  Think I have a handle on prepub. now👍.

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 12:45 AM

I wonder if this Logos edition will include the 2 updates that have already occurred in 2019 according to Brill?

Link:  https://brill.com/view/db/bdgo?lang=en

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 5:52 AM

Puddin’:

I wonder if this Logos edition will include the 2 updates that have already occurred in 2019 according to Brill?

Don't know. But they get an electronic ship from Brill, then tag it, etc. So, timing-wise, not likely.

Posts 46
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 6:57 PM

Thanks Denise for highlighting this. I haven't made a proper effort in Greek, but the video interview of Professor Montanari by Brill is so educational (on the product page). I also like that it provides subtitles and retains the Italian audio, even though I don't know Italian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9oeEYghsno

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 20 2019 12:32 AM

Denise:

Puddin’:

Don't know. But they get an electronic ship from Brill, then tag it, etc. So, timing-wise, not likely.

👍

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 20 2019 7:28 AM

Puddin’:

I have been very intrigued by this, but just a few questions before I drop almost $100:

i).  I have never bought anything from Logos on prepub.—so what does it mean when you say it “ships?”  Does this mean I pay now and it appears in library on the shipping date?  If not, how would I go about actually acquiring this source in my library?

ii).  I am assuming this spans both the classical and koine’ periods, replete w. examples (?).

iii).  I wonder if this would be viewed on the same authoritative level as BDAG? 

*Regardless, I greatly appreciate you pointing this out Denise—now if you could just help me devise a plan to sell to my wife prior to yet another purchase from Logos🤫!  She is already threatening me w. 1-800 numbers to call for Logos Anonymous 😳!

Puddin', I missed this, sorry.

Regarding periods, both LSJ and DAG (its new abbreviation, ha) concentrate on early greek and slide into koine. But to get too far in koine, Sophacles (sp?) is safer. From a practical standpoint, for most Logosians, BDAG, then DAG to go backwards.

Regarding BDAG and its earlier versions, their connectivity is the NT. I call it a 'theological' dictionary, since its meaning assignments (verse) presume various 3rd and 4th century churchmen doctrines (aka modern Christianity).

Regarding your wife, and being quite serious, the languages are one of the best ways to keep your brain in good shape (along with her excellent meals). If you read the research, new language learning and new music playing keep those neurons pumping. But apparently good diet is the greater issue. 

Posts 264
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2019 12:02 AM

Denise:

Puddin’:

Puddin', I missed this, sorry.

Regarding periods, both LSJ and DAG (its new abbreviation, ha) concentrate on early greek and slide into koine. But to get too far in koine, Sophacles (sp?) is safer. From a practical standpoint, for most Logosians, BDAG, then DAG to go backwards.

Regarding BDAG and its earlier versions, their connectivity is the NT. I call it a 'theological' dictionary, since its meaning assignments (verse) presume various 3rd and 4th century churchmen doctrines (aka modern Christianity).

Regarding your wife, and being quite serious, the languages are one of the best ways to keep your brain in good shape (along with her excellent meals). If you read the research, new language learning and new music playing keep those neurons pumping. But apparently good diet is the greater issue. 

Okay—that makes sense with regard to BDAG first, then DAG.  Regardless, I have pulled the trigger now—can’t wait until it arrives!

Yeah, I know about the cognitive benefits of learning a new language.  One of the best deterrents of dementia if I understand correctly.  Think I’ll go that route🤓🤫!

Thanks for the response—think I’ve got it down now👍.

Posts 5090
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2019 12:17 AM

Denise:

Maybe FL eBooks could expand their menu beyond The Daniel Diet / Fast and the Juice lady so we can all ensure we’re getting some of that good brain food.

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?query=Daniel%20diet&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&filters=status-live_Status&ownership=all 

Posts 8973
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 8:47 AM

Thanks Faithlife! Tongue Tied I just receive an email reminding me once again that I only have a few days to make more order for GE. I sort of decided that it was too much $ but now I have second thoughts.

Anyone care to give the reasons why they ended up placing a order. There is still time to convince me. Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 9:13 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Anyone care to give the reasons why they ended up placing a order. There is still time to convince me. Smile

I'm a big believer, if you don't need something, then don't buy it. Concentrate on what you or your family needs.

I see two groups that would benefit. The 'greek' people (Noet-ish) that Bible-wise, tend to work in the 2nd Temple, post-Persian period. Especially surrounding Alexandria. And the underlying layer to koine later on.

Then, those that don't have LSJ, you might consider, or potentially get it later in a collection.

My interest is in 'uncertainty'. Too often the churchmen present their own certainty, when language is never so cut and dried. More recent work is always helpful. Just this last week, an excellent example.

Posts 8973
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 11:57 AM

Denise:
I'm a big believer, if you don't need something, then don't buy it.

Denise, I totally agree with you. Determining need is the trick.

I"m still tempted.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1429
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 12:35 PM

I remember reading that some highly scholarly books don't sell very well in Logos. 

This is one reason why I decided to get this, although I had planned to invest more to Hebrew and other languages from now on. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 521
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:26 PM

When I first glanced at the title of the thread I thought it was about a book called the "Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek Shipping." Part of me is disappointed that I was wrong Big Smile

Posts 8973
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2019 10:19 AM

Gordon Jones:

When I first glanced at the title of the thread I thought it was about a book called the "Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek Shipping." Part of me is disappointed that I was wrong Big Smile

That is hilarious. Just wondering what that resource might look like.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS