Robert W. Funk: A Beginning-Intermediate Grammar of Hellenistic Greek

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Louis L Sorenson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 3 2019 6:52 PM

Funk's NT Greek grammar is one of the best. Funk was in the era just past structural linguistics. He was a linguist, though much of his life he spent promoting"The Jesus Seminar." In 1961, Funk translated and edited the 9th/10th edition of Blass//Debrunner's Grammatik des neutestamentlichen Griechisch. 

Funk's Beginning-Intermediate grammar is different than the approach of most beginning grammars. I would say that the closest NT beginning grammar to Funk's NT grammar is James Swetnam's  An Introduccton to the Study of New Testament Greek (PONTIFICIO ISTITUTO BIBLICO — ROMA 1998).  Personally, I think those two grammars are the best comprehensive beginning grammars. Someone who wants to learn Greek via the "communicative method" needs to look at these grammars.

The B-Greek community, and especially Carl Conrad and Louis L Sorenson assisted the wife of Funk to re-introduce Funk's grammar..  After many edits,the B-Greek community digitizied  and published Funk's grammar into an html format. This was the initial draft of Funk's grammar. This raw version can still be found at  http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/funk-grammar/pre-alpha/. Carl Conrad (Ph.D) and Louis L. Sorenson went through the grammar from a new scan, and created a very accurate digital copy of the grammar -- having been proof-read over 20x. The result is that Polbridge Press has published this book in a print format. It can be found at CBD at https://www.christianbook.com/beginning-intermediate-grammar-of-hellenistic-greek/robert-funk/9781598151152/pd/151152

I think this would be a great addition to Logos' Koine Greek grammars. 

Louis L Sorenson

Posts 1
seth pryor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 12:19 PM

Hi Louis! This might seem weird but I’d love to contact you about all of your songs you did on your website that is now no longer working. I’d love to put them on youtube if thats okay with you. Let me know! 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS