Reading Plan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Sundeep Rego | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 17 2010 8:09 PM

Praise God.

I have a quick and simple question regarding Bible reading plan.

When i select the option "21 verses per day " in the reading plan, i see that Logos shows me 2 chapters per day for reading.

Can some one guide me ?

I only want to read 21- 25 verses a day and it shows me 2 chapters. The bible that i select for daily reading ESV.

Thanks for your help and time in advance.

God Bless You.

Regards

Sundeep

Posts 25226
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 4:34 AM

Hi Sundeep

I have been experimenting with this and it seems that Logos tries to align the number of verses to section headings (pericopes or chapters) and not just the number of verses you specify.

Is this consistent with what you are seeing?

Graham

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 6:30 AM

In my attempts to recreate your situation, I found something else to happen with my copy of the software.  For some reason, when editing the option for number of verses, Logos shuts down prematurely.  It sounds like this is unrelated to your situation, but thought I would post it in case others have a similar issue.  I have the most recent release candidate.

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 4
Sundeep Rego | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 7:21 PM

Praise God.

Thank You Graham Criddle and Aaron Kesson ,

My Basic understand was that when I enter 21 verses we shoudl only get 21.

In my case for ESV Bible I am seeing the following breakup

Genesis Chapter  1 - Day 1 - entire chapter

Genesis Chapter  2 : verses 1-3 - Day 2

Genesis Chapter  2 : verses  4 - 25 - Day 3

Genesis Chapter  3 - Day 4 - entire chapter

But when i click on the link for Day 2 ( i.e Chapter  2 : 1-3 ) it tells me to read from Chapter 2 verse 1 - Chapter 3 verse 24. I dont undertsand the Link .

Also the confusion continues when i click on day 3 it starts from chapter 4 but in Logos 4 it shows me Chapter  2 : verses  4 - 25.

I dont undertsnd the Logic of this kind of break up.

My Basic goal was to start reading somethng small ( 21 verses / day ) but this option leads to lot of confusion. what is disaplyed and the actual daily reading are different.

Is it a Bug in the application.

Praise God.

Regards

Sundeep

Posts 19322
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:41 PM

Aaron Kesson:

In my attempts to recreate your situation, I found something else to happen with my copy of the software.  For some reason, when editing the option for number of verses, Logos shuts down prematurely.  It sounds like this is unrelated to your situation, but thought I would post it in case others have a similar issue.  I have the most recent release candidate.

Hi Aaron, I'm confused as to what you mean by "most recent release candidate." We haven't had a release candidate since before 4.0c shipped. A release candidate is the stage during beta testing when Logos thinks the beta has reached a level of stability that is ready for releasing, so it is a very temporary stage. Once approved, the release candidate is declared to be the shipped/released version. We're now in the beta cycle for 4.0d. Do you mean you have the most recent beta version (4.0d Beta 4)? Or do you have the latest "service release" of 4.0c (4.0c SR-2) which came after 4.0c and included some bugfixes? It's best to cite a specific version number rather than saying "most recent" since that could be ambiguous. You can find the version number in the About Logos box.

As for the problem you're reporting, could you post your log files from a session where Logos shuts down prematurely when you edit the number of verses? That will be necessary in order to figure out why it is crashing. Here's info how how to enable logging if you haven't already (http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging) and how to upload your logs files to the forum (http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs). Thanks!

Posts 19322
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 9:35 PM

Sundeep:

My Basic understand was that when I enter 21 verses we shoudl only get 21.

In my case for ESV Bible I am seeing the following breakup

Genesis Chapter  1 - Day 1 - entire chapter

Genesis Chapter  2 : verses 1-3 - Day 2

Genesis Chapter  2 : verses  4 - 25 - Day 3

Genesis Chapter  3 - Day 4 - entire chapter

But when i click on the link for Day 2 ( i.e Chapter  2 : 1-3 ) it tells me to read from Chapter 2 verse 1 - Chapter 3 verse 24. I dont undertsand the Link .

Also the confusion continues when i click on day 3 it starts from chapter 4 but in Logos 4 it shows me Chapter  2 : verses  4 - 25.

I dont undertsnd the Logic of this kind of break up.

My Basic goal was to start reading somethng small ( 21 verses / day ) but this option leads to lot of confusion. what is disaplyed and the actual daily reading are different.

Is it a Bug in the application.

Hi Sundeep, I get the same result when I try it in TNIV. It appears to be a bug that the calendar does not match what is shown in the visual filter in the Bible text. As for the breakdown of verses shown in the calendar, I'm not sure what the intended design is, but it appears to be trying to ensure that you will get no more than 21 verses to read per day, and adjust to try to finish at chapter or pericope boundaries where possible. The algorithm has never been perfect. Perhaps they should revisit it and see if there's a way to make it work better in situations like this.

Actually I'm not sure you really would want to read precisely 21 verses per day. When you read a single verse out of context and/or start and stop in the middle of a pericope (a natural section meant to be read as one unit), you're reading an artificial chunk of Scripture and you won't get the best experience of reading it or catch all the meaning in it. Even chapter breaks are sometimes arbitrary. Those and the versifications were added after the fact, to make looking things up in the Bible easier and for keeping the readings in lectionaries and liturgies to a reasonable length. But for purely reading it, they sometimes get in the way.

UPDATE:

Incidentally, a report like this is more likely to get the attention of a Logos employee if you prefix the subject line with "BUG:"  If it's too late to edit this post (there should be an Edit command on the dropdown menu when you click the More button beside you're post if it's not too late), you might want to post a new bug report so it gets seen. I must admit I haven't played around enough with the reading plans yet to know how it's supposed to behave.

Also, you might want to change your forum display name to something other than your email address so that spam bots won't pick it up. Here's how to do that: http://wiki.logos.com/Changing_Forum_Display_Name

Posts 4
Sundeep Rego | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 10:16 AM

Praise God.

Thanks Rosie for your inputs.

Firstly i have changed my display name.

Secondly i don't think we can change the subject line to include the word "BUG" but I will go foward open a separate ticket ( or send a e-mail ) with Logos support.

Lastly my intention in Bible reading plan was to read one Topic a day or verses related to one particular topic or a single paragraph.

I wanted to not only read the bible daily but also do a detail study, so i wanted to go through one topic/paragraph at a time.

When i went through the options at Logos i did not see any option that would meet my criteria so i went with what was getting displayed by default ( 21 / 25 verses ).

I appreciate the time and effort you have put in responding to my queries, hopefully Logos will come up with a fix for this Bug in their next release.

Praise God.

Regards

Sundeep

Posts 4
Sundeep Rego | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:26 PM

Sundeep,

That information is great and very helpful, thank you. Our developer is on the forums and saw this no doubt so information on the forums and what you gave us is great!

Thanks,

Craig HarrisTech Support/Mac Support

Logos Bible Software † www.logos.com/support

Call Toll Free 1(800)875-6467

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS