Why the Repeated, Sequential Indexing?

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 43 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:05 PM

Kevin:

Rosie Perera:
I just brought a brand new laptop, asked for one with sizzling fast specs (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RF), and had them upgrade it to 32GB of super-fast RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM) and a 2TB SSD (WD Black SN750 2TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 Read:3400Mb/s,Write: 2900MB/s). Installed Logos fresh on it, let it download everything and complete indexing, and was disappointed already at the speed. Ugh. I'm really tired of this.

Rosie your machine should be crazy fast. I know when Logos first launches a bible it has to apply all the Visual Filters, and this can be very slow, and can take several minutes if many filters present, or many bibles versions being opened that have the filter applied, as it has to apply it to each version.

However once it completes this process, the cpu should return to normal. Do you have lots of visual filters?

Seems like this is an area that Faithlife should work on speeding up.

Yes, I do have lots of VFs. I've experimented a lot with them, so I probably have lots of leftover test ones that I don't need anymore, and I could delete those. That might help.

When I open the VF menu in my Preferred Bible, I see the following sections, with these numbers of checkboxes in each one:

RESOURCE - 5 (It looks like this is a fixed number and I can't reduce it.)

COMMUNITY NOTES - 11 (I'm guessing this is because of all the FL groups I'm a member of and the only way to reduce this number is to leave the groups?)

MEDIA - 3 (It looks like this is a fixed number.)

NOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS - 8 (I'm guessing this is all the notebooks I have which cover Bible texts; I could probably reduce these)

PASSAGE LISTS - 13 (I could get rid of most of these; most of them were experiments or for short term usage)

READING PLANS - 5 (I don't use reading plans anymore; I could probably get rid of all but one of these)

VISUAL FILTERS - 3 (These were all experiments)

But seriously, if this product is supposed to be able to accommodate power users, it doesn't seem too much to ask that it not slow down appreciably when you have a handful of notes an passage lists and reading plans and VFs and are a member of several FL groups.

Kevin:
1) If all of that bible version is closed, and reopend, it has to go through this process again.

What a pain. Can't it cache that information?

Posts 28286
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:25 PM

Rosie Perera:
But seriously, if this product is supposed to be able to accommodate power users, it doesn't seem too much to ask that it not slow down appreciably when you have a handful of notes an passage lists and reading plans and VFs and are a member of several FL groups.

I agree but the reality is that I converted all my VF to refer to a single resource that I rarely open and it sped up the startup time significantly. When I want to use one, I set it to the resource I'm using. It didn't help that a beta turned everything in the VF icon on and FL left the cleanup to be handled manually. A year later I'm still working on it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 334
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:55 PM

Rosie Perera:

Agreed It would be nice if they could cache it!

To see what a difference the VF make Rosie, you could just go to your Docs, then find the Visual Filters, then delete them. Then try Logos out to see what difference it makes to startup time.

As described above, it makes no difference if the VF is ticked or not in the menu, it will still be processed if it is applied to the bible in the actual Visual Filter, either directly, or through a collection, slowing Logos dramatically when the Bible is opened.

You can then go to https://documents.logos.com/?offset=0&sortType=Date&sortOrder=Descending&deleted=True&privacy=All&documentKind=visualfilters  to restore them afterwards, whereby maybe you can change the filters to be used only occasionally as either MJ has described above, or the way I do using a collection described above that.

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 5:02 AM

Kevin:

Rosie Perera:

Agreed It would be nice if they could cache it!

It is partially cached. When there's a visual filter, two things happen:

1. The search is run.
  2. The highlights are applied to the resource.

(1) is cached. (2) isn't. (2) is potentially quite complex because your visual filter could easily cause the resource to re-flow. Re-drawing that takes time.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS