Mind Map software to complement Logos on the Mac

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 19 2010 12:35 AM

Hi Folks

I hope you don't mind me introducing a complementary thread to the discussions.

I have been playing about with some of the demo versions of Mind Map software.

Nothing I have found seems to quite fit the bill.

Does anybody out there have any recommendations?

Any advice would be appreciated.

tootle pip

Mike

PS I have already received advice about 'things that are too good to be true' and 'not betting on horses'

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1881
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 1:00 AM

Mike Binks:

I have been playing about with some of the demo versions of Mind Map software.

Which ones have you tried? I know of a few, but not sure if you've tried them out, if you could list them, otherwise the ones suggested might end up being duplicates. I think this was a good idea to post about this. Mind Mapping can be very helpful. Also are you looking for a paid (Price Range? I know Concept Draw is about $200 or more) application or free? One that I know of is FreeMind. There are several others. 

In Christ

Philana

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 1:20 AM

Mike

I have used Mind Mapping software for sermons for 5 years or more.

For PC the choice is obvious. MindGenuis is perfect. I am told it runs well on the Mac under Parallels/Fusion. However, as my main reason for moving to the Mac was to get away from Windows, I have not gone down that road. www.mindgenius.com/

Since moving to the Mac in October last year, I use MindNode Pro which is reasonable for my purposes but no where as good as MindGenius. It is available for trial download, so you can "suck it and see". www.mindnode.com/

I have also tried iMindMap Pro but I would not recommend it. It is very good for "pure" mind mapping but falls short for sermon outlines, because it labels nodes along the branch. It is available on an 8-day trial, which hardly gives you much time, though there are good demo videos. www.ThinkBuzan.com/MindMap

Currently, I am looking at NovaMind Express. It looks as though it could tick all my boxes, but I only started with it yesterday. It's available on 30-day trial at www.novamind.com/

What I need in mindmapping sermons is to be able to paste from Bible or commentary/ebook into a text box at the end of the node. I can do that in MindNode. I can also do that in NovaMind.

Mindmapping is a great way of producing "preachable" sermon outlines. I wouldn't ever want to go back to a full script.

Every blessing

Alan

BTW Gordon Kennedy in Stranraer was the person who introduced me to MindGenius.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 34448
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 2:01 AM

It is also worth considering Inspiration 9 for Mac (or PC); at the moment, I have some linkage working but have not solved all the problems. I've just sent tech support a question which I hope will resolve my final issues.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 2:54 AM

Hi Phiana

Philana Crouch:
Which ones have you tried? I know of a few, but not sure if you've tried them out, if you could list them, otherwise the ones suggested might end up being duplicates.

I haven't listed the ones that I have tried because I have only really given them a cursory look over. I didn't want to inhibit somebody suggesting that one of the ones that I had found wanting could answer most of my prayers - if I just stuck with it.

Do you use mind mapping?

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 3:01 AM

Alan Macgregor:
use MindNode Pro which is reasonable for my purposes

Alan Macgregor:
Currently, I am looking at NovaMind Express.

Thanks Alan - I'll give both of these a try. Please let me know if you intend to stick with NovaMind - It might swing a decision if I have contact with a guru. :-)

Alan Macgregor:
BTW Gordon Kennedy in Stranraer was the person who introduced me to MindGenius.

It was Gordon who started me off on this quest. He is my principle while I am in this Locum appointment. I have asked him to mentor on effective preaching and he mentioned that he used mind maps to help organise his section headings.

I really appreciate the time he is spending with me - (don't tell him - but he is a bit of a blessing - it's not really a bloke thing )    :-)

And thank you for your help.

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 24
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:17 AM

Hi Mike,

I've been using freemind, its written in java and therefore will run on any platform. It is really powerful. Best of all it is free and open source and in constant development. You can find it here http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page (I hope links are allowed?)

Hope you find it useful.

Be blessed

James

Posts 19365
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:21 AM

James Bernard:

(I hope links are allowed?)

Links are allowed as long as they are not to competitors' websites. But Logos isn't in the mind mapping business, so this is fine.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:23 AM

Rosie

I thought that you were going to get more sleep now the MVP roster had been enlarged? Sleep

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

Posts 19365
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:50 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Rosie

I thought that you were going to get more sleep now the MVP roster had been enlarged? Sleep

I am. I've been spending less time on the Forum and sleeping 7-8 hours a night (just because I'm still up at 4:30 doesn't mean I have to wake up at 8am; in fact I can sleep in until 1:30 pm tomorrow...er, today.) But thanks for the reminder. Now off to bed...

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 5:48 AM

HI James 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you found a way of running it with out having to download Rosetta?

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:01 AM

Wonder about FreeMind version ?  Screen shot with Firefox, FreeMind, and Terminal:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:45 AM

KS4J

Thanks for the screenshot - I downloaded that dmg and it seems to be working.

Now to find out how to work it!   [:-)]

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 1881
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 12:05 PM

Mike Binks:

Hi Phiana

Philana Crouch:
Which ones have you tried? I know of a few, but not sure if you've tried them out, if you could list them, otherwise the ones suggested might end up being duplicates.

I haven't listed the ones that I have tried because I have only really given them a cursory look over. I didn't want to inhibit somebody suggesting that one of the ones that I had found wanting could answer most of my prayers - if I just stuck with it.

Do you use mind mapping?

tootle pip

Mike

Yes Mike I do MindMap, but not so much for detailed outlining of sermons. I use it to organize ideas. I would love to use it more for detailed sermons but I haven't found one that can paste entire paragraphs of stuff and not get so big you have to move all around to find stuff. If you find a way to do that please also post an update.

ConceptDraw is pretty useful, you can put links, so maybe a workaround with many of them might be to use the copy hyperlink option in L4 once it is implemented. I would love to find a way to mind map with sermons more if there was a way to make it manageable. 

God Bless,

Philana

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 1:40 PM

Mike Binks:

KS4J

Thanks for the screenshot - I downloaded that dmg and it seems to be working.

Now to find out how to work it!   [:-)]

tootle pip

Mike

Computer Likewise living and learning - file mode offers different way to look at hard drive:

Embarrassed found some files and folders to cleanup

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 1:42 PM

I use MindJet MindManager and XMind, mostly the former since I started using it on Windows years ago. Buzan has a version for the Mac now, too.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 12:25 AM

Mike

Here is a mind-map that I used a couple of weeks ago for my morning sermon for Trinity Sunday. I hope that it begins to make sense to you. It was produced in MindNode. The Passage I was preaching was John 16:12-15.

Health Warning: A Mind-Map, as a mnemonic record of a thought process, means far more to the person who produced it than to anyone who merely reads it.

Every blessing

Alan

0246.Learning to Live.pdf

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:08 AM

Thanks All,

For taking the time - I now have a few to follow up.

And thank you Alan and KS4J for the specific examples.

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:40 AM

Philana Crouch:
I would love to use it more for detailed sermons but I haven't found one that can paste entire paragraphs of stuff and not get so big you have to move all around to find stuff. If you find a way to do that please also post an update.

Have you tried pasting your longer material into a note that is attached to the node?  Your notes open up in a "side" window and  you can cycle through them, but they won't mess up your map view.

Michael Binks:

Novamind--I have never used it--looks great, especially if you are a Mac person.  More doo-dads in that version compared to their PC version.  I have used MindManager 8 and iMindMap ultimate.  For  Bible study, etc, I prefer MindManager.

There is an online software called Mind Meister that is making good strides. 

http://www.mindmeister.com/

tootle pip

Wink

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:27 AM

I use two different mind mapping programs.  I have used Mindjet Mindmanager for a number of years.  It's a great program, although it doesn't always format well when you move it to Word or Pages.  Inspiriation is great program that I have used for years.  It has one of the fastest and easiest outlines around.  It also transfers to Word or Pages well.  It is also much cheaper than Mindmanager.  I do like the way Mindmanager looks in creating maps.  It has an "organic" setting that is very nice.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS