Duke Papyrological Databank Question

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 28 2019 2:21 AM

Is this source worth all of the storage space it will take up?  

https://www.logos.com/product/9945/duke-databank-of-documentary-papyri

I already have the Perseus collection—which consumes a TON of storage & I rarely use it.  However, I am intending to begin a highly exegetical work next year and might actually need both of these resources when searching for syntactical parallels, etc.?

What say ye’?

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 7:21 AM

Depends on your exegeticalizing. I'm convinced when you see exegeting in Logosland, the goal is to re-confirm what you already think you know. Like exegeting your pastor's sermon.

When I got tired of too much in my library, I dumped the english (Perseus), and kept the OL (Duke). Later, when I took the PC offline, I got the english back.

It really depends on your rabbit trails. Dura-Europa. Egyptian Fayum, some from Erasmus, various practices in Greek/Roman times. Nahal/Hever. All depends.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28206
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 3:18 PM

Denise:
I'm convinced when you see exegeting in Logosland, the goal is to re-confirm what you already think you know.

Aren't you glad that it is only occasionally that I complain that Logos selects a single answer to most ambiguities and thus ruins the FUN of exegeting? One of my favorite books is God Was in This Place & I, I Did Not Know―25th Anniversary Ed: Finding Self, Spirituality and Ultimate Meaning by Rabbi Lawrence Kushner which deals with the duplication of a single word.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 4:19 PM

We had a pastor, where on iffy passages, would give the choices. Then his. Since everyone knew his was best, everyone was happy.

I agree, Logos presents a single color from a prism made by thousands of hands through thousands of years. I'm likely wrong, but if you likely grew up in the 'mainframe' mentality (big iron), FL seems a modern equivalent ... like it's stuck in the SQL-frame world.

Today I got stuck with puppies. It all started in the targums, where unclean meat was to be thrown to the dogs (Exodus). The targumists saw the obvious: gentiles! But when the greek evangelists arrived (Mark and Matthew), the Syrophenician greek lady was referred by Jesus to diminutive 'dogs'. Oh, what to do? The translators struggled ... hounds, whelps, puppies, little dogs, dogs only, and 'their' dogs. Pretty dogged exegeting!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 13383
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 5:40 PM

Puddin’:
I already have the Perseus collection—which consumes a TON of storage & I rarely use it.  However, I am intending to begin a highly exegetical work next year and might actually need both of these resources when searching for syntactical parallels, etc.?

The Duke Databank only consumes around 130Mb of storage, plus a bit more for the index. Perhaps 200Mb in total?

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 10:03 PM

Mark Barnes:

Puddin’:

The Duke Databank only consumes around 130Mb of storage, plus a bit more for the index. Perhaps 200Mb in total?

Ok, got it.  Good to know.  Thanks much.

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 10:20 PM

Denise:
Depends on your exegeticalizing. I'm convinced when you see exegeting in Logosland, the goal is to re-confirm what you already think you know. Like exegeting your pastor's sermon.

When I got tired of too much in my library, I dumped the english (Perseus), and kept the OL (Duke). Later, when I took the PC offline, I got the english back.

It really depends on your rabbit trails. Dura-Europa. Egyptian Fayum, some from Erasmus, various practices in Greek/Roman times. Nahal/Hever. All depends.

Well yes Ma’am—there is that🤓.  I hope this doesn’t appear as self-promoting, but your comment above reminded me of a true story.  

A good many years ago now I was doing a 4-night debate in a Bible college town w. a CofC feller’.  I was in a room by myself prior to the debate going over my opponents questions when I heard 2 older CofC elders walking down the hall talking amongst themselves.  I overheard one say to the other, “Well, we all have our doctrinal biases that we fight hard to protect when faced w. opposing data, and I don’t guess there’s anything we can really do about that.”

My knee-jerk reaction was to roll my eyes and think, “Not me!  I try very hard to slow the evidence to inform my doctrinal conclusions (which is very true to this day)!”  But, something deep down really bothered me about that thought.  

I stopped studying, leaned back in my chair and stared at the wall in silence for a long time.  I remember looking at the clock on the wall and realizing it was show time & had to go.  But, as I arose I remember thinking, “If I would be honest w. myself...they’re probably right...including about you!”

I have never forgot that encounter, and though I hate to acknowledge it, I do think they were right.

Hey, BTW, does anyone know how to dump Perseus from an iPad?  I realize this is probably a question for another forum category—but while I’m already here & stuff...😉.

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 10:26 PM

Denise:
We had a pastor, where on iffy passages, would give the choices. Then his. Since everyone knew his was best, everyone was happy.

I agree, Logos presents a single color from a prism made by thousands of hands through thousands of years. I'm likely wrong, but if you likely grew up in the 'mainframe' mentality (big iron), FL seems a modern equivalent ... like it's stuck in the SQL-frame world.

Today I got stuck with puppies. It all started in the targums, where unclean meat was to be thrown to the dogs (Exodus). The targumists saw the obvious: gentiles! But when the greek evangelists arrived (Mark and Matthew), the Syrophenician greek lady was referred by Jesus to diminutive 'dogs'. Oh, what to do? The translators struggled ... hounds, whelps, puppies, little dogs, dogs only, and 'their' dogs. Pretty dogged exegeting!

I like your pastor‘s tact—I have tried to practice the identical methodology and found that the people respect your honesty—and are willing to follow you further than if you pontificated as if you had all of the answers.  

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2019 10:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

Denise:
I'm convinced when you see exegeting in Logosland, the goal is to re-confirm what you already think you know.

Aren't you glad that it is only occasionally that I complain that Logos selects a single answer to most ambiguities and thus ruins the FUN of exegeting? One of my favorite books is God Was in This Place & I, I Did Not Know―25th Anniversary Ed: Finding Self, Spirituality and Ultimate Meaning by Rabbi Lawrence Kushner which deals with the duplication of a single word.

Looks interesting and the reviews are pretty good.  I have recently been reading a fair amount of Rabbinical writings and—man can they ever stretch some things.  

For ex., I recently read a Judaic writer teach that the “skins” in Eden on Adam/Eve was the snake‘s shed “skin,” which was also taken onto Noah’s ark and is the same “skins” worn by Jacob when he tricked Isaac😳 by wearing Esau’s coat—and no, I am not making this up!

Your post reminded me that I really need to read Cahill’s work on the Jews.  His book on “How the Irish Saved Civilization” is ground breaking IMO.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS