Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 1
Hunter Goff | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 19 2010 8:06 PM

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be good to let you know that in your Video on the Greek alphabet you have a mistake.  You left out the vowel upsilon and you used the upsilon's letters for psi's. Thought you should know.  I like the videos so far.

This brings up a question. What will be your policy on updates for this video series?

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 10:09 PM

Hunter Goff:
You left out the vowel upsilon and you used the upsilon's letters for psi's.

To go on and answer the question that is written after this sentence, I am sure there is not much they could do to update the video.  It is recorded onto the discs.  It does not seem that they could post a video for "download."

I am still looking forward to mine coming.  Luckily, I am already familiar with the alphabet because of my math and science background.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:35 AM

Oh man....that's unfortunate....

V1.1 coming soon....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 8:57 PM

I really hope they fix this issue and several others. There are some glaring mistakes which a good editor should have caught. They really owe it to the customer to fix these mistakes.

There are places where: the audio stumbles, the video is 5-10 seconds out of sync with the audio (an unacceptable mistake), someone says "cut" at the end of scene, the instructor discusses something that he says should be one the screen but is not, the audio cuts out or pauses where obvious editing was not done correctly, and complete words or phrases are repeated because someone improperly edited the video. And worst of all, I found all of these mistakes before I reached the lessons on Greek verbs.

I question whether anyone actually watched these videos prior to production. In my opinion, some of the problems are horrendous. I have had Greek (six plus years) and believe that the content is well taught, but if the editor doesn't splice in the right section than all the teaching is wasted. How can someone trust these videos if even the alphabet is botched.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 9:33 PM

Jonathan:
In my opinion, some of the problems are horrendous.

Boy this is a real shame.  To bad the old adage always rears its head, To err is human.  I wonder if  Logos did get into a bit of a hurry to ship these videos because we pestered them so much?  I wonder how much they could do even now to correct these problems?  At what point is it just not cost effective to correct some mistakes.  Again, I can just remember my ex-wife working for a company that produced safety videos.  (I was widowed.)  There was stuff like that when she would have to go back into the film suite to edit again.  I just wish I really remembered if it was really possible to correct the video or not...I just dont recall if it was a really big deal to fix a minor thing or if it ended up being a major thing to correct a minor thing.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 10:08 PM

Hopefully people don't get the wrong idea from my post... The content is great, but the editing needs work.

I've been watching the Hebrew video and so far it seems much better.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 19252
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 10:39 PM

William Bingham:

Again, I can just remember my ex-wife working for a company that produced safety videos.  (I was widowed.) 

Don't you mean your "late wife"? One's "ex-wife" usually means something else (I know you've explained "I was widowed" but that wouldn't be necessary if you called her your "late wife" which is pretty universally understood as a wife one has lost to death; most people wouldn't think you were referring to her habitual tardiness Smile). And, BTW, so sorry for your loss, even though it may have been long ago...

Also, I couldn't agree more that it's a shame the editing wasn't as good as the teaching on these videos. I'm still waiting for mine...  I'm sure it's possible to correct these problems, but if they've already pressed a lot of DVDs, they'd probably want to wait until they sell them all before making another release of it. Sad And unlike with downloadable products, I doubt we'd all get a free upgrade when/if the errors get fixed. They should have had a beta test of these with a few of us nitpicky editor types looking over them...  (Just so we could have gotten ours first! Smile)

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 11:38 PM

Rosie Perera:
Don't you mean your "late wife"?

Thanks Rosie....I think I knew that term...late....I will try to remember that.   This is the second time in short order....

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 11:59 PM

Jonathan:
Hopefully people don't get the wrong idea from my post... The content is great

Jonathan,

Thank you for the post.  I am really looking forward to mine.  I hope it will be Monday or Tuesday. 

I am pushing myself to go back to graduate school in the Fall and trying to get a heads up on a couple of the classes.  The textbook seems to be pretty good so far.  I have been able to work from it without a great deal of blood, sweat, and tears.  I know one thing.  I am having a much better time studying this chemistry instead of mathematics.  This is sort of strange for me because my first love is math.

Anyway, I am really hoping these language DVD's allow me to get into the original word to some "depth."  I am hopeful that I will be able to balance this with my studies in chemistry.                         

Posts 3780
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:31 AM

William Bingham:
Anyway, I am really hoping these language DVD's allow me to get into the original word to some "depth."  I am hopeful that I will be able to balance this with my studies in chemistry.    

I will keep you in prayer over the next few months/years.  I chose the other route.  Though I liked Math, my undergraduate major was chemistry.  My graduate work has been in seminary (MDiv), computer science (MCSEd), and counseling (MEd).  I would no longer be able to keep up the pace of graduate school - though I am hoping the DVDs will help me refresh some of the Greek and Hebrew I learned in seminary.

Enjoy your education.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 8:41 AM

Jonathan:
The content is great, but the editing needs work.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but doesn't Logos have a return policy if the customer isn't satisfied with the software?

Edit:

I just spoke with Logos and if someone is not satisfied, the product can be returned and they will even send you a pre-paid envelope. 

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 11:52 AM

Joan Korte:

Jonathan:
The content is great, but the editing needs work.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but doesn't Logos have a return policy if the customer isn't satisfied with the software?

Edit:

I just spoke with Logos and if someone is not satisfied, the product can be returned and they will even send you a pre-paid envelope. 

I am aware of their return policy, but, frankly, I'd like to keep the dvds as the teaching content is quite good.

I've emailed Logos and I am hoping to hear back from Logos regarding if they plan to fix these issues. I really don't want to send them back if they are going to fix these issues. It could also be that I'm being overly critical. However, I would be surprised if others were not somewhat annoyed with the constant pauses and changes in volume. I would love to see this product improved, rather that seeing it sent back.

Posts 3780
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:23 PM

Mine arrived today - I am hoping that they will re-do/re-edit the video containing

1. factual errors
  2. production errors

in that order.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:31 PM

Two thoughts:

1.  Those that find errors should report them all here.  This will not only help Logos if it is interested in fixing them, but it will also help those of us that are total original language tyros (who might otherwise not spot the errors).

2.  Inasmuch as there may not be any way to download corrected updates, I am hoping that Logos will, after correcting as many errors as possible, make V.1.1 DVD's available for no more than the cost of postage.

Actually, a third thought:  I do expect that Logos will want to get these DVD's as polished as possible.  I think improving these DVD's, which emphasize helping many of us do more with the original languages, which is after all a Logos strong point, will likely get a lot of attention at Logos - I think the DVD's are likely a high-profile Logos product.

Fred

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 2:48 PM

I agree, let's post the errors here to help Logos...

As someone mentioned the delta is missing in the alphabet portion of the Greek video.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:42 PM

Steven C. Hill:

Has anyone noticed that the lesson on the Greek alphabet is one letter short of a full load:  the letter delta is missing!

quoted from http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18205.aspx?PageIndex=2

Posts 13
LogosEmployee
Johnny Cisneros | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:06 PM

Hi Hunter,

I just spoke with the editor and today we're going to resolve those issues in the Alphabet Video.  I'll let you know when it is available for download. 

Thanks!

Johnny

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 8:52 PM

I have noticed lots of major editing errors.  I pre-ordered this for $160 or so.  Now its going for $500.  

No offense, but for either of these prices... you would think they would have aimed higher for production and professionalism.  

Also - I was a little surprised they didn't even put it in a nice box or anything.  Just 2 discs in a little white envelope, no logo, etc.  Its a small thing, but a little tacky for the price that is paid for the product.

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 9:46 PM

Fred:
Those that find errors should report them all here.  This will not only help Logos if it is interested in fixing them, but it will also help those of us that are total original language tyros (who might otherwise not spot the errors).

Yes, please do! Preferably:

• after checking the Technical FAQs and relevant sections of the wiki (down toward the bottom of the page) 
  • in a new thread with an informative subject line:
    • good: "Greek 02: the alphabet is missing the letter delta"
    • not so good: "Something's wrong here!", "Can somebody look at this?", etc. 
  • pointing out which chapter contains the error: we're working on supplemental material that will be organized by chapter, so that will help us know where to put more information

These videos are an important new product for us, so we do want to make them as good as we can.

Posts 1542
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 4:32 AM

Sean,

I have not received my DVD's yet, hopefully today.  But reading about all these very basic errors and poor quality editing is just very disturbing and disheartening.  

Can you please let us know what level of editorial review this product has gone through before being shipped?  Can you post the credentials of the team involved in producing, reviewing, and editing the content?

Thanks,

Peter

Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS