How do I search for all OT Surveys / Outlines in my library

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 41
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 8 2019 10:08 AM

Hello!

This spring I'll be teaching a 6 week class at church, "Survey of the OT."  How would I find books in my library that have a general overview and broad outlines?  Of course I can use the commentaries or study bibles, but those go deep and I need to cover broad swaths, like all of the Pentateuch in one class (overview, right?!!).

Maybe the IVP "black series" would be a good place to start? 

Any ideas on how to search my library for these type of books?

Thanks!

(Logos 8, several gold libraries) 

Posts 25050
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 8 2019 2:51 PM

Start with title:survey which should include books on the old testament e.g. Old Testament Survey Series, which includes one book on the Pentateuch, and 4 others i.e. Major Prophets, Minor Prophets, Wisdom Literature & Psalms, Books of History.

You can sort Library by Type to isolate commentaries/monographs, etc.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5114
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 9 2019 2:52 PM

In addition you might also want to expand the search to handbooks if you need further resources to consider.

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 9 2019 9:12 PM

Chris Garrett:
This spring I'll be teaching a 6 week class at church, "Survey of the OT." How would I find books in my library that have a general overview and broad outlines?

Library filter suggestion is:

subj:("Bible--Introductions","Bible. O.T.--Introductions") -subj:Theology

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2022
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 9 2019 11:40 PM

Sorry this is not about your library resources, but https://thebibleproject.com has some really well done overview videos. Might be worth your while...

Posts 670
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 10 2019 11:23 AM

Hi Chris:

An indirect idea not only to find resources, but also actual content is to use Media search. 

Maybe helpful diagrams, interesting relations in content, and the like can be found.

Posts 41
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 11 2019 8:23 AM

Excellent, thank you. My wife has used those in her class at school but I had forgotten about them. Good reminder, thanks. 

Posts 41
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 11 2019 8:23 AM

Thank you! Your search actually yielded the most concrete results - 18. Thanks for taking time to put this together for me.

blessings,

Chris

Posts 41
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 11 2019 8:24 AM

Thanks for this. Your custom search yielded the most useful results - 18. Thanks for this!

Chris 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS