Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 14 2019 12:42 PM

Since updating to 8.9, I've had a problem copying text to Word. I have times new roman set as my default font in Word. When I copy Bible text to Word using the copy Bible verses app, it copies the text to Word in times new roman as it should and as it did before 8.9; however, if I copy text from a lexicon or commentary or anything including Biblical ,text it copies into Word in calibri. This did not happen before 8.9. I talked to a tech at Logos and he gave me a very unsatisfactory explanation. He said Logos could not do anything about this. It is the way the clipboard handles things. Really? That doesn't make any sense. Anyone have an idea?

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 30124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:10 PM

Whether to keep the original formatting or merge the formatting is an option within Word. The question is whether the interface that Logos is using to communicate with Word allows Logos to set that option or whether it must be done in Word.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 188
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:30 PM

I raised this same question Tuesday: http://bit.ly/2KhRkDd

Logos has not yet responded to me either.

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:33 PM

MJ, my situation is like Daniel's. If I changed nothing why did the process change?

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:34 PM

Thanks Daniel. I'm glad I'm not the Lone Ranger. The only difference is on a Mac.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 10787
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 5:41 AM

I agree that this is unwanted behavior, but I had not paid attention to this until after reading your post. I have used Word's Customize Keyboard… feature to assign keystrokes to my most used paragraph styles—Control/Option/7 for the ¶ style. I also set up keystrokes for the most used fonts. For instance, I use Control/Shift/T for Times New Roman.

Not ideal, but it only takes a couple of seconds after setup.

Posts 124
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 7:25 AM

Randall,

I, too, have the same problem. The only work around I have found is to right-click in Word, and select "merge formatting." This will put it in your preferred style. 

Posts 188
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 7:29 AM

Thanks for responding to this issue, which I share. But:

1. I don't think that works for drag and drop, which I use most often. And

2. It wasn't broke before. The update broke it. Logos should fix it, and not add multiple steps to what has been seamless for years and years and years.

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 7:44 AM

MJ, Daniel, Jack, and pastor Dan thanks for your responses. I am able to work around the problem, but it is annoying and time consuming. What I find most disturbing is the response I got from a Logos tech that I spoke to on the phone. He told me the problem was not with Logos but with the clipboard. That is obviously incorrect for two reasons: 1) before 8.9 everything worked fined and 2) every other app is able to copy and paste a text selection preserving the original font of the text. I hope someone at Logos looks into and solves this problem.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 410
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 10:26 AM

Randall Cue:

MJ, Daniel, Jack, and pastor Dan thanks for your responses. I am able to work around the problem, but it is annoying and time consuming. What I find most disturbing is the response I got from a Logos tech that I spoke to on the phone. He told me the problem was not with Logos but with the clipboard. That is obviously incorrect for two reasons: 1) before 8.9 everything worked fined and 2) every other app is able to copy and paste a text selection preserving the original font of the text. I hope someone at Logos looks into and solves this problem.

Randall, the tech's response was correct, but incomplete. I've responded on the main thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/186266/1075532.aspx#1075532

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 12:06 PM

I went to the "main thread" and read through it. I still find it very confusing. Greek and Hebrew text retain their font face when coping from Logos and pasting into Word. And as I mentioned earlier every other app I've tried retains its font face when pasting into Word. I know now that I have to work around this problem in Logos. Perhaps in the future Logos can find away to have the font face preserved.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 16 2019 11:55 AM

I don't mean to "beat a dead horse", but I have one more question. How do you change the font face in the CBV tool? Right now it is set to Times New Roman for all of the styles.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 26000
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 3:49 AM

Randall Cue:
How do you change the font face in the CBV tool?

In theory you should change it with this syntax. But I've not found it to work.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 8:35 AM

Another interesting quirk. While the text of what is copied is in calibri, the text of the footnote associated with it is in times new roman.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 3159
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 12:16 PM

Randall Cue:

Another interesting quirk. While the text of what is copied is in calibri, the text of the footnote associated with it is in times new roman.

Randall,

I'm not able to reproduce this. Could you give me an example? How are you copying? For me, it pastes as Calibri.

Posts 188
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 12:35 PM

DId for me. Randomly dragged and dropped from Pennington's Sermon on the Mount.

Posts 3159
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 2:11 PM

Daniel,

What is font is set for your Normal Style in Word?

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 188
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 2:16 PM

Hi Philana, thanks for responding.

In MS Word 2010, Normal is 12 pt regular Times New Roman.

In BibleWorks, it is 10 pt. Times New Roman.

Before this update, Logos switched to each app's target font.

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 2:37 PM

Hi Philana,

Here is my procedure:

Highlight text from a Logos volume such as Pillar New Testament Commentary

I'm using a Mac so I copy the text with command c

Paste into Word with command v

My default font in Word is Times New Roman. The text of what I copied gets pasted into Word as Calibri but the footnote citation is in Times New Roman. I have the text display font in Logos set as Times New Roman.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 601
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2019 9:12 AM

Philana, are you looking into this? If so, what have you found?

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS