MacBook Pro 16”

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 14
David Franks | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 17 2019 1:46 PM

New laptop on the way! 

Tried searching and couldn’t really find much information. How well does Logos use the 8-core i9 processors and dedicated graphics card? My currently Macbook runs Logos great but it will go to to my wife as she needs a new one and I’m just itching to know how much better (if any) my new MacBook will run. 

Thanks everyone! 

Posts 2216
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 2:51 PM

Please let us know when you get it set up. 

Posts 25108
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 4:25 PM

David Franks:
How well does Logos use the 8-core i9 processor

In normal use, there is little or no difference between multi-core processors. But Logos will Index up to 6 resources at a time, using 6 threads. This is no different to using 6 threads on my 4-core i5 with hyperthreading. Faithlife told me that they found this to be optimal, but the Indexer will use fewer threads if you have less than 5GB installed RAM.

Faithlife also stated that there is "one final phase of indexing ("Building term/document info index") which is very highly parallelisable, so it will use all cores on your CPU. (We've tested with a 20 hyper-threaded core Intel Xeon W-2155.) This usually only lasts for less than a minute, but it is possible to see the indexer using 100% CPU."

David Franks:
and dedicated graphics card?

Use of this is optional. But Mac users have stated it reduces battery life considerably. YMMV.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2307
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 4:46 PM

I was hoping that Apple would have gotten this puppy out sooner. I opted for a Dell XPS 15 with an i9 and 32 GB RAM and a graphics card weeks ago. Pretty much the same deal on a Win box. The same thing on the MacBook Pro would run an extra $1000. The Dell rocks with Logos and the money I saved more than paid for my iPad Air.  

I think I got a better deal. The Mac is probably cooler, but I'm much better equipped. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 14
David Franks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 5:09 PM

Thanks this is helpful. I know the new laptop is gonna be great (as my current one is really fast), just been curious as to how much of an increase in performance I should expect. I think it will be overkill for Logos but its my only computer and I will use it for other things. 

Posts 14
David Franks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2019 10:04 AM

Just an update. Logos is up and running on the new laptop. While I never had any major issues on my previous laptop (it was only a year old), this new 16" is a beast. Everything runs buttery smooth and I'm not waiting for anything to load. Really nice to have multiple resources open and linked together from laptop to my 27" 4k display. 

Posts 2216
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2019 12:09 PM

Good to hear David. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS