Epigraphic Hebrew in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10625
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 19 2019 11:22 AM

Yes, we have the excellent inscription resources. And since Logos really, really hates to brag, I'll help out ... these two are both interlinear! Also come with translations and glossaries.

https://www.logos.com/product/180861/hebrew-and-canaanite-inscriptions 

https://www.logos.com/product/180651/aramaic-inscriptions 

But if you want an easy to use resource (in Logos) on a specific epigraphic word, you're either consigned to HALOT, or watch the linguistic hebrew encyclopedia (bits and pieces) age in prepub.

Now, I know 'Another Company' saddens people, but it's just unavoidable. Below is an example page from the Dictionary of Epigraphic Hebrew. Feast your eyes:

And while we're saddening you, Heiser's recommended reading list is really quite interesting (might be old, don't know):

https://drmsh.com/recommended-reading

From that, came the very interesting book on locational dialects in Iron Age II Palestine. Rabbits are always on the trail.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1413
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 1:12 PM

I know I've suggested Gogel's Grammar of Epigraphic Hebrew before, and similar things. They all seem to be implicitly dismissed as not directly Biblical enough, and therefore not marketable.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 10625
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 3:12 PM

Limited interest, yep. Another Company and Used-to-Be Company seem to do well with these type resources.  The Gogel grammar was above my paygrade, but I saw an interesting Samaritan analysis.

It's unfortunate because the inscriptions and their relation to surrounding cultures provide the best apologetic OT support. The writings are anyones (scholarly) guess. Even Jesus' didn't appear to be quite on-board. with straight readings.

Posts 630
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 6:36 PM

It is my understanding that the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew should be of help for inscriptions.

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 7:07 PM

Ben:
They all seem to be implicitly dismissed as not directly Biblical enough, and therefore not marketable.

I'm building up a case to press for an expansion of the literature available for focused study: think of rings from smallest to largest:

• Bible: Torah/Gospel
  • Bible: History
  • Bible: Writings
  • Semi-Bible: books included in canons other than one's own
  • Sort-a-Bible: books included in any canon - geographically or historically
  • Is-it-Bible-canonish: books that are used as if they were canonical or at least authorative - think Mishna, Talmud which some Jewish scholars actually call canonical
  • Floating-in-the-Biblical-haze: books (written or oral) of the surrounding and culture which may provide background in understanding the Bible - culturally or linguistically
  • Stuff-growing-rooted-in-many-layers: rituals, doctrinal statements, apologetics, histories, theologies . . .that are the outgrowth of the previous layers that are respected/influential

I would argue that all but the last layer are essential to determining the plain meaning of the Biblical text to the intended audience and to the extent fiscally possible should all work within the Logos tools e.g. morph rivers, text comparison, community tags, lemma/root identification, word study . . . So yes, Epigraphic Hebrew is a fundamental building block of Bible study

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10625
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 6:23 AM

MJ, well thought out. You have (far) more history than I, but my impression around 2005, was they were moving in the direction you outline (thus some very esoteric volumes). Then, they needed volume?  A-Company seems a little of both.

Steve, you are correct. DCH does list epigraphic sources, an approximate date, and links to the 2 resources above. But no discussion.  Dictionary of Epigraphic Hebrew seems to sort of look around at this and that, for clues. A lot like etymology but baked in stone.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS