Creating a series with LXX and NA28

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1062
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 22 2019 4:12 PM

I have created a series with LXX and NA28, so I can search on Greek words in both OT and NT.

When I do searches on this series, the New Testament results show up before the Old Testament results. Is there a way to create the series so that the OT passages show up before the NT? Is there any way to control the order of resources within a series like a Libronix Serial Resource Set?

Is there a way to browse a series, so I can browse through the LXX and Greek New Testament as a single Bible?

Also, what would be the difference between a Series and a Collection consisting of only these 2 resources?

Posts 22358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2019 1:25 AM

Harry Hahne:
When I do searches on this series, the New Testament results show up before the Old Testament results. Is there a way to create the series so that the OT passages show up before the NT? Is there any way to control the order of resources within a series like a Libronix Serial Resource Set?

If you prioritise the LXX resources above the NA28 in your Library you should get the OT passages first 

Harry Hahne:
Is there a way to browse a series, so I can browse through the LXX and Greek New Testament as a single Bible?

I thought that this should work but it doesn't seem to. Will need to look into this further.

Posts 78
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2019 3:26 AM

As far as browsing goes, if you have a complete Bible open and in a link set with your LXX and NA28 Bible, you can browse the complete Bible and your series will follow.  The downside of this is that it adds an additional step. Also if the Bible you are using to browse doesn't have some of the LXX books you'll have to ensure your series is in the LXX and then you just navigate straight there. 

Posts 22358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2019 6:34 AM

Graham Criddle:

Harry Hahne:

I thought that this should work but it doesn't seem to. Will need to look into this further.

I've just checked again and it works - don't know what I was doing wrong earlier.

As Phil says if you have the series in a linkset with a Bible then changing the reference in the Bible will move to the correct original language text in the series. But, also, simply typing a reference in another testament in the referance range in a resource in the series will move to that place.

So, for example, with NA27 and LXX in a series, and with NA27 open to Romans1, typing in Job 1 will open the LXX resource to that point.

Posts 1062
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 10:18 AM

Graham Criddle:
If you prioritise the LXX resources above the NA28 in your Library you should get the OT passages first 

I had a Catch 22 situation, but I think I have the LXX and NA28 series working the way I want now.

I had created a series I called "Greek Bible" and put the NA28 and an LXX in it. However, when I tried to prioritize one of them, it would add the whole series. So I removed the resources from the series, prioritized them individually, then put them back in the series. It was a bit of a hassle, but I can now search the series and get the LXX results for the NA28 results.

Posts 22358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 10:58 AM

Harry Hahne:
However, when I tried to prioritize one of them, it would add the whole series

This is the default behaviour when prioritising resources in series.

If you "Ctrl-drag" instead of just dragging the resource to the Prioritize pane it just affects the individual resource.

Posts 10628
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 11:04 AM

Harry, thank you for the question (and the solution of course). Prioritize. I was thinking re-title.

Just joking. Have you considered the latest Sinaiticus, which offers transparent searches, verse-free numbering, and carefully crafted greek almost-lettering. Complete with Barnabas too! Not sure about the Shepherd.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1062
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 2:55 PM

Graham Criddle:
If you "Ctrl-drag" instead of just dragging the resource to the Prioritize pane it just affects the individual resource.

Good tip. Thanks.

Posts 1062
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 3:20 PM

Denise:
Have you considered the latest Sinaiticus, which offers transparent searches, verse-free numbering, and carefully crafted greek almost-lettering.

Very nice. I knew about the Sinaiticus website (http://www.codexsinaiticus.org), but I did not realize that this manuscript was in my Logos library.

It is helpful for us moderns that the transcription broke it up into words and used miniscules rather than uncials. It also facilitates the use of the text comparison tool in Logos. It is too bad that they did not tag the words with morphology and lemmas. Still it is great to have it.

I am not sure what you mean by verse-free numbering. At least the Logos edition has verses.

Can you clarify what you mean by "transparent searches?"

Do you know what is the lowest base package that includes Sinaiticus?

Posts 10628
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2019 4:13 PM

Harry Hahne:

I am not sure what you mean by verse-free numbering. At least the Logos edition has verses.

Can you clarify what you mean by "transparent searches?"

Do you know what is the lowest base package that includes Sinaiticus?

You caught me ... I was being a bad girl, referring to the old manuscripts! Over the years, I kept forgetting the LXX was in Sinaiticus ... I keep thinking GNT. You reminded me, again.

Regarding the Logos resource, I thought it's free? In any event, it's in the Standard Academic and up, I think.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS