Read Aloud Greek Audio in A22

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 70
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 4:06 AM

Has anyone got the Greek Audio working for A22. I tell the Greek text to read aloud but it doesn't produce any sound except for the verse numbers. The pronunciation works great but that has worked for a while now. Is it supposed to work? I thought it did based on the Release notes but I could have been mistaken.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:58 AM

Text-to-speech engines don't work so well with original languages. In order to be able to listen to the Bible in Greek, you'll need the Greek Audio New Testament, available here: http://www.logos.com/products/details/4206

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:15 AM

David Mitchell:

Text-to-speech engines don't work so well with original languages. In order to be able to listen to the Bible in Greek, you'll need the Greek Audio New Testament, available here: http://www.logos.com/products/details/4206

According to the website currently this audio Bible is only available to Windows users, has this changed and not been updated, will this work on the Mac yet? If so it would be nice, I'd consider getting it at some point. But not if it isn't ready for the Mac yet.

In Christ,

Philana

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:28 AM

We added support for it in Alpha 22. Marketing hasn't gotten around to updating the page, yet.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 70
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:58 AM

Yes I know it was added. It just isn't working. Did I do something wrong or is it just a bug?

Posts 70
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:59 AM

And I do have the Greek Audio New Testament. Works great on Logos 3 on windows.

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:56 AM

David Mitchell:

We added support for it in Alpha 22. Marketing hasn't gotten around to updating the page, yet.

Do we have to purchase it separately or is it included in any of the packages I've got Platinum.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 3196
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:17 AM

Robert:

How are you trying to bring up "read aloud" ? We need more details than just that it is not working. What have you tried? I'm presuming you've made sure your sound is on and that you don't have head phones plugged in and not wearing them?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:53 AM

My Audio Greek New Testament is working to a certain extent. See my screenshot:

1. I select the passage in NA27 (it doesn't work with any other text.)
  2. I click Read aloud in the resources dropdown menu.

And it starts. However, there is no "travelling arrow" to indicate where we are in the text (as in L3). Instead I get a brief flash of a "gold star" at the beginning of a new verse.

Deficiencies: Sad

1. The arrow following the text does not work.
  2. The text scrolling does not match the sound. Unfortunately the audio lags, so that sometimes the text being spoken has vanished.
  3. The gold star flashes before the reader reaches the verse indicated. Very distracting if you are trying to follow the text.
  4. There is no way to preselect a passage to be read, say 4 or 5 verses. Instead the reader keeps on reading to the end of the book and then repeats the last verse, time after time, after time, after …
  5. There is no reading speed adjuster, as in L3.
  6. Pronunciation is not very clear. Words are slurred or truncated from time to time.

I presume this will all be fixed. I'll wait until it is. As matters stand at the moment the Audio Greek New Testament is clunky and more bother than it's worth. I'll not be using again it until I learn that it has full functionality.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 3196
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 12:53 PM

Alan:

I'm going to address your list of deficiencies in regards to the Greek New Testament Audio. Just a note, the voice here is different than the normal "Read aloud" function that works in areas other than the Nestle Aland 27th Edition. 

1. The windows version does not have this either. If this is something you would like I would suggest emailing suggest@logos.com, and posting on the Suggestion's thread or add your voice to one that might already exist. 

2. The only indicator of where the voice is with the written text visually is the star that appears when each new verse is reached. Is this not what you see? 

3. The indicator for the voice reaching a new verse is similar to that which is in the Windows version. The Windows version is a collapsing circle that appears for approximately the same amount of time. If you do not like the indicator you could probably add that to your suggestion to the email and message board post.

4. This is the same in Windows.

5. See answer to deficiency 1.

6. This one is a bit on the subjective side. I think if you compare it to the text to speech voice in Windows or Macintosh you will see that this is far and away better. it was especially made for us. How exactly it was made I do not know, but when I compare the audio between the Mac and Windows versions and even the Libronix version with the Logos4 versions they all sound the same. Could you give me a verse that i could specifically go to where I might hear the defect? 

Posts 70
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2010 2:01 AM

Sorry my bad! I am a programmer myself so I should know better.

To get the program to Read Aloud I follow the menu option as in the one users screen shot in this topic.

For english it works great. It reads the bible for me with the star showing me where I am for each verse and so on.

For greek I do the same thing. Everything is there (including the reading of the verse numbers ) the greek is not spoken at all. just silence.

FYI I did buy the Greek Audio Bible for Logos so I should have the license to access it. :)

Robert

Posts 70
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:05 AM

Just as a matter of interest. It gives the same problem in the new alpha.

Posts 3196
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 4:59 PM

Robert:

I know the file name that governs that function but do not know right now where it is. Could you take logs of your attempts at using "read aloud" in the Nestle Aland 27th Ed?  Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS