Uploaded Media Availability

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3504
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 5:26 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

vs sideloading

...the process of transferring files between two local devices...

Hmm, that definition sounds generic, but the only time I've heard sideloading used is in reference to installing Android apps.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 6892
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:04 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

DAL:
FL’s exclusive meaning of “upload.”

I don't know, it seems like a pretty common understanding ... 

...to upload is to send data to a remote system such as a server or another client so that the remote system can store a copy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upload

vs sideloading

...the process of transferring files between two local devices...

Context, Adam! Context!

My context involved (from the beginning) the following definition: up•load  (uplōd′), v.t. [Computers.]

1. To transfer (software, data, character sets, etc.) from a smaller to a larger computer.  Or from a computer to a particular program in the same computer.

That means, as stated before, that if from my laptop’s “My Pictures” folder I “upload” to the software, then it should be visible whether I’m connected to the internet or not...especially, since I’m using the same laptop.

Some have been able to understand this and NOW they ”get it.” So now it’s a matter of FL working on a fix for the problem.  That’s all!

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 3504
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:46 PM

DAL:

it should be visible whether I’m connected to the internet or not

That’s your expectation.

DAL:

Some have been able to understand this and NOW they ”get it.”

That sounds like we should agree with you that it’s broken, and that people who don’t agree with you are clueless.

Can you surf the web or download files or check for new email when you’re not connected to the internet? Perhaps an expectation of remote media being visible when you don’t have internet is a bit unrealistic?

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 28287
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 1:00 AM

PetahChristian:
That sounds like we should agree with you that it’s broken, and that people who don’t agree with you are clueless.

If "clueless" means knowing the industries standards and terminology we all plead guilty.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6892
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 1:54 AM

PetahChristian:

DAL:

it should be visible whether I’m connected to the internet or not

That’s your expectation.

DAL:

Some have been able to understand this and NOW they ”get it.”

Can you surf the web or download files or check for new email when you’re not connected to the internet? Perhaps an expectation of remote media being visible when you don’t have internet is a bit unrealistic?

Now you’re going off on a whole different trail.  Out of all MVP’s you seem to be the one that likes to argue and accuse people of the very same thing you’re guilty of.

But anyway, others understood and it seems the issue should work, but some how it doesn’t; so hopefully it’ll get fixed.  That’s all that matters 👍😁👌

Enjoy your MVP status, it seems like it makes you feel important.

DAL

Posts 176
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 2:21 AM

From Oxford

snark·y /ˈsnärkē/   adjective INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
  1. (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide. "the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
    • cranky; irritable. "Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"
Posts 3504
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 4:08 AM

If my post came across as snarky, I apologize. It wasn’t intended that way.

DAL, I don’t understand which file you expect to be visible when there is no internet. It can’t be (B) the uploaded file on FL’s server, so that only leaves (A) the original file in My Pictures outside of Logos, or (C) a local copy of A that Logos would have to import before uploading it.

I’m not asking to be argumentative. It just means that FL would have to sync that local copy, but if you went to use a different offline computer that hadn’t been synced yet, that media wouldn’t be visible there.

It‘s a complex issue, but I do understand that you merely want it to be visible.

Posts 6892
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 7:13 AM

PetahChristian:

...but if you went to use a different offline computer that hadn’t been synced yet, that media wouldn’t be visible there.

Like I said from the beginning — I’ve been using the same laptop everywhere I go.

Anyway, have a nice day man! No need to stress over anything.

Posts 28287
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 2:29 PM

PetahChristian:
DAL, I don’t understand which file you expect to be visible when there is no internet. It can’t be (B) the uploaded file on FL’s server, so that only leaves (A) the original file in My Pictures outside of Logos, or (C) a local copy of A that Logos would have to import before uploading it.

What DAL is actually asking for:

1. Initial state: image in File X
  2. Upload to cloud: Image in File Y cloud
  3. Final state: image in File X, in File Y cloud, and in local copy of File Y

True this is not the standard meaning of "upload" but I see why it could be the expectation of the user. Depending upon the storage on the non-cloud device, this could be very useful or a real pain in the neck. Are you using the cloud simply as a transfer aid or are you using it for additional storage? being the decisive question.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS