Need Help With Transferring Paper Notes to Logos

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Jeremy Morris | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 14 2019 7:21 AM

Hello everyone! Merry Christmas!

I have hundreds, if not thousands, of little miniature sermonettes, teachings and verse clusters that I don't want to lose. Is putting them all into Logos the smart choice? If so, what is the best method for doing so? Sorting, categorizing, searching by keywords, etc?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this matter!

Jeremy

Posts 23338
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 7:29 AM

Hi Jeremy

In what format do you have these notes at the moment? Paper, word processor, other apps?

And how are they currently categorised?

Graham

Posts 19
Jeremy Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 7:57 AM

Mostly written on paper. No categorization, anything from journal entries, notepads. I have some digital mind maps and Word docs but it's almost all single sheets of loose paper. I know, daunting task, but if these were digital, tagged/categorized and searchable, I'd be a very happy man!

Posts 23338
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:03 AM

Notes are flexible and general-purpose so could support what you want.

• If something relates to a set of verses then creating a note against that refernce ensures it is visible from any Bible.
  • If you want a note on a particular topic then you could use tagging in the Notes Tool for that.

However there are some other options to consider:

• You could put (some of) them into Personal Books which are fully searchable 
  • You could enter your "sermonettes" into the Sermon Editor which allows you to link them to biblcal passages and to topics. They then turn up in other Logos Tools such as the Factbook and Passage Guide

So it's probably worth looking at a range of options depending on the exact nature of each note and how you want to reference it.

Sorry I can't be much clearer / more specific than that but I hope it helps a little

Posts 19
Jeremy Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:06 AM

Thank you Graham! This is VERY helpful and points me in the right direction. I appreciate the help!

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 3:58 PM

You could scan (or photograph) them and (nonhandwritten) notes could be auto converted to WORD format. That would make it pretty straight forward to make PBBs from them. And that way you have a copy that is a format outside LOGOS as well - not a bad backup plan. You have a searchable copy in Logos and as such the rigor of organizing them within books would not be so important as it would in notes..

An 'outside Logos' solution would be to scan (or take pictures of them) and put them in MS Notes as well. It accepts any format. But this solution would not allow you to search in Logos. 

Posts 73
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 6:30 AM

You might look into Evernote.  You can scan your handwritten notes in and they are searchable (if uploaded to Evernote as a photograph).  You can also easily tag your notes.  This is probably the easiest from a time required perspective and will give you tagging, searching, and the ability to see your notes on any device.  The down side is you don’t have integration with Logos and so you have to be ok with doing a search in two software programs.

i can’t fathom retyping that many hand written notes into the Logos Notes tool.  That option allows you to “anchor” your notes and have them integrated  with Logos like the software is intended to be used, but would take a tremendous effort.  Using the Personal Book Builder as others have suggested is a compromise on effort and being able to access your notes in Logos with less functionality.  

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 1:59 PM

Lots of phone apps provide good document scan functions. If you use Microsoft One Drive, there is a document scanning option built into the iOS OneDrive app. (Just tap the big camera icon on the bottom center bar of the app.)

As has already been mentioned, the Evernote app can take pictures of documents.

Right now my favorite app for scanning documents is Scanner Pro. It's ability to automatically recognize and crop a document is top notch and it does a better job of outputting PDFs that look like documents made through word processors, rather than a bunch of photos collected into a document. The OCR function (the ability to recognize the text on your document) works really well, though probably not with actual handwriting. 

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 2:10 PM

I have a friend who went through his Bibles and handcopied all of his marginal notes into notes tied to the verses they referenced. I did the same thing early on in my Christian life and am very happy I did. 

All that you would do is work through your Bible Genesis to Revelation and add a note to the verse or verse range that your note applies to

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 19
Jeremy Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 12:08 PM

Awesome ideas everyone! Thank you, this helps tons! =)

Posts 184
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 7:55 PM

I understand that the Logos Notes function is getting much better.

That said, for me personally, I'd recommend either Evernote or OneNote.  Evernote is good, and as others have said, you can scan/take phone pictures of them, and Evernote will store the images, and the text in the pictures will be completely searchable.

However, I believe that with OneNote, you can scan them in, or take pictures of them with your phone, and OneNote will convert them to digital text.  They will then be searchable, and when you add more notes in the future, they will be in the same format.  Might not convert your notes perfectly, but I've heard that if your handwriting isn't too bad, the encoder has amazing accuracy.

A major advantage of keeping notes in Evernote or OneNote is that you can add notes at any time, from any location, with phone, tablet, or computer, in literally a few seconds.  I make quick notes all the time, often when I'm out and about, and then the next time I open it on my computer, I can format it better if necessary, add tags, and I'm done.

Of course, if you were to type them into Logos yourself, it might refresh your memory, and solidify in you what you thought was worth making note of in the first place...

Posts 19
Jeremy Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:09 PM

YES!!! I think both scanning in and re-typing into Logos would be beneficial in many ways! Thanks =)

Posts 28
CharlyG | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 8:42 AM

I use OneNote for my writing project along with Scrivener. I would really like to integrate OneNote with Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS