Temporary Stopgap Software Solutions until I can buy feature set(s)?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 15 2019 9:56 AM

At the moment I am a Bronze user. I am still very new to Logos overall, and very busy. I'm asking if there are external, strongly preferably free, or at least ultra cheap software solutions to any and all features which I cannot yet buy. My plan is, if all goes well, some time next year to purchase either Silver, or failing that, just the Full Feature set. 

I'll use an example which are most pertinent right now. I'm asking if there's anything I can use for Sermons. I imagine workflows, it's impossible to do externally. I'd like to be able to experiment and sometime down the line, import sermons into the Sermon Editor from external tools after I finally purchase it. 

It's not that big of a deal if there isn't Sermon editing software out there though. But I'd like to experiment with it at least and see how I like it and if it might be useful to people who don't use Logos. (In my opinion, they really should use it.)

Anyway, if there are any external tools for features, or even features which aren't yet in Logos, I'd be interested in checking them out. I've found some great free painting software which will allow me to make non-copyrighted images to use in presentations.

Posts 470
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 1:12 PM

suggest you check out the Faithlife Connect monthly subscription option.

https://connect.faithlife.com/ 

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 1:36 PM

Thanks But i'm just going to wait until I have the resources to buy silver or the feature set. by the time I can afford a consistent monthly subscription i can probably swing 120 dollars in one setting when there/s base discounts for the full feature set.

Posts 25375
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 3:37 PM

Chrisser:
I'll use an example which are most pertinent right now. I'm asking if there's anything I can use for Sermons.

Consider a Personal Book(s) with Sermon Support

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 4:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

Chrisser:
I'll use an example which are most pertinent right now. I'm asking if there's anything I can use for Sermons.

Consider a Personal Book(s) with Sermon Support

Great advice! I was going to suggest the competition’s “sermon editor” called ”Paper” which is cheap and is at the moment better than the one Logos offers.  A starter package in the competition offers full features compared to Logos where we have to pay extra and separately for ”full features” that sometimes are not full features because suddenly another “full feature” set pops up asking for extra money because they forgot to include some features in the first “full feature set.”

DAL

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 8:34 PM

I'll look at it but i'm having an awful night. Just gonna not worry about it now probbaly.

Posts 209
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 10:27 PM

Humm....

Well 1st I would look at an office suite like LibreOffice. With it you get a word processor (like WORD) a spread sheet (like EXCEL), presentation software (like POWER POINT), Drawing/Diagramming software (like VISIO), and database software, ALL FOR FREE !!

Write your sermon in the word processor and create your projection slides (powerpoint style).

You can save the sermon as a docx file and make a personal book out of it. You get the same basic type functionality from the office suite but you do have to do just a little more work to get it into LOGOS.

Just one idea.....

Posts 477
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 1:26 AM

Chrisser:

I'll use an example which are most pertinent right now. I'm asking if there's anything I can use for Sermons. I imagine workflows, it's impossible to do externally. I'd like to be able to experiment and sometime down the line, import sermons into the Sermon Editor from external tools after I finally purchase it. 

background: logos user for 11 years, 3000+ resources, FLC essentials subscriber (Logos Now early adopter), regular preacher in a local church.

Personally, given how many preachers use logos I think the sermon editor is one of the worst tools the feature set has to offer. I say that having forced myself to use it for about two years before I gave up.

The slideshow tool is very inflexible and particularly weak. For example, there is no animation support,  no ability to insert an image as an object, headings and text formatting support is weak,  and due to the heavy reliance on custom fonts in their template styles most powerpoints are rendered unusable when exported as an editable file. Not to mention Inability to add simple line breaks in text boxes.

The text editor itself is not much better. The automatic slide generation is nice but then... see above paragraph. in addition text editing function is weak, there is no support for fairly common syntax styles like Markdown (A common feature in a lot of blogging, forum, and alternative word processing platforms now eg. Wordpress, Stack exchange, Ulyesses, Atom, etc. ). There is no support for third party spellchecking softwares like Grammarly (cf. MS Word, Google Docs, and every major Web browser). 

That said, I'd encourage you to stick with whatever external text editor application you use at the moment (MS Word or Google Docs?)  and save your money for a base package upgrade. What logos does really well is books and searching them. What it doesn't do well is trying to copy what other programs (word, Google docs, powerpoint, etc.) can do. So I view logos as my digital research assistant; great for research and reading. But when it comes to writing up and making presentations I go elsewhere. 

I commend FLC essentials (if it is in your price range) but not for the sermon tool alone but for all the datasets, RIs, etc that will supercharge your digital research assistant even more. 

If like many you'd like your sermon's searchable in logos, then you can A. Create a notebook, add them as notes, and anchor them to their passages (my approach) or B. create a personal book for them as others have suggested.

I hope that helps, Liam 

Carpe verbum.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS