This post has 711 Replies | 43 Followers

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 12:37 PM
  • Fix the GUI for tabs that L8 introduced:
  • Control the tab width for long names e.g. from merged Passage Lists
  • remove space reserved for the X
  • Show all link set and target icons by dropping resource images if necessary
  • remove the name from Collections, Library, etc. tabs (with distinctive icons) to facilitate link set/target icons for other tabs
  • remove the artifact vertical/horizontal lines from tab menus when Program Scaling < 100
  • remove tabbing arrows that overlap the first tab when it is not fully revealed
  • Remove the large decorative Logos icon from the main toolbar
  • Allow users to vote for bugs to be fixed

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11070
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 1:39 PM

John:
If you really want to “win then next generation of users”....you’re going to have to make a full featured mobile app.

Or the older generation. After pulling our PCs off the net, we wondered what might happen. 

1. Stopped buying virus software.

2. Stopped Logos updates and re-indexing (with a serious reduction in purchasing, but I suspect poor sales)

3. Can't update our Suunto's. Hoping they'll update thru ios.

That's it. 

I'd say full-featured Logos mobile app, after they do normal featured mobile app.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2458
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 3:03 PM

John:
If you really want to “win then next generation of users”....you’re going to have to make a full featured mobile app.  Until that happens the customer base will continue to age. I see millennials and younger using Logos on computers only because the features they need for seminary aren’t available in the mobile app, and the second they graduate they ditch it.  The younger generation is increasingly doing sermon prep and research on phones and tablets, and are not buying as many computers.

I'm not so sure. I bought a keyboard for my new iPad but I haven't transitioned to preparing messages on it and that's not because of Logos. I can prepare a message with an open Bible and a legal pad if need be. The tablet simply isn't scaled to run a full passage layout and it's downright cramped to type on. I use it for reading prep and to do some exegesis, but it's not a desktop/laptop replacement.

More features are very welcome but the problem isn't Logos. And even if the next-gen could run a full Logos app on an iPad, when they hit 40, they will be reaching for a laptop for the same reasons us oldsters do.Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1545
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 11:16 PM

Touch screen improvement was mentioned previously and I support it very much.

Mobile screens are small but there is some indication that they'll grow: Samsung Fold as an example.

Thus I would suggest good integration with the PC and mobile Logos. ComputerFor example it would be nice to use the same layouts in the mobile (small screen) and with the PC (multiple large screens). 

I am an oldie but I use the phone/tablet  to read resources. But the PC is good for the full analysis when I can see the large picture: many small windows/tabs simultaneously.

I expect that Linux will sneak in at some point. Gift

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1770
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 6:46 AM

Occasionally, Apple has released a macOS that was slim in new features and focused on bug fixes: Snow Leopard (which followed Leopard) and High Sierra (following Sierra). These are often remembered by users as some of the best macOS’s. For me, bug fixes and stability and speed are features! Please don't add big new features that consume a lot of coding and debugging and improving time. Fix and improve what is already there.

As far as the bugs go, I am sure you have a list somewhere that is a mile long. It would be nice to see the list posted on the forums. Perhaps there’s a way that people could even vote on what bugs are most critical to them.

Dave listed a few that are big for me also:

Dave Hooton:

• Fix the GUI for tabs that L8 introduced:
  • Control the tab width for long names e.g. from merged Passage Lists
  • remove space reserved for the X
  • Show all link set and target icons by dropping resource images if necessary
  • remove the name from Collections, Library, etc. tabs (with distinctive icons) to facilitate link set/target icons for other tabs
  • remove the artifact vertical/horizontal lines from tab menus when Program Scaling < 100 [especially this one for me]
  • remove tabbing arrows that overlap the first tab when it is not fully revealed
  • Allow users to vote for bugs to be fixed

New features? A few…mainly just improvements on what is already there. 

1) one that’s getting a lot of attention over at Uservoice is the Dark Mode (https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-8/suggestions/3357966-night-mode-for-pc-mac). 

2) Improve highlighting to include linking highlights with lines—as suggested here by J. Remington Bowling: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/186541/1076793.aspx#1076793 

A competitor has just released a new version with this very feature:

3) Continue to work on improving the new Notes Tool. I would love to see the ability to search and highlight those searches within our notes. Also, I would love to have the ability to import images into Notes. Others have made many good suggestions for improving the Notes Tool. I like the direction it's going. 

4) Add built-in PDF import for Personal Books. Some of us don't use Word at all. A lot of articles are PDF to begin with and need to be converted to DocX by the user. I hate to mention the competitor again, but their new version has the ability to import from PDF.

Posts 227
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 9:39 AM

Levi Durfey:
Add built-in PDF import for Personal Books. Some of us don't use Word at all. A lot of articles are PDF to begin with and need to be converted to DocX by the user.
 Yes

Also a new feature that would be beneficial for preachers would be a sermon planner/scheduler and perhaps even a sermon log.

Posts 14
Alberto Deluca | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 10:31 AM

Just for clarification purposes — Accordance highlights are great, but the drawing part where you can circle a word and draw a line to link it with another word is part of their “Whiteboard mode.” The highlights and markings on Whiteboard mode don’t get automatically saved.  You would have to save a screenshot of the drawings and markings if you want to save a copy in your pictures.

Posts 1770
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:10 PM

Alberto Deluca:
Just for clarification purposes — Accordance highlights are great, but the drawing part where you can circle a word and draw a line to link it with another word is part of their “Whiteboard mode.” The highlights and markings on Whiteboard mode don’t get automatically saved.  You would have to save a screenshot of the drawings and markings if you want to save a copy in your pictures.

No, what I showed is part of their "Pen Tool," not the "Whiteboard Tool." 

Posts 14
Alberto Deluca | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:44 PM

Levi Durfey:

Alberto Deluca:

I see, but even then, the linking lines and all are not saved as actual highlights.

Posts 14
Alberto Deluca | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:55 PM

Alberto Deluca:

Levi Durfey:

Alberto Deluca:

I see, but even then, the linking lines and all are not saved as actual highlights.

I stand corrected! Wow, I just double checked and the pen feature DOES save when connecting words!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Posts 118
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 4:59 PM

Fix Maps!

The simple ability to double or single click on a place and find the right contextual map and have it zoom in on that place.

If I am in Nehemiah 2:11 and click on Jerusalem the atlas should go directly to a map of Jerusalem in Nehemiah's Day.

In Nehemiah 2:14 I could further click on Fountain Gate in my NKJV Bible and it would zoom in to that location in my map.   https://ref.ly/logosres/db:biblical-places-maps?art=JerusalemInTimesOfEzraAndNehemiah

The problem with Logos 7 Maps is they are too slow and dependent on a good internet connection. Having this ability with static maps such as Logos 5 Maps or the New Moody Bible Atlas, ESV Bible Atlas, ect. would be awsome!  

When presenting this on the fly in a bible study or sermon I would go through Paul's Missionary Journey with the same map and double click in my Bible and have it zoom in on the various places quickly and stay with the same map until I go to a different context in the Bible.  Having this ability in static maps would make it a lot faster and I would not have to pause a minute in my sermon to let the internet catch up or try to right menu click, find the right map and then try to zoom in on the location.     

Visual filters could also be added in the Bible for contextual maps highlighting the various cities (for example) Paul's first Missionary Journey and this would make it easier to follow along in a Map.  

And yes another vote for Carta!

Posts 118
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 5:36 PM

The ability to search for all kings in the book of Daniel. The ability to search for all places in the book of Acts.  The concordance tool already has these results but the ability to search by subkind or Biblical Entity is still not available.  The ability to search for all Women in the Bible, ect. 

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 5:52 PM

Just to address an annoyance:

For desktop versions, refine the "Service Release" concept.

9.0.0.xxxx = Logos 9
9.1.0.xxxx = Logos 9 SR-1   and so on.

In between truely major service releases, introduce atomistic, delta patches. Case in point, very minor fixes or even cosmetic fixes to update version number.

Posts 337
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 7:32 PM

John Brumett:

Fix Maps!

The simple ability to double or single click on a place and find the right contextual map and have it zoom in on that place.

If I am in Nehemiah 2:11 and click on Jerusalem the atlas should go directly to a map of Jerusalem in Nehemiah's Day.

In Nehemiah 2:14 I could further click on Fountain Gate in my NKJV Bible and it would zoom in to that location in my map.   https://ref.ly/logosres/db:biblical-places-maps?art=JerusalemInTimesOfEzraAndNehemiah

The problem with Logos 7 Maps is they are too slow and dependent on a good internet connection. Having this ability with static maps such as Logos 5 Maps or the New Moody Bible Atlas, ESV Bible Atlas, ect. would be awsome!  

When presenting this on the fly in a bible study or sermon I would go through Paul's Missionary Journey with the same map and double click in my Bible and have it zoom in on the various places quickly and stay with the same map until I go to a different context in the Bible.  Having this ability in static maps would make it a lot faster and I would not have to pause a minute in my sermon to let the internet catch up or try to right menu click, find the right map and then try to zoom in on the location.     

Visual filters could also be added in the Bible for contextual maps highlighting the various cities (for example) Paul's first Missionary Journey and this would make it easier to follow along in a Map.  

Yes

Posts 3
Nicholas Petersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 1:44 AM

#1. Dark mode. Beyond essential for 2020.

#2. A beautiful dark mode.

#3. Beautiful touch / tablet friendliness for full app:

I was so excited many years back for the new Windows touch app, I can understand why that never panned out, but THE MAIN POINT is the same: the desktop app needs to become less bulky, more touch and tablet / 2in1 friendly, and far less slow. The mobile apps can’t begin to offer what the full desktop app can for serious study, but that doesn’t mean the bigger app shouldn’t become touch and snappy / happy friendly as well. Forget all new features, bring Logos into the current and future (mobile apps are already good here ). Anything else makes me worry about my tens of thousands investment in Logos 😿 Please say tears are not needed, I’m worried Logos is getting too dinosaurish, I have faith that this worry was premature though 😺 Yes?

As a .NET programmer, if it is not, by all means update this WPF app to net core 3.1! 

Thanks guys for what you do, it’s for the Kingdom.

I

Posts 4009
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 2:45 AM

John Brumett:

Fix Maps!

Good call! Forgot maps but I doubt they’ll do anything with it. It has been an issue since L6

Posts 181
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 4:34 AM

I would like to see all of the features available on the iPad.

Posts 1475
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 1:15 PM

Easier/faster searching for Bible verses. I don't mean how fast a search runs; rather, I may recollect a few words from a verse, trying to look up the reference. 

I used to turn to Bibleworks for this, because it was so easy to generate/run such a search. (Had to hit "escape" to get my cursor to the search bar, then ".[search terms]" enter. That's it.)

Now I turn to google.

Logos' command bar and structure are too cumbersome to do this quickly, too many steps, too much mouse clicking.

I'm happy to expand on this.  

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2278
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 2:23 PM

Dave Hooton:

Yes

Maps:

Yes

Ben:

Easier/faster searching for Bible verses. I don't mean how fast a search runs; rather, I may recollect a few words from a verse, trying to look up the reference. 

I used to turn to Bibleworks for this, because it was so easy to generate/run such a search. (Had to hit "escape" to get my cursor to the search bar, then ".[search terms]" enter. That's it.)

Now I turn to google.

Logos' command bar and structure are too cumbersome to do this quickly, too many steps, too much mouse clicking.

Yes

Posts 902
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 7:27 AM

Ben:

Now I turn to google.

I'm happy to expand on this.  

Yes, searching in general (not only searching for Bible verses) is too complex. I also use Google to search the Internet instead of Logos to search my library.

Page 6 of 36 (712 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS