Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 8 of 36 (712 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 711 Replies | 43 Followers

Posts 97
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 1:57 PM

I third!

Posts 97
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 1:59 PM

I'd like to see other biblical books' explorer such as the Psalms and Proverbs explorers!

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 5:18 PM

Logos needs the ability for a user to mark resources in, say, a passage guide.  There will be a lot of times where, in studying a particular passage or subject, we will use the same search tool, like the passage guide.  We will have hundreds of resources to look at.  We need some way to mark them as: read, helpful, not helpful, really good, refer back, etc.   If I'm studying a subject over a period of time, I won't remember which journal articles I looked at, or which commentaries.  I need some way to mark them so I don't repeat things I did before.

Logos 7 had an option where we could star a commentary in the passage guide if it was particularly good.  This option should be back but expanded.  

The simplest way would be to put, say, 5 stars next to each resource.  When you hover over the stars, it gives the meaning: 1 not helpful  2 read

3  good   4  really good

this is something that some serious thought should be put into to determine how many stars and for what.  But certainly at least these 4.

Posts 29347
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 6:22 PM

Larry Craig:
We need some way to mark them as: read, helpful, not helpful, really good, refer back, etc. 

We used to have this feature in some guide sections; then we only had a note section where we could note such information; now we have nothing. Why? for two reasons: (1) the features had very little usage (2) the redesigned guides have no permanent existence on which to store the data - this solved problems re: new resources, for example. I agree that we need the function ... I'm just noting some of the issues that need to be considered in regaining the functiion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 6:30 PM

I'm glad at least that you agree that we need this function.  I don't understand your comment that the features had very little usage.  (No need to explain yourself)

Maybe a second best solution is to make the stars a part of the resource title.  We will know then which resources have been read, which are good resources, ones we like, but no we wouldn't know in a particular passage if the resource was helpful.

thank you

Posts 3776
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 4:14 PM

Larry Craig:
I don't understand your comment that the features had very little usage.  (No need to explain yourself)

I think what MJ meant was that hardly anyone used them.

Larry Craig:
Maybe a second best solution is to make the stars a part of the resource title.  We will know then which resources have been read, which are good resources, ones we like, but no we wouldn't know in a particular passage if the resource was helpful.

Are you aware that you can edit the titles of resources as they appear to you by viewing them in a Library tab? Clicking on the (i) in the Library to open the Info pane with a resource selected will allow you to edit the resource's title by clicking on the small pencil icon.

Posts 3776
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 4:17 PM

NB.Mick:
- Make the homepage worth wile for me again. It's usable, yes, but not likeable. [...] Seeing screenshots from the L7 homepage ribbon, with all that functionality for lectionaries, daily devotionals (nothing really that big, but seeing the readings displayed or at least coming up on mouse over really made a difference. [...] Or bring back the L7 ribbon as a Tool ("lectionary ribbon" or "daily devotional tool") for the standard view. If you were to do so, you could easily save on developer time and ditch the homepage altogether. I know you won't, because it's a shop-window into things we own, things we should explore and things we should buy from you - but then, this only works if people look into the window. I started Logos to the homepage and looked at it nearly daily in L7 times because of the ribbon.

I agree.

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 4:22 PM

I've edited hundreds of titles, including the author, so when I have a hundred Gospel of Johns, I know immediately who wrote it.  Logos needs to find ways to save people time.  A star system would be better than me editing titles.  Plus a star is yellow and type is black.  Easier to see.  Save time.

Thank you

I can't imagine that few people used them.  I'm sure the ones who used them really appreciated them.

Posts 3776
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 4:29 PM

Larry Craig:
I've edited hundreds of titles, including the author, so when I have a hundred Gospel of Johns, I know immediately who wrote it. 

Likewise. Prioritization on its own only achieves so much in the Passage Guide.

Larry Craig:
Logos needs to find ways to save people time.

Yes.

Larry Craig:
A star system would be better than me editing titles.  Plus a star is yellow and type is black.  Easier to see.  Save time.

I agree. I do think starring particular commentaries with different star counts based on the passage one is looking at is probably not terribly feasible, but being able to star particular volumes such that whenever they appear in a Passage Guide, Topic Guide, etc., there's a star present would be handy. I would probably use that feature. It would be better still if each star could be a variable user-chosen colour. (Someone might put a blue star on commentaries with excellent pastoral application, a green one on the very best grammatical analyses of the original languages, etc.)

Something like this could be connected in some way with the GUI refresh for Prioritization that's been requested earlier in this thread.

Posts 27
Brandon Early | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 6:06 PM

The text to speech feature in Mac is so helpful. However, when I do the Mac text to speech function in Logos it seeming reads what sounds like footnotes, not the text I have selected.

Please enable the Mac text to speech.

Posts 28469
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 8:38 PM

Brandon Early:

The text to speech feature in Mac is so helpful. However, when I do the Mac text to speech function in Logos it seeming reads what sounds like footnotes, not the text I have selected.

Please enable the Mac text to speech.

I don't understand your post. It might be helpful to create a new thread and explain your issue clearly. Specific examples with screenshots might be good too. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 87
Robert Kelbe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:25 AM

I think the problems with the passage guide mentioned above could be solved by replacing the hyperlinked titles in the passage guide with an embedded library window (filtered to show the same resources, and modified so that when you opened the resource it would open to the correct location). This would allow you to have stars, tags, author, etc. It would also unify the user experience because the library user interface would be familiar. They could also add prioritization as a column and sort by that (it shows up sometimes, but not others, I'm not sure why).

Below is a rough idea of what it would look like. 

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 8:51 AM

I could live with that.  Thank you

Posts 813
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 5:14 PM

mab:

<snip/>

I was wondering about the possibility of making the interface variable in size. I love making the print size very readable, but the interface cannot be made larger that I know of and it's sometimes a challenge to read things that are bit smallish. This might be a bear to do, but some of us older folks would appreciate it.

Typing "Set Program Scaling to 150%" in the command bar makes most aspects of the user interface significantly larger. I have an icon on the toolbar to make this convenient (and another to set it back to default, 100%). Does this accomplish what you're looking for? 

Posts 813
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 5:24 PM

Ben:

Easier/faster searching for Bible verses. I don't mean how fast a search runs; rather, I may recollect a few words from a verse, trying to look up the reference. 

I used to turn to Bibleworks for this, because it was so easy to generate/run such a search. (Had to hit "escape" to get my cursor to the search bar, then ".[search terms]" enter. That's it.)

Now I turn to google.

Logos' command bar and structure are too cumbersome to do this quickly, too many steps, too much mouse clicking.

I'm happy to expand on this.  

Fuzzy Bible Search works pretty well for me. Click on the magnifying class to open search; select Basic; select Everything as the search scope if necessary. Here are the expanded results for "come to me" (a pretty vague phrase):

Posts 162
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2019 10:50 AM

Hi Phil, 

Great thread.  One of my primary pet peeves is with the guides.  If you follow a guide through each step by the time you reach the end, you've got a huge number of notes icons in your passage.  I think a good idea would be to simply have one note icon show up for each passage in which a guide is used.  This will still allow people to see the icon and refer back to the full guide but will de-clutter the passage landscape. 

Cheers and Happy New Year! 

Posts 671
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2020 9:06 AM

Audio Hebrew Bible, please. Yea ASAP, if not sooner (in Logos 8)Big Smile

Posts 8497
LogosEmployee

Steve Maling:

Audio Hebrew Bible, please. Yea ASAP, if not sooner (in Logos 8)Big Smile

News on the availability of an Audio Hebrew Bible will be posted on this suggestion: https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-8/suggestions/5159422-audio-hebrew

Posts 104
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2020 10:40 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

• What general themes or areas should we focus on?
  • What bugs should we fix?
  • What improvements should we make to existing features?
  • What new features should we add?
  • What new data sets should we build?
  • What new books should we include?

Please specify desktop, mobile, and/or web, where appropriate.

What does your ideal Logos 9 upgrade look like? What would make Logos 9 an irresistible upgrade for you?

If different, what should we do to win the next generation of new users?

Please include links to forum threads, User Voice requests, etc. where applicable.

We've reviewed the User Voice feedback for desktop, mobile, and books, but I want to make sure that the priorities there are reflective of the current priorities of our forum community.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!

Affordability is the key issue for me. For example, some works, like Keil & Delitzsch, are free, open-source materials, yet cost $50 for a digital edition. If the material you're getting is available for free elsewhere, it should at least be fairly cheap. I would buy a lot more of your resources if I could afford them. I do appreciate the payment over time option, but feel that the materials which are already in the public domain could be significantly reduced in price.

As a new user, one of the perhaps bug-fixes or feature requests I would also appreciate, is that when your existing feature-set (e.g., "basic features") does not contain a reference necessary to populate a feature (e.g., "Example Uses" in the Bible Word Study option), that the a notification comes right out and says that, giving you a link to the set you need to upgrade to, to get that resource. This does happen sometimes, but not always.

For example, the mobile version for Logos 8 includes the resource "Example uses" (derived from the resource "Andersen-Forbes Hebrew Grammatical Relationships"), and populates this on the mobile version

The PC version does not do this, and doesn't inform you why you don't see the information populated:

It took me several hours in the community area to discover that I had to upgrade to a higher feature-set, to access this feature in the Windows version. Bringing this to people's attention and giving them a link to click for the upgrade, would probably also help improve sales. I know Logos does do this sometimes, but evidently not for this particular feature, at least.

Posts 28469
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2020 11:47 AM

Lee Gordon:
Affordability is the key issue for me. For example, some works, like Keil & Delitzsch, are free, open-source materials, yet cost $50 for a digital edition.

The FL model is free software, paid resources. The revenue needs to come from some place. The "best deals" are on large library purchases, which help to mitigate the high expense of the public domain resources. 

On the other hand, if you want a public domain resource for cheap, just make a personal book yourself. If you miss the extra features of the "Logos Edition," you will have to determine if it is worth the price asked. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 8 of 36 (712 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS