Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 22 of 38 (741 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last »
This post has 740 Replies | 44 Followers

Posts 18597
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2020 11:48 PM

Larry Craig:
You seem to be content, if I understand you right, to only prioritize a few commentaries for each book.  I don't have as many commentaries as you (4362), but I can see a need to prioritize a lot of them.  When I can expand the list 4 -5 times, I don't want some really good books buried under 200 other  commentaries, but with the current system of prioritization, after a while, you have no idea where the books are in order except for knowing that prioritized some and not others.

My custom series (individual volumes from a variety of sets) for "Top 2 Commentaries" ranges from 2 volumes for Ezra to 8 volumes for Micah with most Bible Books having 3 or 4 volumes (Top Two variety: Technical, Pastoral, Devotional, Special, Jewish). Currently have 108 Library Prioritizations of Commentaries (mostly series). Hence any Passage Guide has a decent starting prioritization order (UBS, Top 2 Volumes, Others). If find a really good commentary volume, then can add it to my custom "Top 2 Commentaries" for future use. Also if not like a "Top 2" volume, can remove it from my custom series (deleting custom value allows default value to be restored). Part of my commentary title convention includes series abbreviation, which allows me to find all volumes in a set (those in Top 2 and those in original series). For example, Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) has 61 volumes with 23 of them in my "Top 2 Commentaries" series.

For prioritization (and library filtering), dreaming of special attributes being visible in Library: e.g. Indexes, Reverse interlinears, ...

Also dreaming of library purchase date (ideally with order correlation so can find initial purchase date for resource - easier to verify what was new to library when an order was placed for a base package, expansion, ...)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2020 5:58 AM

thank you

Posts 104
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2020 8:22 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

...Hence any Passage Guide has a decent starting prioritization order (UBS, Top 2 Volumes, Others)...

Do you use UBS for translating, or just for a regular commentary? If just for a regular commentary, how good is it, in your opinion? 

Posts 76
Thomas Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2020 10:44 AM

That I would be able to rearrange my entire library the way I would like it.  

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2020 10:47 AM

I think you should give some examples of what you would want to do with it.  They might think you can already do that.  They have a lot of options already available.

Posts 18597
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2020 1:36 PM

Lee Gordon:

...Hence any Passage Guide has a decent starting prioritization order (UBS, Top 2 Volumes, Others)...

Do you use UBS for translating, or just for a regular commentary? If just for a regular commentary, how good is it, in your opinion? 

Regular commentary that focuses on key concepts for translation with cross cultural expression and textual criticism.

Logos Wiki => Logos Resource Reviews includes UBS New Testament Handbook Series and UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2020 5:14 PM

I have a large library (20,000 titles).  I have spent way too much time organizing them, things like adding author's name to books, adding the series title for commentaries.  when I am working with the library, every time I make a change to a book, tag or title, it goes all the way to the top, so I have to scroll back down to where i was working.  Way too much time wasted, but Logos really needs to have author and series names with book titles.  It doesn't help to have a hundred books titled Gospel of John.  

Logos can do more to have more pre-made collections or try harder to tag monographs more.  I have hundreds of monographs that are specific to a book of the Bible or, say, the gospels.  When I do a passage guide on, say, Matthew something, all the relevant monographs about Matthew should appear in a section already set up by Logos.  Users spend way too much time trying to make their libraries more usable.

Thank you.

Posts 18597
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2020 7:18 PM

Larry Craig:
I have a large library (20,000 titles).  I have spent way too much time organizing them, things like adding author's name to books, adding the series title for commentaries.  when I am working with the library, every time I make a change to a book, tag or title, it goes all the way to the top, so I have to scroll back down to where i was working.  Way too much time wasted, but Logos really needs to have author and series names with book titles.  It doesn't help to have a hundred books titled Gospel of John.  

Concur, especially annoying is Library refresh automatically interrupting Title customization (so have to find partially modified Title to reselect resource information before can complete customization)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2042
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2020 9:31 PM

Larry Craig:

Concur, especially annoying is Library refresh automatically interrupting Title customization (so have to find partially modified Title to reselect resource information before can complete customization)

Keep Smiling Smile

This is my #1 issue I need addressed. 

Nathan Parker

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 3:27 AM

Larry Craig:
Logos can do more to have more pre-made collections or try harder to tag monographs more.  I have hundreds of monographs that are specific to a book of the Bible or, say, the gospels.  When I do a passage guide on, say, Matthew something, all the relevant monographs about Matthew should appear in a section already set up by Logos.  Users spend way too much time trying to make their libraries more usable.

I'm not disagreeing with your main point, but using the subject field can be a big help in finding monographs that deal with particular books of the Bible. You can then create dynamic collections of these books for future use. For example, I can find monographs on Deuteronomy by using the filter type:monograph subject:Deuteronomy.

But while all these books might be useful for a general study on Deuteronomy, I'm not sure how many would be useful in a study of a particular passage in Deuteronomy – which is no doubt one of the reasons why Logos doesn't include them in the Passage Guide.

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 6:19 AM

Thanks, Mark

I know using the index of a book to find helpful information on a passage in the Bible is a crapshoot, but I have found a lot of monographs which are essentially commentaries, just not organized or complete enough to meet FL standards.  

I have 12,000 books listed as monographs.  I feel like I'm not getting full use of them, and I think Logos could and should do more.  

Ever use WordSearch.  When I do, I use their cross reference function, which is comparable to passage guide.  Every book in my library is categorized under helpful labels and not simply monographs (miscellaneous).  

Using your suggestion is helpful.  But there are 66 books in the Bible.  The time Logos saves me in a search I spend more than that trying to organize my library better..  

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 2:17 PM

Larry Craig:
But there are 66 books in the Bible.

Sure. But we normally only study one or two at at time. Create your collections, as and when you need them. It only takes a few seconds.

Larry Craig:
Ever use WordSearch.  When I do, I use their cross reference function, which is comparable to passage guide.

I'm fairly sure that their cross-reference function is comparable to the Collections section of the Passage Guide. If you don't want to create 66 collections, just create a Monographs collection, and then use that in the Collections section of the Passage Guide.

Posts 29591
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 2:22 PM

Mark Barnes:
But while all these books might be useful for a general study on Deuteronomy, I'm not sure how many would be useful in a study of a particular passage in Deuteronomy – which is no doubt one of the reasons why Logos doesn't include them in the Passage Guide.

This is, I think, a function of what is in your library. I have a number of monographs, paper and Logos, that are thorough studies of a single event, chapter, even a few verses. I agree with those who believe that FL underindexes essays, academic papers, and "true" monographs.

PS. Some of us have more than 66 books; some of us rarely study a single book in the context of church/ministry. I handle the problem with a large number of heading/large text searches on collections where I am less familiar with the materials; a simple passage search (or collection in Passage Guide) for materials I know better.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2020 2:33 PM

too late  all done

thank you for taking the time to try to help me

Posts 189
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2020 3:02 AM

- Add remaining pages to end reading the current chapter.

- Enable reading progress bar in several columns mode.

Posts 442
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2020 8:33 PM

I'll admit that I have not read through all 20+ pages of this thread, so it might be here. But, I would love the ability to create a notebook in Notes from a new note..i.e. when I go to the select notebook screen, there be an option right there to create a New Notebook. 

If that's already possible and I've somehow been missing it..please let me know. Thanks! 

Posts 2042
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2020 8:52 PM

Here's a few additional pieces of feedback for Logos 9:

Overall, I was pleased with the rollout of Logos 8. I enjoyed the feature enhancements, plus the rollout to Faithlife Connect users went smoothly. The base package upgrades were also very affordable and the most affordable I've purchased in a long while. My first recommendation is: duplicate what you did with Logos 8, don't "mess it up", and overall, you'll be a success.

I would also use this time to put the brakes on major new features and use this time to fine-tune Logos and make enhancements to existing features. Logos 9 would be a good time to have a "Snow Leopard" or "Windows 7" release. Some areas to focus on:

• Performance: “If it would save a person’s life, could you find a way to shave 10 seconds off the search time for concordance? the indexing?, etc?"
  • Cross Platform Support: Continue to bring more features to mobile and the web so we can do more with Logos everywhere we go.
  • Enhance Logos 8 features: Possibly make some minor enhancements to Workflows, the new Home Page, Theology Guide, the new Notes, Canvas, etc.
  • Get More Out of Books: I have over 10,000 books in Logos. Before I invest in another base package upgrade, it would be great to find ways to get more out of the books I own and see how to leverage the power of my existing library.
  • Bible study tips from Logos employees: I'd like to see this go beyond the Logos Pro team. I want to know how typical Logos employees use Logos on their day-to-day use. How does Bob, Phil, my sales rep, customer service reps, etc., use Logos on a regular basis. Seeing their Bible study tips and processes would encourage me in my personal studies.

I don't need Logos 9 to be flashy or to wow me. Just double down on giving the program a major tuneup so it's speedy, stable, and solid and I'm happy.

Nathan Parker

Posts 896
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2020 4:33 AM

Hi Nathan

Just looking over your suggestions, I think you should probably be a little more specific. If I was at Logos, I wouldn't know a lot of the time exactly what I would do to help here.

Get more out of your books.  What are you looking for?  Some people have suggested adding author's names and series titles.  More premade collections to add to existing guides.  

Bible study tips.  There is a Facebook site for that already.  Don't worry about what Logos staff people do.  They have fulltime jobs doing other things.  Ask the people who prepare sermons and teach for a living how they use Logos.  It's Logos Bible Tips and Tricks.

Enhance features.  Like what?

The more specific you can be, the more likely I think you might see what you want.  

But then I don't work for them.  I'm hoping for a lot of things too.

Larry

Posts 42
Paul Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2020 4:48 AM

Dark mode, the text turns white and the screen back ground goes black... easier on the eyes when your reading in the dark at 2am

Posts 42
Paul Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2020 5:02 AM

I almost always use google to search for verses, from the partial phrase that I can remember... it is way faster and you can be a lot sloppier with what you input and still google will usually come back with the right chapter and verse citation

Page 22 of 38 (741 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS