Making Logos/Verbum 8 Faster - Brief Guide - 2019 Dec edition

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 629
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 1:21 PM

But where do I find the place to "Set Use Ngen to Yes"?

Posts 25367
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 2:25 PM

Type/paste (without quotes) into the GO/Command box

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 629
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 6:55 PM

Many thanks, Dave. (Inept me - I thought I'd tried that to no effect. But it's done nowBig Smile)

Posts 8148
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 10:42 PM

Doc B:
How would I use tags in other tools where collections show up as a search choice?

Most resource picker drop-downs have individual resources, then Collections, then Tags and Ratings, then Series. Anything you've tagged should automatically show up under "Tags and Ratings", and be findable by typing part of the tag name to filter down to that tag.

Can you give examples of where collections appear, but tags don't?

Doc B:
I suspect FL knows this, or they wouldn't have developed collections in the first place.

It was a design choice in Logos 4 that "auto collections" (i.e., tags and ratings) would show up wherever custom collections did. If they're not, I'd classify that as a bug.

Posts 1143
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 10:44 PM

Good advice, but it's sad that it's necessary. Logos should perform better off the shelf.

As one of the have-nots when it comes to SSDs, I don't mind some performance issues with Logos. I don't mind if startup is slow or that indexing takes time--I don't even mind searches being slow as I don't do all that many of them. I'm more bothered by seemingly simple tasks that should not require accessing a large number of files simultaneously or the index show considerable lag:

-I do mind that that it takes 30 seconds to switch from my layout to the homepage.

-I do mind that clicking on a resource shortcut takes several seconds to open the book. Even web pages load faster.

-I don't know why Logos should hang briefly with a Windows (not responding) error every time I change layouts.

-Drop-down boxes time to populate--oh dear. Really bad.

I don't think any of your tips will help with these except #1--and if a standard HDD is really getting challenged by them I doubt an SSD is being used optimally either.

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 8:22 AM

Sean:
Good advice, but it's sad that it's necessary. Logos should perform better off the shelf.

Sure. But it doesn't. So I created this thread to house a concise crowd-sourced guide to maximize the speed of Logos/Verbum.

In addition to item 1, items 2 and 7-9 in the list can help some users to some degree with one or more of the specific deficits you mentioned.

Posts 837
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 10:38 AM

If you have a lot of Notes (10,000 plus), use the Visual Filters icon (three bullets in a triangle) to turn off notes and highlights in all open Bibles except your preferred one. Also turn off notes (only, not highlights) in open commentaries. This saves a LOT of processing time when you scroll through resources that are linked together.

Posts 2489
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 6:06 PM

Doc B:

Are tags as useful or dynamic as collections? Not even close. How would I use tags in other tools where collections show up as a search choice? I suspect FL knows this, or they wouldn't have developed collections in the first place. Its usability simply can't be matched by tagging resources.

Someone needs to time the startup time when:

A) using a collection that is all complex rules [Expect to be slow]

B) using a collection that uses tags that were created from a collection using complex rules [will take time but should be quicker]

OR 

C) only creating this super complex collection for the rare sessions where you really need it.  [Time is real fast when you don't need this and very slow when you need it. [but you know why it is slow] ]  Then delete it until next it is needed instead of having the collection there just because you might need it in the study you are planning to do in six months.  [saving the definition in a text file or document outside of Logos] 

[[real dynamic collections: only active when needed - fully at your control]]  

There was talk of having 100 collections.  How many were used every day / week / month?

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 11:43 AM

David Ames:
Someone needs to time the startup time when:

B will be faster than A. Times will vary radically by device.

For speed, on any device where collections can or do cause difficulties, any highly complex collection that is going to be used for more than a couple searches should be built, immediately given a new MyTag, and promptly deleted, with the MyTag then used as needed in place of the Collection. This procedure will be faster than C. The only MyTag disadvantage is that Collections update automatically when new resources are added while MyTags are hand-curated by the user.

Posts 13383
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 10:49 PM

SineNomine:
For speed, on any device where collections can or do cause difficulties, any highly complex collection that is going to be used for more than a couple searches should be built, immediately given a new MyTag, and promptly deleted, with the MyTag then used as needed in place of the Collection. This procedure will be faster than C. The only MyTag disadvantage is that Collections update automatically when new resources are added while MyTags are hand-curated by the user.

This is only true for the old collection syntax. The new collection syntax is as quick as tags.

But even for the old collection syntax, the slow down is only on startup and when preparing your library. For me, the extra few seconds waiting is worth it for the convenience (although if I didn't have an SSD I might not think that).

Posts 2358
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 10:06 AM

It's not a common problem, but I have run into it several times. And it's not just Logos.

You are trying to update Logos and it's absolutely in the toilet as to updating. Maybe your Windows or Mac is trying to update at the same time. You can't win this battle. Let your machine update your OS. In fact, you should do this before looking to update any app. Go and check your App Store/Software Update/Update and Security to get your machine up to date before running Logos.

Updates to the OS are relatively frequent on Windows. Usually every month. So don't neglect this before running Logos.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 5:06 PM

Mark Barnes:
For me, the extra few seconds waiting is worth it for the convenience (although if I didn't have an SSD I might not think that).

If you have an SSD, then you probably don't need this guide, as obliquely indicated in Point 1.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS