What Are Your Biggest Problems and Pain Points?

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 788
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 12:22 PM

NB.Mick:

JRS:
When I use Movie Collector to organize and catalog our dvd collection, I scan the UPC code on any dvd and MC will then search any of several dvd databases (including their own) for the exact version I have, then, assuming it finds the correct dvd, it will place it into my collection.  In other words, I do not have to manually enter the data (except for truly obscure or long-forgotten movies).  Am I able to do the same/similar for books on my library shelf?

Yes you are - as long as the books have a UPC/ISBN barcode. The older books are, the less likely this is. I used Book Collector for a large library of German and English books of our family in the past and ended up providing much of the data by hand - the books being published mostly between the 1970s and the 2000s. It really was a lot of effort. 

Interesting.  Thnx.

Assuming Logos does develop a master or universal library, I expect (hope?) it would be integrated into Logos itself so that any references which are not in my Logos library would be hyper-linked to inform me that the resource (altho not in Logos) is to be found in such and such other library on my pc, or on my shelf, or wherever.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 2361
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 12:24 PM

Doc B:

My left knee.

Hmm

I feel your pain too.Hmm

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2361
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 12:44 PM

I relate to what Rosie said about getting books into Logos. Logos ought to be more proactive in getting new works into print, keen on the gems that need to be available in our libraries even if it means funding in advance, and just more agile about what makes Logos so great: LIBRARY.

I realize the work is huge and FL isn't Amazon. But it would be nice if you could get someone to facilitate the whole thing.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 14
Tim McMillian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 3:53 PM

1. As you mentioned, anything that can be done to help consolidate resources under a central platform would be helpful. I, and many of my colleagues, have mentioned having a number of notebooks of notes and pdf copies of journal articles that we would like to add to our Logos libraries but we lack an efficient way of doing so. If notes had the capability of handling jpg, pdf files it would be a step in the right direction. 

2. Build out Notes to include jpg, pdf, png, xls, .doc files.  Also, Logos Notes is currently running way too slow and often sticks. Improved functionality and speed would be helpful. Improved formatting would also be appreciated. 

3. Availability of resources in Logos. I am still finding many of the resources I'm interested in on Amazon, but not in Logos. I would much prefer to have these resources in my Logos library. I also find that some of these resources are locked away in large bundles that simply are not affordable to many consumers like myself. Logos has made great progress with this concern, but this remains a nagging problem. 

4. Improve the previews of the books for purchase. I find myself most of the time Going to Amazon to preview books prior to purchasing them on Logos. I have come to accept the fact that Logos has not listened to its customers past complaints about this matter, but I think it is sad that customers continue to invest thousands of dollars into a product and they can't even get a decent preview of the book they are buying. 

5. Improve the functionality of the Logos mobile app. This should probably be my number one concern since I deal with this problem every Sunday. The mobile app is slow, sticks and still lacks functionality. I cannot even scroll through my favorite Bible on it without having to wait for it to catch up, and it frequently crashes. I have the same problems whether on my local network or the church network. I'm tempted to bring my MacBook to church, but then I become a distraction for others and I don't want to do that. 

6. Please Please Please add page numbers to the eBooks we purchase from Vyrso/Faithlife. 

7. Lastly, please further develop Canva to incorporate the import of jpg, png, pdf photos and graphs. Also, improved formatting, more tools and stability would also be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Posts 3683
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 5:56 PM

Most of my real challenges are interpersonal & time related--not enough time for the people, who often represent interpersonal challenges. The only problem I have to which technology might help is related to book builder. 

I'd love to have a number of pdf files that I've saved available to Logos search. There's no easy way I'm aware of to import them. So, I end up using a very clunky windows search to find them.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 496
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 11:01 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I've given this some thought since I first read your post yesterday. I used to have quite a large collection of personal books that I would lend out to people with whom I was ministering. I would say "This is something you should read" and lend them a copy from my library. I knew that the chance of them ever purchasing it was low because many times the people I want to lend books to just don't have the money to purchase them. Since migrating 95% to Logos I can no longer do this which has been frustrating. Perhaps it is just a reality of our new world but not being able to lend my digital books is a pain and at times wish that I just had paper copies. 

I would love to be able to loan out Logos ebooks too. 

Posts 1938
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 11:39 AM

Tim McMillian:
6. Please Please Please add page numbers to the eBooks we purchase from Vyrso/Faithlife. 

YesYes

Why page numbers in an ebook you ask?  When I am in a discussion group and I want to reference a quote, I can't tell the rest of the group where to find the quote so that they can be refreshed as to its context.  Even kindle books allow me to refer to a "kindle location" so that others with that ebook can find where I am quoting.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 586
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:19 PM

Until recently, I would have said that I couldn't think of any, but now there is a major. As I have mention in other threads, the change in how things in Logos are copied into Word. It has gone from Times new roman to calibri, but not always and for all fonts. I wish Logos would allow you to copy into Word in the Same font that is shown on your Logos screen. Your major competitor does that, and it is very helpful especially for formal papers. I have found myself using the competitor more and more for that reason.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:22 PM

David Thomas:
When I am in a discussion group and I want to reference a quote, I can't tell the rest of the group where to find the quote so that they can be refreshed as to its context.  Even kindle books allow me to refer to a "kindle location" so that others with that ebook can find where I am quoting.

It came into my mind that some kind of sync function would be possible to implement in the group if all are connected to the local WLAN. Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2164
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 1:26 PM

I already have all my paper books entered in an Access database and most digital (non-Logos) in Calibre.  Imagine if those databases were accessible by Logos via SQL.

Posts 1938
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 4:58 AM

Veli Voipio:
It came into my mind that some kind of sync function would be possible to implement in the group if all are connected to the local WLAN. Cool

When 80% of the group are holding "dead tree", 15% are on Kindle, and I'm the only one using a Faithlife Ebook in my L8 software. WLAN is irrelevant Geeked I'm on the "outside looking in" because I bought a format without page numbers.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 812
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:46 AM

PL:

Bruce Dunning:
there is something not right when I have to go outside the program and use Google to find a verse I cannot remember because it's faster.

Bruce Dunning:
I must confess that I too have googled a theological topic even when Logos was open on my computer.

Same here, for both!!

I emphatically agree. As I posted numerous times here on the Forum: Usability of Logos (or lack thereof) is my main pain.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS