Walk me through the process of running Logos 4 (pc version) on my mac

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19
Michael Wilbanks | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:27 PM

I tried the alpha...but it is time to move on...i need ALL the functionality NOW.  So what is the cheapest way to run the pc version of logos4 on my mac.  I have a white macbook.  I do not have a parallel or fusion (and really dont know much about either) or a copy of windows.  Walk me through the most cost effective process please.  

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:27 PM

The cheapest way would be to get a copy of Windows (Xp works great) and install it on boot camp. The big downside to this is the need to close down and boot into Windows when you want to use Logos. I did use this method for a while but it was a pain.

The next best method would be to use purchase virtual machine type software such as Parallels or Fusion, install a copy of Windows. The big plus for this method is that the programme can be run while still in OS-X, similar to a normal Mac programme. The downside is that it is a resource hog and will slow your machine down, depending on your specs.

Posts 19
Michael Wilbanks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:30 PM

thanks man.  when you run xp on your mac like that, do you have to get antivirus and ad blocker and all that junk?

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:41 PM

You can also use a virtual environment from Sun Microsystems called VirtualBox (runs inside Mac OS X). It seems to be decent but is limited. The plus for it is that it is free. You can find all sorts of deals on the web for a discounted copy of Parallels of Fusion. I have driven both over a period of time with Logos 4 and find that the current version of Parallels is faster and more refined.

As for anti-virus; you are still running a Windows environment and are susceptible to such. Just don't access the internet (other than Logos) from the virtual machine and you should be fairly safe. The plus side of the virtual machine is that if you are infected it will not harm the Mac side, if you do not have them connected with shared folders, etc.

There is more to it, but that should get you started.

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 4:34 PM

I run VMware Fusion -- there is a network setting that keeps Windows XP from even accessing the internet, period -- you'll be completely disconnected in the windows enviroment. This is probably the case with Parallels and Virtualbox as well.

When I did run Logos on Windows XP via Fusion, I turned the internet on for updates and such, and then turned it off again. So no, you won't need antivirus, if you are careful.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 10850
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:36 PM

MichaelWilbanks:
when you run xp on your mac like that, do you have to get antivirus and ad blocker and all that junk?

I use Parallels 5 and made all internet connections through the Mac OS. The only thing that connected to the internet was Logos. However, every time I started XP, I had a warning that my system was unprotected. When I got tired of dismissing that warning, I discovered that Parallels has virus protection built in. I just had to activate it.

John Fidel posted some excellent pointers on setting up Parallels for best performance http://community.logos.com/forums/p/6461/50117.aspx#50117

I am sure that someone has posted similar advice for Fusion.

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:00 PM

I did a lot of research on both options of Vmware and Parallels.  I settled on Parallels.  I found an old copy of XP.  Setup was a breeze.  Pop in the disks and follow the directions.  I am not a tweeker, I just want it to run.  So, everything I am using is straight out of the box.  I have had no problems. It runs great on my 4 meg Macbook Pro.  Plus I can copy right from the windows Logos into my Mac programs.  Bootcamp is  a little limiting.  I must say that t am using the windows version less and less.  The Alpha is getter very good.  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:28 PM

Earlier this year, Oracle completed purchase of Sun.  On 7 June 2010, VirtualBox 3.2.4 update released.

Couple Oracle VirtualBox configuration tips also apply to Fusion and Parallels - disable hardware not needed: floppy controller, USB, serial ports along with installing drivers (improves performance).

Shared folders is optional.  Logos 4 for Windows needs Logos account - can download all resource files.

Logos 4 shipping release:  http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

Found link on Logos 4 Special FAQ page: http://www.logos.com/4/faq

Logos PC Beta forum has installer link: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8883.aspx

Currently use Virtual Machine to access Microsoft (Automatic Updates) and Logos.

Observation: VM Ware Fusion setups Mac printer for use in Virtual Machine - item missing from Virtual Box. For screen shots and feature comparison with Logos 4 Mac, VirtualBox performs nicely.

By the way, downloaded Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6 Beta 2 - used safe mode to install experimental 3d graphics support.

Note: not have hands-on experience with Parallels.  

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:07 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
used safe mode to install experimental 3d graphics support.

Living & Learning => VirtualBox 3.2.6 Beta 2 experimental 3d graphics causes .Net Runtime 2.0 error (event 5000) that crashes Logos 4.0d Beta 4 almost immediately.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS