Tech Question: SSD & USB3.0 to SATA cable

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:47 AM

So I am wanting to install a new SSD for my desktop... Can I use a USB3.0 to SATA Adapter cable to connect the SSD and then reinstall Logos onto the new drive?

The SSD is a Crucial BX500 2.5 SSD 480GB. The desktop is an Optiplex 990 small form. Windows 10.

Posts 915
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 10:54 AM

If you have an open SATA, you should install with that. Otherwise, the USB might work.

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 11:40 AM

Dale E Heath:

If you have an open SATA, you should install with that. Otherwise, the USB might work.

Forgive my tech ignorance, but is an "open SATA" the same as a standard SATA - a non-USB? 

Posts 25823
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 2:48 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
but is an "open SATA" the same as a standard SATA

Yes - but do you have a spare SATA  port? The specs for your computer suggest that the hardware is restricted to USB 2.0 and SATA 2  which will limit the speed of your SATA 3 SSD. So you are into a world of compromise, of which the USB 3 option would require a USB 3  PCIe card as well as the special cable.

Why have you not considered cloning the existing drive onto your SSD?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 915
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 2:56 PM

SATA is how data drives are normally connected. Most desktops will have 2 or 4 SATA ports, with # 1 being used by the hard drive. A DVD drive may use # 2 or USB. If # 2, # 3 or # 4 aren't being used, that's the way an additional drive would connect. Do a Google search on how do I attach an SSD to a desktop. There are several threads in the Logos Forum that discuss this topic.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ssd-install-1

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 12:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am now trying to clone the hard drive following the steps on Crucial, but I keep getting a message that the cloning has failed and to look at the log for more info. However, despite selecting help in the program (Acronis) and going online, I cannot figure out where to find the logs.

Despite the initial impression I got from Crucial that this shouldn't be too complicated, I am realising that I am probably not technically proficient enough to do it on my own. I probably need to take it to a professional and get it done properly.

Posts 25823
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 12:19 PM

There can be problems if the original drive is bigger than the SSD, so you need to delete files/folders to ensure the data will fit on the smaller drive. There could still be problems, though, so take it to a professional.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS