Suggestion: Change "Display" menu to "Interlinear" and "Interlinear" popup to "Interlinear Panel"

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:40 AM | Locked

The full-page Interlinear is so well integrated into L4 now and I'm guessing that for many people it's now the main form of interlinear that they use (can we have a poll here -- whoever is reading this?). The name of the "Display" menu is rather bland and confusing.  I think it's time the it be renamed what it really is -- "Interlinear" -- and make the popup text that comes up when you hover over the other Interlinear icon/button say "Interlinear Pane."

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 2:50 AM | Locked

Let's have a really good icon with similar popup text as we should minimise the amount of text  on the Toolbar. But I think it should be "Inline Interlinear" to avoid confusion with the current wording that applies to the panel (is it a pane or panel?).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:16 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Let's have a really good icon with similar popup text as we should minimise the amount of text  on the Toolbar. But I think it should be "Inline Interlinear" to avoid confusion with the current wording that applies to the panel (is it a pane or panel?).

Yes, that's a good idea.

I think a panel is a full-sized resource or tool window that has a tab on the top of it. (Sometimes the terminology tab and panel are used interchangeably.) There can be multiple panels overlying each other within a tile, with their tabs all showing at the top. But a a smaller window that takes up part of a panel (e.g., this kind of interlinear and the footnotes portion of the Favorites panel) needs to have another name. I've been calling it a pane, but I'm not sure what the official Logos term for it is.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:18 AM | Locked

It would also be useful to be able to control the interlinear from the pane menu. I work with 4 narrow columns on my screen. I cannot access the buttons at the top without floating the pane.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 6:47 AM | Locked

JonathanPitts:

It would also be useful to be able to control the interlinear from the pane menu. I work with 4 narrow columns on my screen. I cannot access the buttons at the top without floating the pane.

I highly recommend a second monitor, if you have room in your workspace.  It works extremely well with the multiple panes of Logos and/or a word processor.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:19 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

I assume you mean "Interlinear" for the menu text and "Inline Interlinear" for the tooltip text.  Right?  If so, I do like that.

Fred

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:22 AM | Locked

Jerry Mclean:

JonathanPitts:

I highly recommend a second monitor, if you have room in your workspace.  It works extremely well with the multiple panes of Logos and/or a word processor.

Gee, I have trouble balancing that second monitor on my lap when I'm using my laptop.  Big Smile

Fred

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:32 AM | Locked

Fred:
Gee, I have trouble balancing that second monitor on my lap when I'm using my laptop.  Big Smile

You wouldn't have that problem if you attended our church's potbless dinners!

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:36 AM | Locked

Jerry Mclean:

Fred:

You wouldn't have that problem if you attended our church's potbless dinners!

HAR !!!  Big Smile

Fred

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:12 PM | Locked

Fred:
I assume you mean "Interlinear" for the menu text and "Inline Interlinear" for the tooltip text.

I wasn't proposing anything specific for the menu text except that we don't overload the word "Interlinear".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:17 PM | Locked

JonathanPitts:

Thank you Logos for fixing this in the latest download.

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:36 PM | Locked

JonathanPitts:

JonathanPitts:

Thank you Logos for fixing this (or removing the need for my suggestion) in the latest download.

Cool! I hadn't noticed when this addition crept in:

Thanks, Logos! The more I can do from the keyboard the happier a camper I am.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:45 PM | Locked

Keyboard shortcut has actually always been there, but you had to look in the help file to find a list of shortcuts.

I like the way that the buttons as the top of the pane are now visible in my narrow columns, the reference box being made smaller when there are lots of icons to fit in.

Posts 5743
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 3:53 PM | Locked

Bumping this since the status quo remains on this suggestion.

Rosie Perera:

The full-page Interlinear is so well integrated into L4 now and I'm guessing that for many people it's now the main form of interlinear that they use (can we have a poll here -- whoever is reading this?).

Not sure what you mean by full page but I use the inline exlusively.  The new style interlinear is horrible.  The information is too far away from the text you are examining unless you have your bible set to 1/4 height.   Your eyes are going up and down like a yo-yo.  Bringing back the inline interlinear was one of my greatest moments of joy with Logos 4. 

Rosie Perera:

The name of the "Display" menu is rather bland and confusing.  I think it's time the it be renamed what it really is -- "Interlinear" -- and make the popup text that comes up when you hover over the other Interlinear icon/button say "Interlinear Pane."

Dave Hooton:

I agree for consistency an icon with popup text would be prefered option.  But at the very least change the text to 'Inline' rather than 'Display'.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:48 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

The full-page Interlinear is so well integrated into L4 now and I'm guessing that for many people it's now the main form of interlinear that they use (can we have a poll here -- whoever is reading this?). The name of the "Display" menu is rather bland and confusing.  I think it's time the it be renamed what it really is -- "Interlinear" -- and make the popup text that comes up when you hover over the other Interlinear icon/button say "Interlinear Pane."

I think they should totally eliminate the interlinear option.  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 32471
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 7:32 PM | Locked

Andrew McKenzie:
The new style interlinear is horrible.  The information is too far away

That is precisely why I like it - I'm not tempted to use it in lieu of the original text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5743
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:23 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Andrew McKenzie:
The new style interlinear is horrible.  The information is too far away

That is precisely why I like it - I'm not tempted to use it in lieu of the original text.

Cool  When I do use it, I only have the original text line showing to get me thinking of the underlying vocab when I'm working from English.

I think its a shame that Logos no longer has the BHS and NA27 available without morphological tagging.

Posts 5743
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:25 PM | Locked

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

I think they should totally eliminate the interlinear option.  Smile

For George can we have a special build with the a skull and cross bone for the image and 'disregard' as the pop-up text Wink

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:28 PM | Locked

Andrew McKenzie:
I think its a shame that Logos no longer has the BHS and NA27 available without morphological tagging.

Can't you just completely ignore any features that show the morphology, and use BHS and NA27 as if they had no morphological tagging? What difference does having the tagging in there internally make to your experience of the product?

Posts 32471
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:29 PM | Locked

Andrew McKenzie:
For George can we have a special build with the a skull and cross bone for the image and 'disregard' as the pop-up text

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS