Read the Church Fathers Schaff edition in 7 pages a day for 7 years

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 3 2020 2:18 AM

See http://readthefathers.org/calendar/ for the program.

I'm building it as a Reading Plan ... using highest priority edition rather than Schaff where practical... yes, we should have started on the first Sunday of Advent ... but one can take their time catching up. It is currently built through February so that I could get started (and allow others to get started) ASAP. I will be updating it over the next week or so to get at least the first year loaded. I will be doing some editing to get more of the references independent of any specific edition.

Please report anything that is not working

Read the Fathers Reading Plan 2019-2026

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 74
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2020 4:18 AM

Thanks MJ—getting started today.

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 291
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2020 7:33 AM

Thanks MJ

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2020 5:36 PM

Thank you! Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2020 2:29 AM

I have started as a bit of an experiment a Reading List "Read the Fathers Reading Plan Supplement 2019-2026" to provide short contemporary introductions to the readings and authors. My original plan for entries was:

• Factbook on the work
  • Factbook on the author (once)
  • Author: A Guide to His Life and Writing (once) - a FL built resource
  • Entry in Early Christian Writings web site - not as helpful as I had remembered
  • Entry in the Tertullian Project web site - introduction to the specific works
  • Work and/or author in Wikipedia because I found too many holes in the above
  • Any FL resource that I want to highlight - usually will also appear in Factbook

The Tertullian site is providing exactly what I wanted as an introduction to the text ... I have to find more similar sites. The intent is not that one use any of the resources listed on a regular basis. Rather, it is to provide some context and guidance when you find a particular author or work tough sledding. Each author/work gets an entry even though many of them are empty.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1029
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2020 3:33 AM

This is brilliant, MJ. Thank you!

Posts 1243
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2020 6:32 AM

Love the supplemental reading list! Thank you MJ!

Posts 204
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 3:11 AM

I am struggling to figure out a way to import this into my Logos/Verbum and be able to have a card show up on my Dashboard. Any tips?

Posts 1243
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 8:01 AM

Martin Hall:

I am struggling to figure out a way to import this into my Logos/Verbum and be able to have a card show up on my Dashboard. Any tips?

Martin, go to tools > reading lists. Then you can search for it in the search menu within the reading list tool. You can also probably scroll down the list of recent reading lists.

Posts 960
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 10:26 AM

I’ve been reading it since 2007 (including the physical version) beginning with ANF 1. More than 6 pages a day. I’m only on NPNF series 2 vol. 3

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS