Wipf and Stock Recommendations for me?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 15 2020 10:24 AM

Please note, this thread contains content NOT suitable for kids. It’s directed toward pastors and ministers.
I’m writing this as an email, but I’ll probably post it on the Logos forum because It might help to get well read folks there to help me.

I’m looking at a few things because I have some bucks to spend and the wipf and stock sale is screaming BUY ME.
For one, I’m looking to refute an unusual argument being used for homosexual affirmation. Now I am a firm believer in opening our tents and extending the olive branch. I don’t want to get into a soteriological debate. But suffice to say I’m very moderate. I’m looking to refute the idea that arsenokoitai refers specifically to anal intercourse, and thus does not mean a ban on practicing homosexual sexual relations. The argument here is that monogamous homosexuals can engage in said behavior as long as it’s not the type of action previously stated. This is a technicality argument and I’m certain it’s wrong based on context and almost certain it’s wrong definition-wise.
The second thing I’m looking for is commentaries or works which show how the beginning of Mark and Mathew have trinitarian formulas at the baptism of Jesus. I could not find this in the NCCS commentary on Mark. I requested a cancellation and refund of it because I couldn’t get enough of a preview to determine whether it would be something I could use to cite.
Final question. What about Hermeneutics, Authority, and Canon edited by DA Carson? Does it have any new perspectives on canonicity?

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 2:39 AM

Chrisser:

Please note, this thread contains content NOT suitable for kids. It’s directed toward pastors and ministers.
I’m writing this as an email, but I’ll probably post it on the Logos forum because It might help to get well read folks there to help me.

I’m looking at a few things because I have some bucks to spend and the wipf and stock sale is screaming BUY ME.
For one, I’m looking to refute an unusual argument being used for homosexual affirmation. Now I am a firm believer in opening our tents and extending the olive branch. I don’t want to get into a soteriological debate. But suffice to say I’m very moderate. I’m looking to refute the idea that arsenokoitai refers specifically to anal intercourse, and thus does not mean a ban on practicing homosexual sexual relations. The argument here is that monogamous homosexuals can engage in said behavior as long as it’s not the type of action previously stated. This is a technicality argument and I’m certain it’s wrong based on context and almost certain it’s wrong definition-wise.
The second thing I’m looking for is commentaries or works which show how the beginning of Mark and Mathew have trinitarian formulas at the baptism of Jesus. I could not find this in the NCCS commentary on Mark. I requested a cancellation and refund of it because I couldn’t get enough of a preview to determine whether it would be something I could use to cite.
Final question. What about Hermeneutics, Authority, and Canon edited by DA Carson? Does it have any new perspectives on canonicity?

Hi Chrisser - There’s such a variety of books available in the publisher’s spotlight sale for “Wipf & Stock” that focusing down on your own interests may help you to select what to buy.  But I’m guessing that you may be interested in strong ethical issues so here’s a number that are useful:

On the specific interpretative question you raised, there are a few resources on homosexuality on the Logos site – see the following link -  https://www.logos.com/search?query=Homosexuality&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all

It’s not a topic I have many resources on, but this one has a discussion on the meaning of  Arsenokoitai in 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy as well considering the context of its use and modern views:  James B. De Young, Homosexuality: Contemporary Claims Examined in Light of the Bible and Other Ancient Literature and Law (Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 2000).

It may be found at: https://www.logos.com/product/47062/homosexuality-contemporary-claims-examined-in-light-of-the-bible-and-other-ancient-literature-and-law.

The contents page shows the following –

Preface

Introduction: Why Is Homosexuality Wrong?

Abbreviations

Part 1: Old Testament Literature and Its Setting

1.     The Witness of the Old Testament and Ancient Judaism to Homosexuality

Excursus 1: The Relationship of Toʿeba to Bdelygma and Anomia

2.     The Witness of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha to Homosexuality

3.     The Septuagint’s Witness Against Homosexuality

Part 2: New Testament Literature and Its Setting

4.     Homosexuality as “Against Nature” in Romans 1

Excursus 2: Critique of the Moral Argument for Homosexuality

5.     The Meaning and Origin of Arsenokoitai in 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy

Excursus 3: Homosexual Behavior and Discussion in Plato

6.     Implicit References to Homosexuality as Found in Jesus and the New Testament

Part 3: Law, Morality, and Homosexual Behavior

7.     Legislative Precedents from the Ancient World

Excursus 4: Ancient Voices of Judgment, Statute, and Opinion on Homosexuality

8.     Answers to the Twenty Most Important Questions About Homosexuality

Select Bibliography of Works Discussed in This Volume

Scripture and Ancient Literature Index

Subject Index

Tables

1.     Summary of Vices in Leviticus 18, 20

2.     Texts and Terms Related to Homosexuality in the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha

3.     Terms Most Frequently Used in New Testament Vice Texts

There's also a short discussion on the meaning of the term in  a journal article - Schreiner, Thomas R. “A New Testament Perspective on Homosexuality.” Themelios 31, no. 3 (2006) page 70+. Forgive me for not including the text from the cited resources, but I don't wish to offend people who may read it. I’m sure others would be able to recommend different resources too.

Leaving aside resources on ethical questions, I was pleased to see that the sale included much by Meredith Kline which I would certainly have bought up if I didn’t already have much of what was there. The author’s Kingdom Prologue” - https://www.logos.com/product/52795/kingdom-prologue-genesis-foundations-for-a-covenantal-worldview is well worth reading.  By contrast, though I find T.F. Torrence a little stodgy, his book “The Doctrine of Grace in the Apostolic Fathers” is worth every penny. It all depends on where your own personal interests rest.  

Good luck with the sale!  Keep well Paul

Posts 627
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 3:57 AM

Hello, Chrisser!

As Paul mentioned above, I found Homosexuality: Contemporary Claims Examined in Light of the Bible and Other Ancient Literature and Law to be a very well presented and scholarly approach to the subject with a good bibliography if you care to further your reading, as well as a scripture/ancient literature index. It contains approximately 140 references to your search term.

As for the Trinity, I believe a more fruitful place to begin with that inquiry is in your Bible dictionaries and encyclopedias, not your commentaries – though some may devote a small amount of space to the subject. Many, such as the Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible, have great discussions and bibliographies attached to advance your study.

Of course, these aren’t part of the sale and the mentioned dictionary doesn’t come cheap.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 6:54 AM

Alright thanks for the suggestions. Anything expensive will have to wait.

Posts 1932
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 7:05 AM

Chrisser:
or one, I’m looking to refute an unusual argument

I can't help with the W&S recommendations. Do you have BDAG? As THE definitive lexicon on the language of the New Testament, it does not restrict the definition of the word in question to only one particular behavior. Rather than accepting that the word has a narrow meaning, I would require the opposing party to justify the (unnecessarily) narrow definition.

ἀρσενοκοίτης, ου, ὁ (ἄρσην ‘male’ + κοίτη ‘bed’; Bardesanes 719 Fgm. 3b 10, 25 p. 653 Jac. [in Eus., PE 6, 10, 25]; Anth. Pal. 9, 686, 5 and Cat. Cod. Astr. VIII/4 p. 196, 6 and 8 have the sp. ἀρρενοκοίτης; Theoph. Ant. 1, 2 [p. 60, 27]; in a vice list—ἀρσενοκοιτεῖν SibOr 2, 73; AcJ 36 [Aa II/1, 169]; cp. the association of ἄρσην and κοίτη Lev 20:13, s. Soph. Lex.: ἀ.= ὁ μετὰ ἄρσενος κοιμώμενος κοίτην γυναικείαν=‘one who has intercourse w. a man as w. a woman’; cp. the formation of μητροκοίτης [μήτηρ + κοίτη] ‘one who has intercourse w. his mother’ Hipponax 15, 2 Diehl3 [=Degani 20, 2]) a male who engages in sexual activity w. a pers. of his own sex, pederast 1 Cor 6:9 (on the impropriety of RSV’s ‘homosexuals’ [altered to ‘sodomites’ NRSV] s. WPetersen, VigChr 40, ’86, 187–91; cp. DWright, ibid. 41, ’87, 396–98; REB’s rendering of μαλακοὶ οὔτε ἀρσενοκοῖται w. the single term ‘sexual pervert’ is lexically unacceptable), of one who assumes the dominant role in same-sex activity, opp. μαλακός (difft. DMartin, in Biblical Ethics and Homosexuality, ed. RBrawley, ’96, 117–36); 1 Ti 1:10; Pol 5:3. Cp. Ro 1:27. Romans forbade pederasty w. free boys in the Lex Scantinia, pre-Cicero (JBremmer, Arethusa 13, ’80, 288 and notes); Paul’s strictures against same-sex activity cannot be satisfactorily explained on the basis of alleged temple prostitution (on its rarity, but w. some evidence concerning women used for sacred prostitution at Corinth s. LWoodbury, TAPA 108, ’78, 290f, esp. note 18 [lit.]), or limited to contract w. boys for homoerotic service (s. Wright, VigChr 38, ’84, 125–53). For condemnation of the practice in the Euphrates region s. the ref. to Bardesanes above.—RBurton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, 1934, vol. 6, 3748–82, lit. reff. and anthropological data relating to a variety of Mediterranean cultures; DBailey, Homosexuality and the Western Christian Tradition, ’55; KDover, Greek Homosexuality ’78; RScroggs, The NT and Homosexuality ’83; JBoswell, Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality ’80; JBremmer, Greek Pederasty, in JBremmer, ed. From Sappho to de Sade2 ’91, 1–14; ECantarella, Bisexuality in the Ancient World ’92.—Pauly-W. 8, 1333f; 1459–68. DELG s.v. ἄρσην. M-M. William Arndt, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 135.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 17 2020 2:08 PM

I just checked. I don't unfortunately.

Thanks. I'm going to copy this into notes.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS