Volume missing from commentary!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 12 2020 3:54 AM

Just noticed that the Logos version of William Gouge's 'Commentary on the Whole Epistle to the Hebrews' doesn't actually cover the 'whole epistle' as it only has 2 of the 3 volumes and stops at chapter 10!

The commentary has always been a 3-volume set, both when originally published and when republished by Kregel in the 1980s.

The 2 volumes have been on Logos for years, can't believe no-one has noticed this before! Can we get the 3rd volume added to the set please?

Posts 381
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 7:29 AM

Would FL furnish the last volume? Thank you. 

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 462
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 7:56 PM

I agree. Yes  Keep well Paul

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 10:35 PM

Thanks for pointing it out, Stephen - any news FL?

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 165
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 10:19 AM

Stephen Steele:

Just noticed that the Logos version of William Gouge's 'Commentary on the Whole Epistle to the Hebrews' doesn't actually cover the 'whole epistle' as it only has 2 of the 3 volumes and stops at chapter 10!

The commentary has always been a 3-volume set, both when originally published and when republished by Kregel in the 1980s.

The 2 volumes have been on Logos for years, can't believe no-one has noticed this before! Can we get the 3rd volume added to the set please?

Thanks for your interest Stephen, I will look into getting the third volume.

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2021 9:43 AM

Almost a year on...any update on this?

Posts 8007
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2021 2:47 PM

Stephen Steele:

Almost a year on...any update on this?

Wow! I’m more astounded at the fact that it’s been a full year already! Time definitely flew by 😱

DAL

Posts 696
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2021 3:54 PM

Looking forward to an update on this.

Posts 4472
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2021 4:08 PM

Also looking forward to updates on this

Posts 381
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2021 5:16 AM

I hope FL will see to this.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 111
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2021 6:47 AM

I'm a little disturbed that after being noted a year ago, the product page does not give any hints that the resource is incomplete unless you read the description on volume 2. That is a bad look. 

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 5:25 AM

Justin Gatlin:

I'm a little disturbed that after being noted a year ago, the product page does not give any hints that the resource is incomplete unless you read the description on volume 2. That is a bad look. 

Yes, and even then it's not explicitly stated.

Can we get an update on this FL? It's now been over a year since it was pointed out.

Posts 1456
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 5:03 AM

Stephen Steele:

Can we get the 3rd volume added to the set please?

It is currently gathering interest: https://www.logos.com/product/205526/a-commentary-on-the-whole-epistle-to-the-hebrews 

My dynamic price for the three volume set is $5.50.

Posts 4472
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 5:40 AM

Not trying to cause problems but shouldn’t this be included to the people who owned the original? It originally stated it was the whole product (I could be wrong) but now it just says volumes 1 and 2. I now have to purchase volume 3??

Edit: I was wrong on this; see below later comment. My apologies

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 7:06 AM

Mattillo:

Not trying to cause problems but shouldn’t this be included to the people who owned the original? It originally stated it was the whole product (I could be wrong) but now it just says volumes 1 and 2. I now have to purchase volume 3??

Agree - especially since the product is entitled 'A commentary on the whole epistle to the Hebrews'.

Therefore I trust the third volume will be produced and that the project won't stall at the 'Gathering Interest' phase if enough people don't pre-order it.

Posts 2478
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 9:26 AM

It looks like the books were originally titled by the publisher as "A Commentary on the Whole Epistles of Hebrews."  Logos simply listed the volumes as they were titled and only carried 2 out of 3 volumes.  Although the product description does indicate that the first two volumes only covered the first 10 chapters of Hebrews, the title is definitely confusing.  If Logos decides to give me volume three I won't complain.  Big Smile  

Posts 8007
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 11:04 AM

Not that I need the last volume, but for $5 bucks, I’ll take it 👍😁👌

Posts 1131
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 11:43 AM

I (and many others I assume) got vols1-2 as part of https://www.logos.com/product/18509/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-hebrews It was not included in this collection from the get-go for whatever reason. Perhaps they overlooked it. Perhaps they didn't have a copy available.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120621001205/https://www.logos.com/product/18509/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-hebrews

Posts 4472
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 12:03 PM

Mattillo:

I went through the internet archives and they advertised it as two volumes and never as a complete set. My original comment is in error. I'm in for volume 3!

The description explained: 

"Based upon a career of preaching and teaching, William Gouge—chair of the Westminster Assembly—wrote A Commentary on the Whole Epistle to the Hebrews (2 vols.). This classic work is a comprehensive exposition on the authorship, composition, practical application of doctrine, and scope of the book of Hebrews. This work includes over 700 pages of verse-by-verse analysis of Scripture. The first volume covers chapters one through five in extensive detail with regard for semantic and intended interpretation. Volume two examines chapters six through 10 with the same scholarly eye and logical sense that Gouge applied to his preaching. Published posthumously, this commentary was the culmination of a life spent studying the Scriptures and serving the church, and it remains a profitable tool for Christians today."

Posts 2478
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 6:34 PM

I haven't used the commentaries yet.  Does anyone have any thoughts on them?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS