Make Logos run fast on a tablet with an external M.2 NVMe SSD

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 13 2020 8:22 PM

Logos is typically almost unusable on average tablets with weak mobile CPUs. An external SSD can make a huge difference.

1. Purchase a metal enclosure for M.2 NVMe SSDs, with a USB-C port. I bought the ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix Arion.

2. Install an M.2 NVMe SSD. I threw in a 2TB Intel 660P, which has on-paper read/write speeds of 1,800 MB/s.

3. Connect it to your tablet. I used my Chuwei UBook, a neat little 12" tablet with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.

4. Install Logos directly onto the external SSD. To save a horrific download time, I had already transferred all my resources onto the 660P.

I was not prepared for how fast this thing is. The massive transfer speed of the 660P totally overcomes the UBook's little mobile CPU, and the UBook's 8GB of RAM is easily enough to handle Logos' memory demands.I am running my standard Logos layout with 10 windows, and search speeds are fantastic.

I then added an external 12" 4K portable monitor, just for Logos.

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 4:20 AM

Its a great idea!  Keep well Paul  

Posts 9215
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 4:22 AM

Wow, that's a fast setup now. Portability is another matter. Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 16 2020 5:34 PM

The portability is great. I took this with me on a recent trip overseas, and it was just fantastic to have my complete Logos library at my fingertips, running at a very good speed.

Posts 9215
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2020 5:08 AM

Jonathan Burke:

The portability is great. I took this with me on a recent trip overseas, and it was just fantastic to have my complete Logos library at my fingertips, running at a very good speed.

Did you take both laptops with you?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 7:47 PM

I didn't take any laptops. One of the devices in that photo is a Chuwei UBook, a 12" tablet with a removable keyboard. The other device is a CForce CF012s portable 12" 4K LCD screen.

Posts 9215
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 4:48 AM

Jonathan Burke:

I didn't take any laptops. One of the devices in that photo is a Chuwei UBook, a 12" tablet with a removable keyboard. The other device is a CForce CF012s portable 12" 4K LCD screen.

Ah, now I understand. It certainly is a cool setup.

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:10 PM

It packs down very neatly into the laptop sleeve of my carry-on bag.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS