Top Commentary Tab

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 17 2020 11:45 AM

I really like how Logos links a commentary to a bible and then flip through the other volumes of that commentary as you move through the bible.  What I'd love to see, and maybe I just don't know how to do it, is a top commentary tab I could open that would seamlessly flow from one commentary set to another based on the ranking of the commentary.

IE: assuming I modeled my set off of bestcommentaries.com/topcommentaries/ , I would have have one tab synced with my bible, that would seamlessly transitions from WBC in genesis to NAC in Exodus to NICOT for Leviticus and TOTC for Numbers, etc.

Posts 9276
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2020 2:03 PM

To do this you need to create a custom series. Select a series name that is not already being used and in Library select the resource you want to add, open the information panel, scroll down to Series and either Set Series or change the existing assigned series to the one you‘ve chosen.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 198
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2020 2:48 PM

Mark Smith:

To do this you need to create a custom series. Select a series name that is not already being used and in Library select the resource you want to add, open the information panel, scroll down to Series and either Set Series or change the existing assigned series to the one you‘ve chosen.

Since a resource can only be assigned to one series at a time, do you find it best to organize your commentaries this way or using a different method?  I have also purchased my commentaries over the years according BestCommentaries.com.  My current method is a little cumbersome.  If I'm studying a particular book, I'll look up on BestCommentaries.com what the highest ranked ones are and see which ones I own and open them in order of highest to lowest until I have about 3-5 open.  

I have all the top commentaries in a "best commentaries" collection, but I'm not sure how to make the best use of the collection to speed up this process.

I could create some new series as you suggested, but then it would lose its linking to the overall set which would create other problems.

Posts 9276
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2020 3:07 PM

Michael:
Since a resource can only be assigned to one series at a time, do you find it best to organize your commentaries this way or using a different method? 

I don't use the custom series for the reason you stated. I do something like you. I have a "Commentaries, Recommended" collection with top commentaries in it. I actually rank them using the star ranking option on the Library Information panel using just 4 and 5 stars. Thus I can keep just 4-5 resources at most with the very top ranking. I sort them by ranking when looking for some commentaries on a particular book of the Bible, and then multiple select the commentaries I want, right click and choose Open.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS