Resources on Physical Fitness / Martial Skill within Christianity, Ancient Judaism, and Scripture?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 18 2020 9:04 AM

I'm looking for both Scriptural (including deuterocanon / Orthodox/ Catholic/ Eastern Churches (Definitely Ethiopian!), not Just Protestant but please do include Protestant, and historical, information of physical fitness and martial skill directly from scripture but also withing Christian history and the history of Judaism prior to, and during the 2nd Temple period. (Rabbinic stuff might be interesting too but atm I'm more concerned with this focus. This includes Christians and Christianity up till the present, but ancient is STRONGLY preferred.

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:49 AM

For multiple reasons this is an important topic for me and my group. if anyone could comment or has anything to point me in the right direction. please let me know I would be grateful.

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 11:26 AM

Well, I guess you aren’t looking for 1 Tim 4:8! Where ESV sees ‘some’ value, NABRE declines it.

But the quickest door to the subject is ‘gymnasium’, especially the Maccabee’s issues.

Added:

From Nag Hammadi, Treatise on the Resurrection, the author echos 1 Tim .... given that you're to be resurrected (logically already), why do you exercize? Hmmm ... excellent point.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 326
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:02 PM

I'm curious about the topic in general. I've lost weight but have not yet committed to an exercise regime. I believe exercise is honoring the our bodies as Temples to keep them in good condition to spread the Gospel in good health.

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 3:14 PM

I once found this in a used bookstore...

But in all seriousness, good luck with your search!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS