Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 48 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 253
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 5:26 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
It is unlikely that a Pentecostal could hold to the Westminster Confession

And yet for me it remains a great resource that personally I will happily reference and engage with where I have drawn a different conclusion. 

Kendall Sholtess:
Pentecostalism is Arminian (Wesleyan style)

And of course Wesley emerged from the Anglican tradition where many would agree that some aspects of his theology would have been considered Anglo-Catholic. Ultimately what we learn (I think) is that collections will always have some tension if they want to represent the breadth of the label they are linked to. As a generalisation Charismatics tend to be Calvinistic.

BTW when I upgrade I look at the Methodist packages before looking at the Pentecostal and Charismatic ones.

Kendall Sholtess:
A Pentecostal base package should be...

At a high level, I would agree but I'm not sure that this would sell to a Pentecostal audience and attract more Pentecostal resources. The challenge I see, and this is not just a Pentecostal problem, is that most people want resources that affirm where they are rather than ones that represent the journey and help them understand the choices that got them where they are. 

Posts 253
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 5:29 AM

Friedrich:
Yeah, in my neck of the woods there is that tension between scholarly and practical. 

Too often I see that tension manifest as scholarly versus spiritual as if education somehow presents someone from having spiritual insight.

Posts 3884
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:31 AM

Graham Owen:

Friedrich:
Yeah, in my neck of the woods there is that tension between scholarly and practical. 

Too often I see that tension manifest as scholarly versus spiritual as if education somehow presents someone from having spiritual insight.

No, I think you are right, that's definitely another way it is cast. And, like most things, there can be some truth in that. But it's certainly not axiomatic that someone who is not academic is more spiritual. Big Smile 

I like (to bring this more into line with forum guidelines Stick out tongue) that Logos does a great job in promoting the academic AS a spiritual enterprise...

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3884
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:39 AM

Graham Owen:
BTW when I upgrade I look at the Methodist packages before looking at the Pentecostal and Charismatic ones.

I was hoping for my works by Fee and similar in the PC packages. My guess is it is related to the strong, unbending arm of Baker Books. I also noticed this time around the Priscilla papers were in the MW collection, whereas last time they were PC. 

Posts 195
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 9:19 AM

Well, thankfully I have not been able to join an opinion group. I live in a place where I bump elbows with people from 80+ different countries and have had professors from most streams of Christianity. Personally I hold to a Calvinist soteriology. Oops, I revealed my hand. Oh, well. But my suggestion to split them was based on my understanding of the history and development of the groups. I thought that it would be good to promote the splittage because it might make more people happy. But I often underestimate the variety of opinions that there are on these issues. My heart is warmed by the friendship we have here as brothers, sisters and Logos users. We belong to a special club, especially of like us, we have spent upwards of $20,000 on Bible software (facepalm).  God bless and have a great day!

Posts 3884
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 9:39 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
I live in a place where I bump elbows with people from 80+ different countries

that's cool. where?

I grew up in Germany (not native...as mk). That experience taught me more openness and humility when it came to communing outside my heritage's confines. ministering much later, in a school with large Ethiopian/Eritrean pop., then in Miami, and also near Detroit furthered both cultural and religious connections and awareness.  Always a maddening, refining and enriching process.

Posts 195
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 5:01 PM

Friedrich:

Kendall Sholtess:
I live in a place where I bump elbows with people from 80+ different countries

that's cool. where?

I grew up in Germany (not native...as mk). That experience taught me more openness and humility when it came to communing outside my heritage's confines. ministering much later, in a school with large Ethiopian/Eritrean pop., then in Miami, and also near Detroit furthered both cultural and religious connections and awareness.  Always a maddening, refining and enriching process.

I have lived in China for 18 years. The church I go to here is very diverse, both ethnically as well as tradition-wise.

Posts 3884
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:05 PM

Kendall Sholtess:
I have lived in China for 18 years.

Whoa! what an experience that has to have been!  I've never been to a culture like that. 

Posts 253
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 4:05 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
My heart is warmed by the friendship we have here as brothers, sisters and Logos users.

Yes

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS