Preaching the Word Upgrade

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:33 AM

I noticed the Preaching the Word upgrade (2 books) on Prepub, and I was looking at my library. There are 19 books currently in the library

http://www.logos.com/products/details/2912

but I noticed I only have 15 - I do not have Acts, Romans, Ephesians, and Colossians + Philemon.  I find this odd as that is not a product Logos sells, they only sold the 19 or a 12 volume upgrade.

Why am I missing these 4, are you missing them also?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:12 AM

Dominick Sela:

I noticed the Preaching the Word upgrade (2 books) on Prepub, and I was looking at my library. There are 19 books currently in the library

but I noticed I only have 15 - I do not have Acts, Romans, Ephesians, and Colossians + Philemon.  I find this odd as that is not a product Logos sells, they only sold the 19 or a 12 volume upgrade.

Dominic, I opened my library and typed title:"preaching the word" and got 19 titles. Can you check your Libronix library to see if they are there? Maybe they didn't get copied for some reason. Also check your "hidden resources" just in case (happened to someone else recently).

Back in 2005 Logos was selling a 7 volume preaching the word collection, In the picture your missing volumes are all there, along with Mark, James and Hebrews (Logos NewsWire Christmas Specials 12/12/2005 - I don't delete email anymore, gimme a break). Is it possible, that in transferring to a new computer between 2005 and 2010, a CD got missed? I know that doesn't explain the other three you have from that collection, but it could happen, theoretically, I think (maybe).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:28 AM

Yes, I am missing the same ones you are. I see that the missing volumes are available for individual purchase. I also see that the series is not part of any base package.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:25 AM

I checked in my Logos 3, the resources are there (I download all from the ftp server) but the 4 massing ones are locked in Logos 3. I went through my account summary and searched for Preaching the Word and Kent Hughes, nothing is there. I don't know how I got it, but the 4 resources are missing.

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:30 AM

Dominick Sela:

Dominick

I purchased the four you are missing in January of this year, but I don't know when I acquired the other fifteen. Perhaps those volumes were included in one of the Christmas specials.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:46 PM

Sorry I did not see your post earlier today.  I posted this evening that I am missing three of the same volumes.  I have Romans.  My licenses for the other in Logos 3 show that they were on the Library Builder Combo 4-6 which was offered one Christmas.  I bought the Library Builder Combo 1-3 the year before.  I don't know why there are inconsistancies in the licensing, because Logos doesn't sell a 16 or 15 volume package.

Any response from Logos would be appreciated.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:58 PM

I think I have found the problem (or really the reason for the questions by anyone who bought the Library Builder Combo 4-6 Christmas Special).  Only 15 of these books were included.  See the link below from an older blog post:

http://seminarian.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/libronix-library-builder-christmas-special-contents-announced/

I briefly scanned these titles and counted only 15 of the Preaching the Word by R. Kent Hughes listed.

I guess I have to purchase the others individually.

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:58 PM

It could be that the series used to contain only 15 volumes and the other four were released individually instead of as an upgrade bundle. The original set could have been changed to include all 19 (and the price raised), but anyone who had bought it before those extra volumes were added would have had to buy them at the full sale price. This is just speculation on my part, and doesn't actually jive with the info Richard discovered about a smaller set from this series being available in 2005 with all four of those missing volumes. I have all 19, but I didn't buy this set until December 2009, when it was already 19 volumes. You can probably get a deal on all four of the volumes you're missing if you call Logos and talk to a Sales Rep. If you can figure out what you paid for the 15 volumes (they probably have that on record somewhere) and point out to them that the whole 19 volume series is now selling for $359.95, they might offer you the missing four volumes for the difference between what you paid and that. Or sometimes how they'll do something like this (if it wasn't too too long ago that you bought them) is give you a refund on the original 15 volume set and then have you buy the 19 volume set instead (and they might even give you a better deal on it than what is advertised on the web).

EDIT: I just saw Mark Watson's post on this other thread, which explains where your 15 volumes probably came from. EDIT AGAIN: I just realized Mark posted the same info here on this thread at the same time I was posting mine.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:04 PM

Dominick,

I have the same missing 4.  See post above.  I got the license for the Romans volume from an ESV Sampler Disc that was handed out during a Logos 3 Training Camp by Morris Proctor or at a sales presentation for Logos 3 at a local church when the Logos Bible Study Bus came through.

Hope this information helps.

I would like for Logos to offer an upgrade package deal on the four licenses that you are missing, instead of having to purchase them individually.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:12 PM

Rosie,

Is there a way in L4 to show the information from a resource like in L3?  This is how I found out where I acquired the licenses for the R. Kent Hughes' books? 

I looked in the "about this resource" after right clicking on a book in My Library and looked at the following section:
Included In Expiration Date
Library Builder Combo 2007: Volumes 4-6 (none)
Resource Licenses
Included InExpiration Date
Library Builder Combo 2007: Volumes 4-6(none) I still check for differences between my L4 and L3 sometimes when I think I am missing a resource.
Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:51 PM

Mark Watson:
Is there a way in L4 to show the information from a resource like in L3?

Since Logos 4 doesn't use the same "sync licenses" technology that L3 used, no, there is no way to see all your licenses and when you aquired them in L4. You'd have to contact Customer Service, and they can email you that info. The only info you can get in L4 about a resource (by looking in the Information panel of a resource: click the 'i' icon in the open resource window) is the Support Info (down at the bottom of the Info pane; you might need to scroll to see it), e.g.:

LLS:42.20.7  (resource ID)
2006-03-23T22:23:30Z  (release date and version number)
cwfs.lbxlls  (filename)

You can also go to your "Order History" tab on your My Account page on Logos.com. This will show you the date when you purchased every bundle or individual resource. It won't, however, tell you what individual titles were included at that time in the bundle. The link from there might point to a product description page that doesn't exist anymore, or it might point to a newer version of that bundle that contains more books than when you bought it.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 4:01 AM

Mark Watson:

I think I have found the problem (or really the reason for the questions by anyone who bought the Library Builder Combo 4-6 Christmas Special).  Only 15 of these books were included.  See the link below from an older blog post:

http://seminarian.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/libronix-library-builder-christmas-special-contents-announced/

I briefly scanned these titles and counted only 15 of the Preaching the Word by R. Kent Hughes listed.

I guess I have to purchase the others individually.

Mark you win the prize, good investigative work! I checked my "About" info in Logos 3, I too got it in the Library Builder Combo 2007. Thanks!

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 5:58 AM

Mark Watson:
I would like for Logos to offer an upgrade package deal on the four licenses that you are missing, instead of having to purchase them individually.

I also acquired the 15 volumes through Library Builder. I purchased the other 4 volumes in January 2010. From my order history, it looks like I got a package deal for them—$ 71.21. individual prices total $ 94.96. Call Sales, and I am sure they can work out a similar deal for anyone else.

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 11:17 AM

R. Kent Hughes is the editor, not author, of some of the volumes. Check for the series and see if you have some with diferent authors.

Posts 121
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 4:59 PM

Dominick Sela:
Mark you win the prize, good investigative work! I checked my "About" info in Logos 3, I too got it in the Library Builder Combo 2007. Thanks!

Dominick,

Thanks for the compliment.

Don,

Checked both L3 and L4 by searching for resources with title "preaching the word" to see if they were there even if not authored by R. Kent Hughes.  Did not have the ones that this post is about.  Please read results of investigation from L3 that I wrote earlier.  15 of this series were in the Library Builder Combo 4-7 in 2007; not all 19 volumes of the series.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS