Right-Click Menu - Can I add more resources?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 343
Jason Saling - www.NapavineBaptist.com | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 28 2010 11:02 PM

When I right click on a word, I see 5 dictionaries, is there a way to add more than that to the list?  I understand that the top 5 in my prioritized list are the ones that show, but I have three top english dictionaries as well as around 6 top bible dictionaries that I wish would all show up in the menu.  If I can't do that, is there another simple way to look up a word in my dictionaries without doing the passage guide or searching a collection?  (I just thought of the search collection idea as I was writing this post, perhaps that's the best way to do it when I want to search more than 5.)

Jason Saling

Posts 343

Actually "searching" it is not a good idea, because then it shows you that word multitudes of times in the definition/content of other key-words. Tongue Tied Any other solutions?

Jason Saling

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:26 AM

Jason Saling:

Actually "searching" it is not a good idea, because then it shows you that word multitudes of times in the definition/content of other key-words. Tongue Tied Any other solutions?

1) Create a parallel resource set with all the resources you might want to look a word up in. To do this, create a collection and check the "Show in parallel resources" checkbox at the upper right of the collection definition.

2) Then on the right-click menu, pick one of your top 5 dictionaries at random. (It will presumably be one of the ones in your PRS.)

3) Then click the + to the right of the tab of that resource which opened, and you'll see a list of all the other resources from your parallel resource set which have that headword in them. This will be the textual list at the right of the new tab, not the list of book covers.

Posts 343

Great! Thanks! This is the kind of thing I was looking for!  It's amazing how sometimes I know how to do something, but I don't *think* of it when I'm trying to accomplish it!

Jason Saling

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:45 AM

Jason Saling:

Great! Thanks! This is the kind of thing I was looking for!  It's amazing how sometimes I know how to do something, but I don't *think* of it when I'm trying to accomplish it!

I'd actually never used this exact series of steps before but figured it out when prompted by your question. So I'm glad you asked. I now have another tool in my kit. Smile

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:33 AM

Rosie Perera:

1) Create a parallel resource set with all the resources you might want to look a word up in. To do this, create a collection and check the "Show in parallel resources" check box at the upper right of the collection definition.

2) Then on the right-click menu, pick one of your top 5 dictionaries at random. (It will presumably be one of the ones in your PRS.)

3) Then click the + to the right of the tab of that resource which opened, and you'll see a list of all the other resources from your parallel resource set which have that headword in them. This will be the textual list at the right of the new tab, not the list of book covers.

Rosie, I tried this as I have not done it before. I have a Collection of Church history, built via "title:Church AND title:History OR subject:History", which has 366 resources. I ensure the check box was selected, "Show in Parallel Resources. Then I Just clicked one of the books and opened it, it happened to be The Antichrist Theme in the Intertestamental Period, but I tried with other books too.  When it opened, I clicked the + in the next tab, and it only shows 6 resources.

I tried this with other collections too. What am I doing wrong?

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:49 AM

Jason, you can also select power lookup and it will give you a list of definitions for that word.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:28 AM

Jerry Mclean:

Jason, you can also select power lookup and it will give you a list of definitions for that word.

I forgot to add that you need to clear all links on your power lookup first.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:40 AM

Jerry Mclean:

Jerry Mclean:

I forgot to add that you need to clear all links on your power lookup first.

Also it helps to drag power lookup to a large pane.

Posts 527
Ebbe Andréasson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:59 AM

Dominick Sela:

Rosie, I tried this as I have not done it before. I have a Collection of Church history, built via "title:Church AND title:History OR subject:History", which has 366 resources. I ensure the check box was selected, "Show in Parallel Resources. Then I Just clicked one of the books and opened it, it happened to be The Antichrist Theme in the Intertestamental Period, but I tried with other books too.  When it opened, I clicked the + in the next tab, and it only shows 6 resources.

I'm not sure but I think you only can see resources in the Parallell resource set which contain an similar article. If you have looked up Moses in your "first" resource, then the only resources showing up in parallell resource set is resources containing article: "Moses".

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:16 PM

EbbeAndréasson:

Dominick Sela:

I'm not sure but I think you only can see resources in the Parallell resource set which contain an similar article. If you have looked up Moses in your "first" resource, then the only resources showing up in parallell resource set is resources containing article: "Moses".

Ebbe is right. Parallel resource sets only work for dictionaries and encyclopedias and such, things which are indexed by headwords. You can tell if a resource you're looking at has a headwork index by going to an article that is titled and checking the reference box at the top of the resource. If it shows a page number, click on it and a dropdown menu should drop down. If there is a headword in that menu, you can select it and you'll switch to using the headword index from the page number index. Most regular books (monographs) are only indexed by page number. So if you're looking at a page in one of them and try clicking the + icon, there's no way to say "find me parallel resources that discuss this same material."

Incidentally, another way to look at the parallel resources which contain the same entry as the one you're looking at in one of your reference books is to click the parallel resources icon on the toolbar of that resource. It looks like a rounded square with two vertical parallel lines in it. If a resource does not have one of those icons, it doesn't have any parallel resources.

So the only way to use your History collection would be to search through it for Antichrist to find all the resources in that collection which reference that them.

But try this trick with a parallel resource set of reference books (e.g., Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopedias, or Lexicons) and you'll find how useful it can be.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS