Computer specs used @ Logos for large libraries

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1311
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 13 2020 8:40 PM

John Morgan:

Thanks JRS.  I just watched all three videos in this serious on how to build your own computer and it doesn't seem as easy as you make it out.  https://youtu.be/WXwMbmhCQuY  I am looking to get a custom built desktop, but I think I'll have the folks like OriginPC build it for me.

I am not techie but a year ago I built a custom pc for Logos. It was easy, fun and runs Logos like a dream

Posts 17
John Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 6:12 AM

Mike, glad to hear that.  After watching the videos I worried that I would not be able to figure out the right configuration and how to upload the software. I was afraid I'd not get the right power source or right coolant.  And when the guy started uploading all the software I had a hard time following him.  I read a post on common mistakes with uploading that would prevent the software from functioning and how to fix them.  That's when I got scared.  It might seem easy to them, but it always seems easy to experts.  I'm glad you were able to do it yourself.  

Can you share what specs you purchased (e.g., CPU, memory, RAM etc.)?  

Did you have difficulty uploading software etc?

Thanks!

Posts 810
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 7:47 AM

John Morgan:

Thanks JRS.  I just watched all three videos in this serious on how to build your own computer and it doesn't seem as easy as you make it out.  https://youtu.be/WXwMbmhCQuY  I am looking to get a custom built desktop, but I think I'll have the folks like OriginPC build it for me.

Having OriginPC build it for you is certainly understandable and sounds like a good solution.

My desktop specs [current]:

CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900k  (base frequency boosted from 3.6 GHz to 4.5 GHz - super easy to do.  This CPU is overkill for Logos but it sure makes it zip)  CPU is cooled with a Corsair h100i water cooler  [CPU upgraded in 2019, water cooler replaced at same time because the old one had started to leak after many years of service]

Motherboard:  AsRock Taichi Z390 Ultimate  [upgraded in 2019 with the CPU]

Memory: 32 GB  Corsair Dominator @ 2.67 GHz  [re-used in several systems from many years back - Note that ram speed doesn't affect system speed or Logos significantly so save $$ by purchasing lower speed ram]

Video Card:  EVGA RTX 2070 [new in 2019, replaced older EVGA GTX 970 - this is overkill for Logos but the nVidia card helps a lot with other programs that I use]

SSD:  Samsung 960 Pro  1TB [can't remember when I first obtained this ssd, but it is still adequate even tho it is "legacy"]

Power Supply:  Corsair AX 850  [again, used in several builds from years ago]

Monitor: LG 32GK850F [relatively new (2018?) because I wanted/needed more real estate/viewing area (32" measured diagonally).  I am not a gamer so no need for 4k, 3D, curved surface, super high refresh rates, etc. - just a good solid monitor)

Hope this helps.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 2482
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 10:11 AM

John Morgan:
I think I'll have the folks like OriginPC build it for me.

I was thinking the same thing when I contemplated getting a new machine. I decided to get another laptop, but a full-out desktop custom built is probably better for using multiple monitors and such. So far my i9 laptop has no problem whatsoever with a big library, so I don't know how much more performance a desktop would add to Logos. I'm spoiled enough at the moment. YMMV

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 17
John Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 2:06 PM

JRS:

John Morgan:

Having OriginPC build it for you is certainly understandable and sounds like a good solution.

My desktop specs [current]:

CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900k  (base frequency boosted from 3.6 GHz to 4.5 GHz - super easy to do.  This CPU is overkill for Logos but it sure makes it zip)  CPU is cooled with a Corsair h100i water cooler  [CPU upgraded in 2019, water cooler replaced at same time because the old one had started to leak after many years of service]

Motherboard:  AsRock Taichi Z390 Ultimate  [upgraded in 2019 with the CPU]

Memory: 32 GB  Corsair Dominator @ 2.67 GHz  [re-used in several systems from many years back - Note that ram speed doesn't affect system speed or Logos significantly so save $$ by purchasing lower speed ram]

Video Card:  EVGA RTX 2070 [new in 2019, replaced older EVGA GTX 970 - this is overkill for Logos but the nVidia card helps a lot with other programs that I use]

SSD:  Samsung 960 Pro  1TB [can't remember when I first obtained this ssd, but it is still adequate even tho it is "legacy"]

Power Supply:  Corsair AX 850  [again, used in several builds from years ago]

Monitor: LG 32GK850F [relatively new (2018?) because I wanted/needed more real estate/viewing area (32" measured diagonally).  I am not a gamer so no need for 4k, 3D, curved surface, super high refresh rates, etc. - just a good solid monitor)

Hope this helps.

Thanks!  That helps.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 2:18 PM

Back on topic, computer parts have plateaued in performance, so you can run Logos at a fast clip with newish specifications. You have to look out for issues that could hold you back: disk access (SSD greatly preferred), disk space (at least 500G for future proofing), monitor (bigger, sharper, better).

Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 7:09 AM

Trying to remember, but don't think I had Logos on the Tandy 1000. First version I had must have been on the Packard Bell 286. As I recall it was quite snappy. 

TANDY 1000 MS-DOS System / Boot-Disks and Deskmate For all Models ... 

Posts 17
John Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:29 AM

mab:

John Morgan:
I think I'll have the folks like OriginPC build it for me.

I was thinking the same thing when I contemplated getting a new machine. I decided to get another laptop, but a full-out desktop custom built is probably better for using multiple monitors and such. So far my i9 laptop has no problem whatsoever with a big library, so I don't know how much more performance a desktop would add to Logos. I'm spoiled enough at the moment. YMMV

Thanks mab!  That's helpful!

Posts 810
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 2:46 PM

Lee:
You have to look out for issues that could hold you back ...

An "issue" that often holds me back ...

Wink

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 42
Paul Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 6:26 PM

You are a good husband. I buy stuff and my figures out that it's new several weeks if not months later

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS