Feedback Wanted: Changing Author Display Names

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10752
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 6:31 AM

Randy W. Sims:
Faithlife does have an unfortunate tendency to not finish what they star

Finish it before releasing it. Randy is correct, and this is my biggest irritation with FL. We already have far too many half-done features. Please do not add another.

Posts 25886
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 10:09 AM

Definitely, finish it before releasing.

What you haven't indicated clearly is:

• whether the Sidebar Filter is first,last or last,first
  • impact for the author: search field, which is flexible about order and completeness  e.g. author:"T. Alexander" or author:"Alexander, T" for Alexander, T. Desmond
  • impact for strict {Author} extension syntax e.g. must be {Author "Alexander, T. Desmond"}
    • this syntax is also used for results in the Sidebar Filter.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 338
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 10:46 AM

Well, I would ABSOLUTELY want it changed, to be consistent. I have software that lists all the books that I have (Logos, Kindle, epub, hardback, etc.). Then I can do a quick search to see if I have already bought that book in some form. When the names are inconsistent, it could lead to my repurchasing a book I already have in my library. So, yes, please make it consistent!

Posts 28595
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 1:56 PM

Charlene:
Well, I would ABSOLUTELY want it changed, to be consistent.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that it shouldn't be changed... To the contrary, I would guess that most of us think it is long overdue. The only question is should the change be made BEFORE the "last name, first name" issue can be resolved. For me, the answer is a resounding "no." To do otherwise would make the medicine worse than the disease. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1067
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 3:38 PM

JT (alabama24):
I don't think anyone here is arguing that it shouldn't be changed... To the contrary, I would guess that most of us think it is long overdue. The only question is should the change be made BEFORE the "last name, first name" issue can be resolved. For me, the answer is a resounding "no." To do otherwise would make the medicine worse than the disease. 

Agreed.
I have my Personal Books word files in folders on my PC on First  Last ordering and a couple of times I have messed up because of it. Just don't ask WHY I have them that way and don't change them!!! 

Posts 11228
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 3:50 PM

JT (alabama24):
To do otherwise would make the medicine worse than the disease. 

I'm likely completely off-base (as usual), but the software change seems like an multi-locational undertaking (risk-prone). Sitting on the downhill side of a major update, while battling Corona doesn't seem like an easy to-do.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1310
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 5:18 PM

JT (alabama24):

Kyle G. Anderson:

The new primary sort order in the details view in the library will be “First Last”.

We will probably be able to change this in the future back to “Last, First,” but we didn’t want to hold up shipping these improvements unnecessarily.

I guess I will be the odd one out. I don't think you should make the change until you can keep it "Last, First." The author's first name is often irrelevant. What if I remember the first letter(s) of the author's last name (which is a frequent occurrence) but not the (irrelevant) first name? Now, I simply scroll through my library looking for author's last name. I won't be able to do that with this change. 

I am strongly against this move. 

Agree with JT 1000%. I'd rather deal with the inconsistency now and wait unit you can ship with Last, First, even if that meant waiting another year. A First, Last sort order wouldn't be very helpful and, IMHO, would be more of a nuisance than anything.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1310
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 5:20 PM

JT (alabama24):

To do otherwise would make the medicine worse than the disease. 

This is what I was trying to say in my reply, but didnt say it near this well!

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 28595
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 6:22 PM

Denise:
I'm likely completely off-base (as usual),

But we love you anyways. Smile

My personal trainer took his honeymoon in your neck of the woods. When he told me where he had gone and showed me the pictures, I thought of you. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11228
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 8:23 PM

JT (alabama24):
My personal trainer took his honeymoon in your neck of the woods. When he told me where he had gone and showed me the pictures, I thought of you. Smile

Well, I sure hope they had a great time! And a nice future.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS