Best Method - Guides, Tools, etc

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 66
Chuck | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:30 AM

I am in my first year using Logos. I have gained a lot of ground, but I still have nagging doubts in the back of my mind over whether I'm using the best method to get the most from my study time. Plus, when there are several possible approaches, I also feel like I'm on information overload. The feelings of nagging doubts and information-overload while attempting to study, are, of course, counter-productive.

For example, when studying a topic, there are at least these several approaches:

• Bible Browser (Tools > Reference > Bible Browser)
  • Factbook (Tools > Factbook)
  • New Nave's Topical Bible
  • Passage List (Docs > New > Passage List)
  • Sermon Starter Guide (Guides menu > Guides > Sermon Starter Guide)
  • Study command (entered via the GO Box - open built-in Topic or Passage Study layouts)
  • Topic Guide (Guides menu > Guides > Topic Guide)
  • Workflow - Biblical Topic Study (Guides menu > Workflows > Biblical Topic Study)

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:41 AM

These are all great resources. For studying a topic, consider the topic guide as increasingly deprecated. I would either use the Factbook (which will pull from Nave and other resources) or the workflow, depending on how much handholding you want. The passage list is a good place to store your own research, but is not very helpful for beginning a study, and the Sermon starter guide is a little bit clunky when you do not want all the extra things it includes. The Go Box is almost always a good option. 
I know Logos has done free short courses on studying a passage before, but I have not seen one on doing a topical study. 

Posts 219
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:42 AM

What is the focus of your study? Personal growth, Sermon preparation, Seminary, etc? 

Posts 2443
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:53 AM

I have been using the Passage Study Layout for the longest time, but the main thing you want to do is define what you are looking for and then pick a method that is appropriate. I use the Passage Study because I often don't know even the right questions to be asking unless I've been working in a given portion of scripture for some time.  

I can't emphasize enough the need to read the portion enough. You can make a simple layout with a couple of Bibles and a good single-volume commentary to help you decide where you need to go next. Don't let Logos overwhelm you. I still don't use a lot of the tools because I just haven't found a need for them and that's perfectly alright. Make Logos work for you. Don't let Logos dictate your choices.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 66
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:16 AM

Justin Gatlin:

These are all great resources. For studying a topic, consider the topic guide as increasingly deprecated. I would either use the Factbook (which will pull from Nave and other resources) or the workflow, depending on how much handholding you want. The passage list is a good place to store your own research, but is not very helpful for beginning a study, and the Sermon starter guide is a little bit clunky when you do not want all the extra things it includes. The Go Box is almost always a good option. 
I know Logos has done free short courses on studying a passage before, but I have not seen one on doing a topical study. 

Justin: I very much appreciate the input. --Thanks, Chuck

Posts 66
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:17 AM

MWW:

What is the focus of your study? Personal growth, Sermon preparation, Seminary, etc? 

I do sermon prep and write and publish articles on Biblical subjects. --Thanks.

Posts 66
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:31 AM

mab:

I have been using the Passage Study Layout for the longest time, but the main thing you want to do is define what you are looking for and then pick a method that is appropriate. I use the Passage Study because I often don't know even the right questions to be asking unless I've been working in a given portion of scripture for some time.  

I can't emphasize enough the need to read the portion enough. You can make a simple layout with a couple of Bibles and a good single-volume commentary to help you decide where you need to go next. Don't let Logos overwhelm you. I still don't use a lot of the tools because I just haven't found a need for them and that's perfectly alright. Make Logos work for you. Don't let Logos dictate your choices.

I appreciate the input. It sounds particularly practical to approach studying with the idea to "make Logos work for you; don't let Logos dictate your choices." With this thought in mind, I suppose the main thing is to jump in and start studying without worrying so much about the tools I end up using or not using.

Nevertheless, I tend to be an organized, methodical person; therefore, I imagine that I will develop habits and have sort of an order that I follow, including the tools I use when doing research. Really, this process has already begun. I have shortcuts to tools that I have noticed that I like and placed them in logical order in the shortcut area of the toolbar in Logos. I have also saved my "Main," default study layout.

Posts 219
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 11:35 AM

A few things that have helped me.

1. Your approach of developing a goto Layout is important. You can also customize guides within your layout to your own needs and liking. 

2. Workflows are a good place to start. I find they take me outside of my normal routine... so they are good to learn. There are a number of custom workflows that various preachers have made available in the docs menu, public, workflow template type. 

3. Mastering a few search techniques can get you through the overwhelming amount of information glut. For instance I was preparing a sermon about Paul's stress management techniques. A few basic searches such as: (effect, affect) NEAR stress; Stress WITHIN 3 WORDS manage;  Paul NEAR (hardships, challenges, distress);  gave me lots of good food for thought.

4. If you can afford it invest in resources that will help you. I'm not a Baptist but probably the best investment I have made in sermon prep is the Baptist Gold Base Package. Lots of preaching related resources/sermons/illustrations, etc. On sale now for 30% off.  

5. 20$/month will get you into MP Seminars where you can do CampLogos8 course that normally would cost $300. A great value and you can cancel at any time.  https://mpseminars.com/course/camp-logos-for-8/  

Posts 2005
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2020 7:22 AM

Chuck:
I do sermon prep

In one of my seminary classes we had to put together a flow of how a Pastor might best use 15 hours of weekly sermon prep. The attached graphic is a representation of my flow and lists the Logos tools I use in each activity. 

I have now incorporated this flow into a WORKFLOW that I use for Textual sermons.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2020 7:48 AM

MWW:
1. Your approach of developing a goto Layout is important. You can also customize guides within your layout to your own needs and liking. 

This was a game-changer for me.

After creating custom layouts and I tweaked my guides with commentary and book collections that I use for my study helped me get into study quickly, getting what I "usually" want for the type of study I needed to get into  (stages of sermon prep, pastoral counseling prep, writing and prep for papers in my coursework (I would create a layout for each new course). I removed the parts of the guides I didn't find myself using to eliminate clutter.

Then I made an "Update Current Layout" shortcut on my toolbar to save my progress with a click of the button when I was done for the day to easily pickup next time.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 66
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2020 8:41 AM

I appreciate all the input. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS