.Net Problems and Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 82
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:54 PM

Greetings and Salutations. . .

I posted this in the general forum, but got only one response. Maybe I posted it in the wrong forum, so I'm trying this one.

I pray someone reading this may have a suggested solution. My system: Windows XP SP3.

Have .Net 1.0, 2.0-SP2, 3.0-SP1, 3.5-SP1. 

Several days ago my .Net framework became corrupted when the automatic update was trying to download an update. Not being able to download, I quickly stopped it and forgot about it. About a day later my .Network update tried again to no avail. Well, this time I thought I can remove all the framework and re-install them. I've done this before, so I am thinking it's no big deal to do this again. Therefore, I removed the framework 1.0, 2.0,3.0 and 3.5, including any SP's involved. After re-installation I tried to use my L4 and got an error message that it did not find the fusion.dll and that re-installation may fix this problem. After clicking OK, another error message: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded." I next tried to re-install L4 but it would not re-install. It simply did not respond. Frozen. However, I've not tried to un-install either.   :-(

I could not reach my notes, my studies, my bookmarks or any of my data. Neither could I have downloaded them from L4's servers. Is there a way to reach my study notes, my book marks, my documents from the Logos servers or from my own computer? Does Logos have a reader or a viewer that when the program does not work, one can view and print the data one has produced? Is Logos considering a PDF utility that we can create PDF documents?

One last thought: why is it that L4 must depend on .Net framework, when Libronix 3 does not? Why is this?  
I pray to the all Wise God that someone may have a solution. 

Blessings. . .

Eis Cristos

Al

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:12 PM

You might try following the instructions found here to uninstall and reinstall .NET: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/928680-latest-windows-xp-updates.html.  (See post by Gemini43 for the steps.)  Other users who were affected by the update had success doing this.

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:40 PM

It took care of my problem, but Microsoft yellow update button kept coming up.  I selected to customize the install, unchecked the updates and Microsoft asked if I wanted to "hide" them which I did.  I do not get the yellow update button and everything works fine for me after I followed Melisa's instructions......

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 82
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:36 PM

Melissa,

Thank you.  I have already downloaded the files from the site you referenced. I will try this later in the week. It seems that this will take some time. It's funny because my Libronix 3 still works very well. I'm still at a loss as to why Logos would depend on something like .Net framework, when this layer of software seems to give many people problems. Either way, I'm going to try it. I will let you guys know what happens. . .

Guys, thank you so much. God bless.

Blessings. . .

Eis Cristos

Al

Posts 26586
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:50 PM

AlfredoSosa:
It's funny because my Libronix 3 still works very well. I'm still at a loss as to why Logos would depend on something like .Net framework,

Libronix 3 does not depend on .NET, it depends on Internet Explorer (IE)!  It's swings and roundabouts Alfredo, because whilst .NET is currently providing some grief to users it will soon be the turn of IE9 to impact Libronix 3.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:03 PM

AlfredoSosa:
I'm still at a loss as to why Logos would depend on something like .Net framework

Almost all software is made of layers. A higher layer asks a lower one to provide some kind of service, feature or function to be performed.

If you open the Help - About screen for Logos4, you will see that it draws on a number of tools for portions of what it does. This is normal for software.

The .NET Framework is a rather large and powerful library of tools and modules that allow all kinds of things. If Logos did not use .NET, they would have needed to use something else, or write much much more than they have.

I would rather Logos spends time thinking and working on the bits we see, and don't need to spend much time on what kinds of computer we have. Or how many screens it has. Or what screen-resolution we are using today. Or what kind of printer we have. Or what drive we installed our files to. Or how to access the Homepage for Logos.com, or a topic from Topics.Logos.com. And so on ...

Most of this is wrapped up and taken care of by the .NET Framework. Logos can focus on using those computer-resources to perform the core functions we want from the final application.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS