New Prepub: Word Biblical Themes (15 Vol) Need Screenshots

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 17
Tim McMillian | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 27 2020 12:28 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/190930/word-biblical-themes-collection 

It is difficult to tell whether this will be a nice addition to our Logos libraries or add further bloat duplicating functions and resources already available in Logos. There doesn't appear to be much information on Amazon either. Reviews for the volumes on Amazon appear to be divided. 

WE WILL NEED SAMPLES OF THE INDEX AND PAGE ENTRIES TO DETERMINE WHETHER THIS RESOURCE WILL BE A HELPFUL ADDITION TO OUR LIBRARY OR NOT. 

Posts 4096
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 1:04 PM

I checked Amazon quickly and didn't notice any previews... Zondervan didn't have any either!

https://www.zondervan.com/9780310115847/word-biblical-themes-collection/ 

Posts 580
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 3:02 PM

Hi Tim,

We are aware that many wish to view sample pages for this product, and we are planning to make them available. 

Posts 32
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 3:32 PM

I have 3 volumes in the series, in dead tree version;

They complement the WBC.  But agree you need screenshots for them.

I have the volumes on Kings 1989, Psalms 1987, and Daniel 1989.  Bought while in my last year of seminary. 

Posts 2712
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 3:39 PM

Phil Tuften:

I have 3 volumes in the series, in dead tree version;

They complement the WBC.  But agree you need screenshots for them.

I have the volumes on Kings 1989, Psalms 1987, and Daniel 1989.  Bought while in my last year of seminary. 

Phil,

What aspect of ministry do you find them useful for? How were they used in your seminary training?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 32
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 3:52 PM

Beloved,

Bought them out of interest for essay material.  To give you an idea.

All are sets of essays on topics within the books

Kings by T R Hobbs

1. introduction

the perspective of 1 & 2 Kings

sources

structure

historical background

2. Kings

the role of kingship in Israel

Kings in the Torah

royal examples

other topics: prophets; people of God; the covenanted lands and Judgement, Hope and Anger of God

All volumes about  99 pages.  

Was interested in this volume because of the author's 2 Kings WBC.

Psalms is similar essays by Allen; Goldingay does Daniel.

While you can now find similar essays in other sources now, at the time these were good.  You may use them depending on your needs.

Posts 2712
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 4:21 PM

Phil Tuften:

Beloved,

Bought them out of interest for essay material.  To give you an idea.

All are sets of essays on topics within the books

Kings by T R Hobbs

1. introduction

the perspective of 1 & 2 Kings

sources

structure

historical background

2. Kings

the role of kingship in Israel

Kings in the Torah

royal examples

other topics: prophets; people of God; the covenanted lands and Judgement, Hope and Anger of God

All volumes about  99 pages.  

Was interested in this volume because of the author's 2 Kings WBC.

Psalms is similar essays by Allen; Goldingay does Daniel.

While you can now find similar essays in other sources now, at the time these were good.  You may use them depending on your needs.

Thanks Phil,

They are expensive and incomplete. I'm leaning towards passing. I have other resources that cover the topics you have identified. In my ministry my duties center around conducting Bible study and Sunday school, although I have been called upon to present a sermon this is not a fixed duty. I can't justify a need for this resource. Thanks for your input.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 17
Tim McMillian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 5:41 PM

Thank you Joe!

You understand I'm sure, it's difficult to make any commitment to purchase something without knowing the content. 

Thanks again and God bless!  

Posts 17
Tim McMillian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 5:47 PM

Thanks Phil for commenting and sharing of the material in the books. 

As you know, we already have other resources in Logos that provide outlines and biblical themes, and this is why I wanted to know the content of these books to ensure I'm not investing in something that I already have elsewhere. 

God bless! 

Posts 607
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 9:39 PM

Thank you, All. This is an intriguing set, but I, too, would like more information before taking the plunge.

Posts 7516
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 10:08 PM

NSBT seems better for some reason.  As stated, there are other theological writings that could prove more useful than this set.  Not to mention is kinda pricey.

DAL

Posts 2493
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 10:36 PM

That this appears to have been around awhile, isn't nearly complete to the 60+ WBC volumes out after so long, and probably overlaps other material in my library, it doesn't look very appealing. If the publisher abandoned the series development, it is a shadow of its excellent counterpart. Maybe it just wasn't managed right.

I hope I am wrong on all counts as I value WBC a lot. Sad.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS