ICC volume on Ecclesiastes

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 28 2020 9:23 AM

I've been wanting a good critical commentary on Ecclesiastes. I was planning to wait until AYBC went back on sale and pick up that volume, but I noticed the new ICC volume on prepub. I've really appreciate the new volumes in that series on Isaiah. Is anyone aware of good reviews on this new volume? I'm wrestling with whether to pick it up. I'm a local pastor who still wants to consult the critical issues in sermon prep, if that gives you a sense of how I would use it. I'm considering applying to a PhD program. I generally appreciate commentaries that address critical issues but still come back to commenting on the text as a whole. I tend to find commentaries that are nothing but a series of text critical notes and source studies less helpful.

Thanks for any guidance!

https://www.logos.com/product/189034/ecclesiastes-1-5-a-critical-and-exegetical-commentary

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:41 AM

Not answering your question (an existing review).

But your query prompted me to buy the volume. And I signed up for the prepub on Exodus (Davies).

Just my perceptions (smiling):

- The author is a definite chatty-Cathy. My impression; it's in-depth but lots of patience needed.

- The external examples aren't anchored (eg background, parallels, etc). Nor does he get too excited about mixing/matching whole eras, while generalizing up a storm.

But that said, maybe it's about what you wanted ... good critical background, but 'the point' in the foreground.

BTW, as above, not a prepub ... buy it, and see how it fits (else refund).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2020 6:11 AM

This is really helpful. Thanks, Denise!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS