The Next Chapter in the EEC

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 1 2020 11:08 AM

The Evangelical Exegetical Commentary series is a top-tier commentary sure to be the bedrock of your bible study. These acclaimed volumes are essential resources marked by three distinctives: they’re comprehensive without compromise; they’re written by today’s top scholars; and they’re unapologetically evangelical.

Re-introducing the EEC

When the EEC was launched back in 2011, it promised to be the most advanced biblical commentary ever produced. It was the first time a major Bible commentary series had been published in digital form before its print counterpart—and the first time one had been published with a digital format in mind.

A lot has happened since the series was first announced. Lexham Press as a publishing house has matured and grown. And our commitment to see this project through hasn’t wavered. There have been ups and downs—every major commentary series covering all of Scripture has had a similarly winding journey—but we’re in a better position than we’ve ever been to pursue the vision of the EEC with excellence. The currently published volumes, and the praise they’ve received from academics and pastors alike, speak for themselves.

We’re proud and excited to announce a number of new developments for the series. These changes should only serve to reinforce the fundamental mission of the EEC: to deliver thoroughly scholarly commentaries that don’t compromise on evangelical convictions, so that you can confidently use these volumes week in and week out in your sermon and teaching preparation and personal research and writing.

So take a look at what’s new with the EEC—we think you’ll really like what you see.

A NEW look

The first thing you’ll notice is a completely new look for the series. The original covers that were designed for the series were functional, but they weren’t very inspiring. Design is a core value for Lexham—which wasn’t necessarily true back in 2011—and these new covers for the series reflect this passion. We wanted the outside of these volumes to match the high quality content that can be found on the inside.

The EEC debut of NEW Testament editor Andreas J. Köstenberger

Andreas Köstenberger joins the team as the new New Testament editor. Dr. Köstenberger is a leading New Testament scholar, prolific author, and editor of the premiere evangelical theological journal, employing his commitment to bringing biblically centered resources to the church. He’s joined by Ben Gladd who will be serving as Assistant New Testament Editor.

NEW authors

A number of new authors have signed up to take on volumes that had been floundering.

• Andrew Abernathy & Michael McKelvey on Psalms
  • Bryan Estelle on Proverbs
  • Ben Gladd on Mark
  • Andreas Köstenberger on John
  • Jay Smith has joined Wayne House on 1 Corinthians
  • Bryan Tabb on 1 and 2 Thessalonians
  • Brandon Crowe on James
  • Susan Hecht on 2 Peter

There are still a few volumes that do not have an author attached yet. The editorial team is hard at work looking for new scholars who are excited to contribute to a top-tier biblical commentary.

Comprehensive without compromise

The Evangelical Exegetical Commentary series will continue to provide exhaustive exploration that’s never exhausting—meeting the exacting standards of critical biblical scholarship. It is the trusted commentary you’ll turn to again and again.

Posts 3884
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 11:22 AM

Thank you Jake!  I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!!!  Any idea what volume might come out next and when? :)

Also, Jude is missing its artwork for some reason

Posts 489
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 11:32 AM

Thank you Jake. I appreciate the update and I definitely appreciate the commentaries! The new page looks good, but I really think you should make it clear there that some of the volumes don't have authors assigned and many are years away from completion. It has taken 9 years to produce the first 13, so at the current rate it will be close to 20 years to complete the set. That helps people make an informed decision when they purchase the entire set.

Posts 65
C.J. Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 11:33 AM

Thank you for the update Jake, it is appreciated. Really good to hear about the continued commitment and developments. The new cover design is nice too.

Clint Scott   Author | Humble Majesty   www.humblemajesty.com
Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 12:22 PM

Mattillo:
Jude is missing its artwork for some reason

Yes, Jude and a handful of other volumes are missing artwork. We have artwork selected and the covers should be updated soon.

Posts 3692
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 2:48 PM

Following ...

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 215
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2020 6:43 AM

Hi,

I think your website needs updating for the 13-vol bundle - I think it is missing Daniel.

It says on the left that if I hide owned resources, I have $0 to spend. Yet the dynamic price is $24.86!

Hope that helps you to fix this issue.

James

Posts 3884
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 3 2020 6:18 PM

Jake Mailhot:

Mattillo:

Yes, Jude and a handful of other volumes are missing artwork. We have artwork selected and the covers should be updated soon.

Jake

How do we get the updated artwork to appear on our computers?  I'm using a MacBook. The updated covers show on my iPad but not on my computer. I tried deleting and redownloading the book.

Posts 3884
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2020 12:47 PM

Mattillo:

Jake Mailhot:

Mattillo:

Jake

How do we get the updated artwork to appear on our computers?  I'm using a MacBook. The updated covers show on my iPad but not on my computer. I tried deleting and redownloading the book.

Still not updating on my Mac... anyone else having this issue?

Posts 252
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 12:03 PM

Mattillo:

Mattillo:

Jake Mailhot:

Mattillo:

Jake

Still not updating on my Mac... anyone else having this issue?

My PC is still not updated with the new covers either.

Posts 3884
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2020 7:01 AM

BUMP

Still no updated images on MAC (and from above PC)

Showing updated covers in mobile though

Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2020 8:06 AM

Mattillo:
How do we get the updated artwork to appear on our computers?

This is being investigated. It's unclear what the issue is currently.

Posts 10951
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2020 8:40 AM

Mattillo:
Showing updated covers in mobile though

Mobile does a cover refresh each time. And since I usually operate offline, all, some and none of the resources have covers, depending on the update process. Of course, Noet long lost all its covers. Sort of a used-book shop.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 18
Jeremy Hulsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2020 5:17 PM

This is an exciting series that I hope is completed. I'm not too particularly concerned about the book covers as I am about the content and completion of the unpublished works. 

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 8:48 AM

Is the edition of James by Varner going to get the new cover or keep the original?

Posts 3884
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 1:23 PM

Ronald Quick:

Is the edition of James by Varner going to get the new cover or keep the original?

Doubtful as it was pulled for plagiarism or undocumented sources.  An amazing volume and a shame... wish they would have just revised it but not my call.  Either way, I doubt they would redo the cover.  They have a new one in the works by a different author so that one will probably get the new cover.

New covers still NOT showing on desktop

Posts 1959
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 2:20 PM

Mattillo:

Ronald Quick:

Doubtful as it was pulled for plagiarism or undocumented sources.  An amazing volume and a shame... wish they would have just revised it but not my call.  Either way, I doubt they would redo the cover.  They have a new one in the works by a different author so that one will probably get the new cover.

New covers still NOT showing on desktop

Varner did correct the issues in the EEC and it was republished by Fontes Press.

Posts 481
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2020 9:35 AM

Speaking of plagiarism, Köstenberger, the new New Testament editor, had his John commentaries in the Baker Exegetical Commentary Series and Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Series pulled for plagiarizing Carson's commentary.

Given that EEC has already had one commentary pulled for plagiarism, Köstenberger seems like an odd choice.

Posts 2763
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2020 11:40 AM

Köstenberger has already written 5 commentaries on the Gospel of John and a substantial theology on John's Gospel, what more can he add that is not available in those volume.

He is a capable scholar with various expertise in biblical studies, I would have thought that another New Testament book would be assigned to him.

Hopefully we will not be seeing a lot of replication but new material in the EEC volume.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 465
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2020 5:07 PM

For those who do not have Köstenberger's BECNT on John, they may be glad that he is now doing for EEC. 

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS