Input to select, copy and paste verses from a file

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 20 2020 8:47 AM

Much of the work I do entails looking up verses that appear in a commentary by verse-reference only. Is there a way to create a file with verse-references that Logos can read and act upon?

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 2:37 PM

Welcome to the forums. Logos commentaries are already tag with verse references so I am not sure what you are trying to achieve that a Search (or Commentary Passage Guide) doesn't do. Could you add a little more detail?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 3:04 PM

Here is a list of verses from a much longer list:

Nehemiah 12:1

Haggai 1:1

Haggai 1:12

Haggai 1:14

Haggai 2:2

Haggai 2:4

tediously, I had to look up each one, one at a time, manually, and copy and pasted it into the word document that I was createdl It would have been helpful and much less work if Logos could read the file with all these verses and perform the extraction, copying and pasting.

Posts 22830
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 3:08 PM

Would Smart Tags - https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Using_Logos_Smart_Tags - help with this?

Please note this is not officially supported and may stop working at some stage.

Posts 1755
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 3:20 PM

If you want to copy a bunch of verse references from a commentary, try doing this:

Select the passage containing the verse references. Right click, make sure that "Selection" is active at the top, and scroll the right side of the context menu until you can see "Save as Passage List."

Then, in the passage list that pops up, select Print/Export and then Copy to Clipboard.

EDIT: I just noticed that you posted in the Logos 7 forum. Logos 8 flipped the sides on the context menu, so that will be different.

Is there any reason that you are still on Logos 7 (if you are)? There is a free upgrade to Logos 8—https://www.logos.com/product/168880/logos-8-basic

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 4:03 PM

Thanks, Graham,

I looked at the link. I am running Logos Bible Software 7.19 SR-1 7.19.0.0037. Windows 10. The "About Logos" page does not indicate whether I am running Logos/Verbum/Noet (whatever that is.   However, when I performed the drill of Options>Addins>Manage, lo and behold "Logos Bible Software (Bible References) is already an active add-in!   However, typing, say, ! Sam 12:20 (as opposed to ! sam 12:20) and right-clicking does not offer the Additional Actions Menu. I get the same result when I right-click anywhere in the document. I hope the above is meaningful to you and that you or someone can push me along. This does look promising, but I do not understand how I can specify 1) the Logos book to be searched and 2) how I can alternate searching the Hebrew version and an English version. Leonard
Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 4:05 PM

Thanks for your response. I will have to magnify <grin> and review your response later.

The free upgrade looks very attractive.

Leonard

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 7:49 PM

Levi,

My e-mail client is acting up (actually acting poorly). Perhaps by the morning the problem will have cleared up, and I will be able to continue with this matter. Thanks for your patience.

Leonard

Posts 22830
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2020 11:55 PM

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
I am running Logos Bible Software 7.19 SR-1 7.19.0.0037. Windows 10.

The first thing I would do is take the free upgrade to Logos 8 as per Levi's suggestion.

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
The "About Logos" page does not indicate whether I am running Logos/Verbum/Noet (whatever that is.

These are different applications provided by Faithlife with slightly different emphases - they all provide the same basic functionality with access to your library.

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
However, typing, say, ! Sam 12:20 (as opposed to ! sam 12:20) and right-clicking does not offer the Additional Actions Menu.

I don't normally use this capability but did get it working as below:

I did need to configure the 64-bit option of Smart Tags as I am running 64-bit Office. Details on doing this are at the bottom of the link I posted earlier. After doing that and restarting my computer the Smart Tags feature started working.

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
1) the Logos book to be searched

It will use your preferred Bible - there isn't any option to specify another book

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
2) how I can alternate searching the Hebrew version and an English version

as per (1) you won't be able to do this - sorry, I didn't realise that was something you needed to do.

With those limitations I'm not sure this gives you what you are looking for.

Levi's suggestion is much more helpful - and once you create the Passage List you can configure it to display both English and Hebrew verses (using translations / texts of your choice). You can then export the whole to a Word Document.

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2020 5:36 AM

Levi,

Now that my e-mail is working again, I reread your posting more carefully. I infer that when you write "passage that contains the verse reference" you are referring to a commentary, a Logos book. being read or studied in the Logos environment. That won't work for me as the commentaries that I use 1) are not Logos books and 2) are written in Hebrew.

I will follow up on your suggestion about the upgrade . I just have to hear from someone in Logos customer support that I will not lose the books that I have purchased in the move to v.8 Basic.

Posts 7
Leonard S. Berkowitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2020 5:43 AM

Graham,

I get exactly the same list that you pictured, without "Additional Actions. <sigh>

Posts 1755
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2020 5:43 AM

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
That won't work for me as the commentaries that I use 1) are not Logos books and 2) are written in Hebrew.

Oh, I did not understand that.

Leonard S. Berkowitz:
I will follow up on your suggestion about the upgrade . I just have to hear from someone in Logos customer support that I will not lose the books that I have purchased in the move to v.8 Basic.

You will not lose any books by upgrading. See here for more details: https://www.logos.com/ways-to-upgrade-to-logos-8

A quote from that web page says,

"This free version of Logos 8 ensures your software will continue to work on any operating system. It comes with a few new books and a handful of features to give you a taste of what Logos 8 can do. Don’t worry: if you get Basic you won’t lose any features or books you already own."

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS