SUGGESTION: Alternative Saints

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28729
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 22 2020 6:33 PM

I would like to see Richard Symonds' Alternative Saints: The Post-Reformation British People Commemorated by the Church of England. It contains biographic chapters on the following people:

• Thomas More
  • William Tyndale
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Richard Hooker
  • Lancelot Andrewes
  • George Herbert
  • Nicholas Ferrar
  • Charles I
  • Jeremy Taylor
  • John Bunyan
  • Thomas Ken
  • William Law
  • John and Charles Wesley
  • William Wilberforce
  • Charles Simeon
  • John Keble
  • James Hannington
  • Josephine Butler
  • Edward King

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 479
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2020 8:47 AM

So, looking at the list, this is a biography of English people involved in the major historical religious events? Or is there more to it than that? 

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM || iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum, Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite. | Silver: Ordinariate. Anglican | Bronze: Standard, Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 28729
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2020 2:48 PM

They are people honored in the Alternative Service Book i.e. Anglican saints. I believe it parallels Martin Draper's The Cloud of Witnesses which contains prayers and readings. But I am not sure I understand your question, so I'm not sure I answered it. Most churches don't have a formal canonization process so be recognized as a saint primarily means being included in service books.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS