Recommendations wanted for 'spot-on" resources?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 91
John W | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 4 2020 11:43 AM

I am looking for recommendations of authors of theology/commentaries (in Logos) that are insightful beyond the normal' not unnecessarily wordy; get right to the point & and are readable.

An example for me is M.S. Mills in his - Life of Christ study guide: Mills, M. S. The Life of Christ: A Study Guide to the Gospel Record. Dallas, TX: 3E Ministries, 1999. Print.

I have so many and rarely get to them all. So I'd like to know who should be my initial "go-to" authors.

Posts 29097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2020 3:38 PM

John W:
So I'd like to know who should be my initial "go-to" authors.

It depends. Different theological traditions are open to different hermeneutical tools and, therefore, to different commentaries. Some people are impressed by "techinical" commentaries by which they mean oriented towards grammar, syntax, and other linguistic/philological concepts. I tend to be drawn to form, rhetorical, literary, socio-cultural, reception history oriented commentaries.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 91
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2020 7:40 PM

Among your theological tradition who are authors of theology/commentaries (in Logos) you find insightful beyond the normal' not unnecessarily wordy; get right to the point & and are readable?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS