Curiosity: A Technical Question

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 389
Batman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 8 2020 3:27 AM

So this is just a question of curiosity for technical wizards. 
After my 90th laptop/computer in 15 years (barely a slight exaggeration) I'm sitting here, reinstalling literally everything all over again; and, Logos, like other updates and downloads, says "Preparing to install" or "Preparing to download"; the latter sounds more like a politician who is announcing they are going to announce they are running for office. "We are preparing to prepare to download" almost kind of thing. Why isn't it just "Downloading"? 
Just curious, and tired, but can't sleep kind of thing. But, if anyone has an answer, Thanks. 

Posts 1926
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 5:49 AM

I think it's just doing assessment on your drive to determine your space and whatnot, and it does take a while if your hard drive isn't an NVME. 

Also, normally when I do re-installation, I would just start it right before going to sleep, then when I wake up, voila...it's done. 

Posts 2310
LogosEmployee

It's doing things like syncing your documents and other data and retrieving metadata for resources. In a technical sense this is "downloading", but it's not downloading your books, so it's kept distinct.

Posts 389
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 7:44 PM

Mike, 

Thanks. Oh, this was a complete nightmare. One would think I'd be used to things by now. Im actually going minimalist on install, because I have no doubts this Dell is a PoG and will be dying again, soon. I'm not sure if I hope it's before the year's warranty is up or if it dies after, when assurion takes over. Either way, I seriously doubt it will be a quick "Oh, Sorry this happened to you, sir" fix. Instead, I expect "Sorry sir, but, your "No Hassle" insurance means, "No hassle to us", as we don't repair the products we insure. we just collect the money, and find every excuse to not honor our word",. 
Not sure what an NVME is, but, it's an SSD, and the 2nd is the old 5400RPM HDDs 

mike:

I think it's just doing assessment on your drive to determine your space and whatnot, and it does take a while if your hard drive isn't an NVME. 

Also, normally when I do re-installation, I would just start it right before going to sleep, then when I wake up, voila...it's done. 

Posts 389
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 7:46 PM

Andrew,
Thanks. finally almost done. yay! 

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

It's doing things like syncing your documents and other data and retrieving metadata for resources. In a technical sense this is "downloading", but it's not downloading your books, so it's kept distinct.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS