In search of a particular piece of biblical art

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18900
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 20 2020 9:15 PM

A man in my church years ago had a reproduction of a painting of Jesus on the journey to Golgotha, with his loincloth partially falling off. A woman has approached and is tightening it for him.

My friend has no idea what the panting was called or who it was by, and hasn't seen it since. He has not been able to find it online. He asked me for help finding it.

I've tried all my Google skills and Logos Media search skills but can't find it either.

Does anyone with more knowledge of biblical art history remember that particular painting?

Or do you want to have a stab at finding it either in Logos or the web?

Posts 2398
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2020 1:00 PM

I looked but couldn't find anything like you described. Sad

Posts 658
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2020 8:42 PM

I enjoy collecting biblical art in PowerPoint files. This is the closest match I can find.

The Way to Calvary

Christ carries his cross to Calvary which can be seen in the landscape at the upper left. He has fallen to the ground and Saint Veronica, who kneels to the right, holds out her veil to him. According to Veronica's legend, which is not related in the Bible, she wiped Christ's face with her veil (sudarium), and his features were miraculously imprinted on it. The name Veronica means true likeness ('vera ikon'). Behind her are the Virgin and Saint John. The composition, like several others by Bassano, was inspired by an engraving after Raphael's version of the subject (Prado, Madrid).

Artist: Jacopo BASSANO

Medium and support: Oil on canvas

Dimensions: 145 x 133 cm

Acquisition credit: Bought with a contribution from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, 1984

Date made: about 1545-50

National Gallery

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS