Best place to start with Jonathan Edwards

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 9 2020 7:29 PM

Using the current 25% off Upgrades to grab a Reformed Platinum Upgrade, primarily because it worked out a good way to finish off the "Works of Jonathan Edwards" https://www.logos.com/product/145413/the-works-of-jonathan-edwards

So I was wondering, that given that I'm Lutheran (though a big Spurgeon fan) Pastor and thus not as familiar with Edwards, what would you recommend as the best volume in the above to start with?

Posts 2499
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2020 11:36 PM

One way is to tie Notes on Scripture and Blank Bible to your Bible reference priority list in Logos. What Edwards might have thought about a passage you are working on is a cool way to leave some insight into your daily studies.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 162
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2020 8:35 AM

I’m a big Jonathan Edwards fan. Don’t start with volume 1, lol. 

If you like tiny boring details and history, volume 16 is perfect. I read it cover to cover, but that was after being a JE fan for years-others might not care about his personal life. I loved it. 

The suggestion to link to volumes 24 and 15 to see what a JE commentary would be like is a good idea. His desire to see truth everywhere in creation is in volume 11. The life of Brainerd is soul stirring. Volume 2 will make you feel like you’ve been hit by a spiritual sledge hammer, in a good way. Volume 4 is more devotional that I would have imagined. 

Without reading cover to cover, the volumes that have the sermons are great places to start. Can read a sermon in one or two sittings and pick the ones that look interesting. Same with the miscellanies, like short entries of what he thought about various verses and subjects, more so subjects. 

I am just a JE laymen, but I know the guy in this video. He’s a Jonathan Edwards scholar, and he answers basically the question you asked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFP_1_NhKQE

Posts 9
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2020 4:14 PM

Thanks, Tony - just the sort of info I was after Smile.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS