Questions about Adding Resources to Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:15 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased Logos 4.0d and the Tyndale Commentaries.  Before this, I have never used Logos. I read the forum about this and am still confused.  I have these questions:

1) has anyone successfully installed the Tyndale from the CD into L4?  If this set is not available for download, why do I need to call Logos?

2) in general, how do you add a resource to L4?  For example, I just downloaded a free book from Logos.  When I searched the forum and Wiki, I didn't see any information that seemed definitive.  Why is this basic feature so esoteric?

thanks,

David

Posts 9483
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:30 AM

David,

This has confused many.

1. To add a Logos 4 product that you did not obtain directly from Logos you must do one of two things:

(1) Install the product from the disc by allowing Logos 3 to be installed. Activate the product in Logos 3. Then sync your licenses over the Net, close Logos 3 (you can uninstall it if you want). Open Logos 4 which when it syncs up with the Logos server should recognize you are entitled to the new resources and start to download them (or ask your permission to do so). Sometimes it takes awhile for the servers to do this so be patient. You may need to type 'Update Now' in the Logos 4 command box and hit enter once or twice.

(2) Call Logos customer support and ask them to activate your product (you'll need the product key). Then open Logos 4 and follow the steps above to get the resources downloaded into 4.0.

2. You don't need to do anything to get a new resource from Logos into 4.0 No downloading on your part. The server will eventually sync up with your records and download the resource for you. You'll get a notice in the system tray area that you have new resources to add to logos.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 11:14 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  After I posted this, I realized I had to go through the purchase process for the free book from Logos and have Logos 4 see the new license.  Logos 4 downloaded it and installed it for me.

Ok, so it sounds like I need to install Logos 3 from the Tyndale disc, activate the product and license in L3, then download the entire product in L4.  Man, what a drawn-out process.   I figured this will take several hours because of the file size of the Tyndale set?  It is frustrating because I have the disc of the product, and it would be SO much quicker to install the product from the disc.  Again, thanks for your detailed reply.

I am really enjoying the Logos software. It has encouraged me to get back into studying (and not just reading) God's Word.

David

Posts 9483
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 11:26 AM

David L Bailey:
Ok, so it sounds like I need to install Logos 3 from the Tyndale disc, activate the product and license in L3, then download the entire product in L4. 

You can call Customer Service and ask them to activate the product avoiding the need to install Logos 3.

Once that is done and you reopen Logos 4 you can change 'Automatically download updates' to 'No' so Logos 4 will not download all these resources. Then with the CD in the drive, use the Scan command pointed to the correct folder on the CD drive to bring the resources directly into Logos 4. See http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commandsfor the Scan command.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 4:57 AM

Yeah, it looks like I will have to call Logos, since activation by Internet gives me several odd errors. Remember, I was not a Logos customer until I purchased L4 a few days ago. I believe your procedure above is for those who had registered L3 in the past.  I am a new user and only for L4.

David

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 5:03 AM

David L Bailey:

Yeah, it looks like I will have to call Logos, since activation by Internet gives me several odd errors. Remember, I was not a Logos customer until I purchased L4 a few days ago. I believe your procedure above is for those who had registered L3 in the past.  I am a new user and only for L4.

David

I must admit the need for installing L3 in order to get resources into L4 confuses me a bit. Fortunately calling works very well. They've really brought down the amount of time you sit on hold and you always get a person, never a machine. I've had to install several products over the phone since uninstalling L3 and to be honest, I find it easier then installing on the computer directly. Hopefully the ability to install directly from L4 or over the web will become available in the future.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:27 AM

Hello Philip,

That's good news.  I am trying Mark's procedure #1 and see if I can install from disc.  Since my last post, I was able to register L3 and sync the license for the Tyndale set (I think it worked?). Now, I will try to use L4 to add the new set of resources.

David

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:10 AM

Mark,

I ended up calling Logos to activate the Tyndale set.  The download was much smaller than I had thought - less than 70 MB.  I think every Logos user should be given a unique resource activation key or something.  Just a hypothetical scenario:  When you want to add new resource, you click on an "Add Resource" button or type in the SCAN command.  Then, the Logos software should ask for 1) serial number of the product and 2) the user's activation key.  Once confirmed, the Logos software starts downloading the resource. That way, we don't have to call Logos every time.

David

Posts 9483
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:26 AM

I agree that Logos needs to come up with a user controlled way to enter registration information in Logos 4. I think they assumed they would someday eliminate any need for this, but that day hasn't arrived, so it needs to be put on the list of things to do.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS