Upcoming Features - Sermon File

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 146
Brian Maag | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 6 2010 2:44 PM

The support page off Logos.com says during the 3rd quarter, 2010, they are looking to add the "sermon file" feature. Could somebody describe what that will look like or what the functionality will do? I was thinking of some ways to incorporate my past sermons into my Logos, but didn't want to double the work if there's going to be a good feature for sermons in the future.

Thanks for your insights!

Pastor Brian

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 3:06 PM

Nobody knows! But expect better features than L3.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9478
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 3:21 PM

If you haven't seen the older Logos 3 version, it was quite limited in terms of formatting. What it did do was allow you to import your sermons from a program like MS Word and have access to them in Logos. There was some elementary tagging you could do. You could then search on those tags and on Biblical text.

The document containing all your sermons showed up as a single resource in your Library.

This was not a place to prepare sermons and I'm sure it won't be in Logos 4. It will be a place to file sermons so you have access to them in Logos 4.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 32110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 11:25 PM

Brian Maag:
Could somebody describe what that will look like or what the functionality will do?

We've not been given any specific information. I'd be comfortable saying that we'll probably be able to import our sermons from L3. It is probably safe to say that the indexing will be significantly improved. I'm hoping that this also means additional tagging options. In case you aren't familiar with the L3 option for sermons:

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:10 PM

Brian Maag:
I was thinking of some ways to incorporate my past sermons into my Logos, but didn't want to double the work if there's going to be a good feature for sermons in the future.

You should probably  wait until you see the new feature before you do any work to put your sermons into L4, you will be at least doubling your work.  

Posts 9
Adam Posegate | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:15 PM

Any inkling as to whether this will be a paid add-on or a built-in part of Logos 4?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:28 PM

Adam Posegate:

Any inkling as to whether this will be a paid add-on or a built-in part of Logos 4?

My understanding (which may be flawed) is that Logos is moving away from specific addin functionality which operates distinctly different from the program - IOW they want a uniform program to support; because if everyone has the same software, there are fewer variables to support.   That said, I would expect it to be a built in feature.  I could be wrong.

The Hebrew pronunciation Add-in is still in production,, which makes me think that Addin's are not altogether gone.  Then there's PBB on top of sermon file.  You get the point.  It's a variable to which we have no secure pointers.

The short answer is: I hope not however nobody but the folks at Logos knows and they are not talking. Zip it!

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:43 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'd be comfortable saying that we'll probably be able to import our sermons from L3.

We can already do that. I can't remember how I did it (probably "import all") but I have a book in my library by me which is the one sermon I had in L3.

Thomas Black:

Adam Posegate:

My understanding (which may be flawed) is that Logos is moving away from specific addin functionality which operates distinctly different from the program - IOW they want a uniform program to support; because if everyone has the same software, there are fewer variables to support.   That said, I would expect it to be a built in feature.  I could be wrong.

The Hebrew pronunciation Add-in is still in production,, which makes me think that Addin's are not altogether gone.  Then there's PBB on top of sermon file.  You get the point.  It's a variable to which we have no secure pointers.

The model they've moved to is that sometimes additional functionality is available in higher level base packages (not just resources but actual features), so there must still be some concept of addins at an architectural level. So while I do expect Sermon File to be a built in feature, not purchasable as a stand-alone addin, it might not be available to all users, only ones with a certain base level or above.

Greek Pronunciation is an integrated feature available only in Scholar's and above. It will be interesting to see how Logos deals with the Hebrew Add-In which has been in pre-pub since before L4 shipped. I'm guessing it will work the same was as the Greek Pronunciation feature in L3. And I'm guessing that the reason it is taking so long is they have to port it from the old L3 architecture, which it was begun under, to the new L4 architecture. Perhaps they'll release a version that will work with L3 for all those L3 users who haven't upgraded yet but who ordered it in pre-pub. For those who have upgraded already, if it does end up being a fully built-in feature like Greek Pronunciation, I wonder if Logos will be able to honor all the pre-pub orders for everyone who has base packages below Scholar's (assuming this feature will only be available for Scholar's and above). Sounds like a tricky logistical problem for them to solve.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 6:40 AM

Rosie Perera:

MJ. Smith:
I'd be comfortable saying that we'll probably be able to import our sermons from L3.

We can already do that. I can't remember how I did it (probably "import all") but I have a book in my library by me which is the one sermon I had in L3.

This is accomplished in L4 by importing/scanning the compiled sermon file (i.e. the book).  scan c:/path/to/compiled/sermons/

Rosie Perera:
I wonder if Logos will be able to honor all the pre-pub orders for everyone who has base packages below Scholar's (assuming this feature will only be available for Scholar's and above). Sounds like a tricky logistical problem for them to solve.

It seems the more we speculate the more of a mind bender it becomes.  Best just to wait until we have the parts of the puzzle which Logos is holding in their hands.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 6:55 AM

Rosie Perera:
Sounds like a tricky logistical problem for them to solve.

EASY!

Why would it not be just an enabled license key for a given user?

The application will know how to make that feature work if you have the key. It won't care if you purchased it as an "add-on", got it in some package, or won it in a promotion. If you have the key, the feature works. Easy!!!

(But I'm only guessing, so what Thomas said ... Smile)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS